Your Favourite Food Items for Calorie Control?

Options
2»

Replies

• Go4it1985
    Go4it1985 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of soup -- filling and often quite low-calorie. Just watch out for sodium; best if you can make your own soup at home!

Almond milk is great.

I love the non-fat Fage Greek yogurt. 100 calories, filling, tons of protein.

And as others have mentioned, huge salads!

You are soo right about the sodium levels - they are sky-high. I've been trying to pick ones with the lowest. I haven't gotten round to cooking yet but post uni-exams I will :)

I'll have to try almond milk one day - I've seen a lot of people mention it.

I love Greek Yoghurt too! It's a double-whammy winner
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Quest bars
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Babybel mini cheese wheels. They have a strong taste so one is all I ever need, and I like to pair in with an apple or pear.

Greek yogurt with fruit.

8oz of milk mixed with 22g of chocolate protein powder. This is my bedtime treat more often than not.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious! I love creating salads (so much freedom). I think I might give that one a try...
    Dressings are my biggest worry so I usually go for lemon juice, vinegar.

I LOVE to use fat free plain Greek yogurt as a base for creamy dressing! Mix in a little balsamic vinegar, or mustard, or even one of those dressing-packets that are supposed to be mixed with sour cream...and you have a low call dressing that is just delicious. If I have some calories to spare, I'll mix the yogurt with some guacamole...gives you some healthy fats and is yummmmyyyyyy.

Also great for adding flavor but not calories to salads: hot peppers like banana peppers or pepperoncini (rinse first to reduce sodium) or olives (I cut them into pieces bc they do have calories but the flavor is strong enough that small bits work (sometimes I toss them into the salad, sometimes I mix them into the dressing).
  • wwest21
    wwest21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. :)
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains
  • Go4it1985
    Options
    Bump for later. :)

Thank you. I love reading what types of food people are using to help them on their journey. I know that I have a small "stable" of foods that I usually partake from :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I just eat whatever I want to and watch the total calories. I'm not about to spend time and effort obsessing about it or planning meals according to which food has however many calories.
  • ummyasminah
    ummyasminah Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Lentils are amazing -- 210 calories for a cup, and keeps me feeling full for hours. I also eat a lot of fruits and vegetables; a meal of hot stir-fried vegetables is both low in calories and filling to the stomach and to the eyes in term of volume.
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I like to make a big plate of raw veggies yellow or orange bell pepper strips, cucumbers and thin sliced radish and serve with some dip!

string cheese

boiled eggs

Coconut flavored almond milk is wat I use in my protein shake!!

Hot tea made with splenda and a lil powdered creamer

Nature's own double fiber bread with light butter n sugar free jam!!

Celery sticks with a smear of peanut butter
  • oxlisaxo91
    oxlisaxo91 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Skinny cow for that ice cream fix (cookies and cream is to die for)
    Slim noodles I think they're called (in the health food aisle of Coles) for that pasta fix only - 10 calories!!
    Body trim low carb cookies or quest bars
    Weight watchers bacon, can't even tell the difference !!!
  • aleishakrause
    aleishakrause Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Boiled lean turkey brats cut into small circles thrown into a skillet with either some olive oil or I can't believe its not butter with some red/yellow/green bell peppers, fresh mushrooms, and onions and a small bit of low sodium soy sauce. Put it over half a serving of brown rice. Mmmm. Tastey
  • MizSookeh
    MizSookeh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia as well!
    Instead of Up & Go, I opt for the Protein FX Lo-Carb Dutch Chocolate - it has less sugar, 30g protein, and my daily fibre requirements in one go.
    I think it might be a little bit more expensive, at $3.49 from Safeway.
  • dharma73
    dharma73 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    homemade veg soup
  • Go4it1985
    Options
    I'm in Australia as well!
    Instead of Up & Go, I opt for the Protein FX Lo-Carb Dutch Chocolate - it has less sugar, 30g protein, and my daily fibre requirements in one go.
    I think it might be a little bit more expensive, at $3.49 from Safeway.

hmm - I'll keep an eye out for that especially when I re-start weight training. I'll definitely want even More protein then :D
  • KristenMarieRuffles
    KristenMarieRuffles Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    honeydew, mashed butternut squash, dole southwest salad, luigis real italian ice, nature valley chocolate granola thins, small apple sliced with 2 tbsp of kraft banana granola peanut butter, summerfresh light spicy hummus with irrisistibles prairie harvest whole wheat crackers (8 crackers plus 1.5 tbsp of hummus is only 86 calories!), i recently found dempster's thins sliced whole wheat bread (only 45 calories per slice - less than weight watchers bread!), ive found some fantastic recipes on:
    http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/
    and
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/
    including low call enchiladas, low call pizza rolls (i altered the recipe a bit took out the dipping sauce and added some ground beef since hubby has to have meat n his meals and worked them out to only 57 calories per roll!), also made an amazing low cal chicken tortilla soup that tastes amazing and at a cup and a half per serving it definitely fills you up, broccoli and cheese chicken roll ups and much more!
  • rparkman
    rparkman Posts: 15
    Options
    chobani plain fat free yogurt with powdered peanut butter and some agave
    Egg white omlettes
    Fiber one bars
    cottage cheese
    salmon burgers
    oatmeal with flax seed
    water :)

Fiber One bars are delicious, but be careful! They will destroy you if you eat too many close together. Trust me from personal experience, I was in and out of the bathroom for two days straight.
  • DSFfit
    DSFfit Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Baked sweet potato

Popcorn

Eggs. They fill me up for a long time.