calorie maintenance level question!

slightlymentall
slightlymentall Posts: 7 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Mine is 1242.4 so your supposed to minus 500 from that to lose 1-2 pounds a month How do I do that. I am recovering from an E.D and told that I shouldn't eat any less than 1,200 but I would only be eating 700 a day to lose weight! I am so confused..

Replies

• alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    1242.4 Kcal sounds really low for maintenance calories! :noway:
    You must be very small to begin with so I wonder if you should be thinking about losing weight at all unless you're really short.
    How tall are you and how much do you weight?

Btw. What is E.D? Google gave me "Erectile Dysfunction" but something tells me, that's not what you mean.. :huh:
  • slightlymentall
    1242.4 Kcal sounds really low for maintenance calories! :noway:
    You must be very small to begin with so I wonder if you should be thinking about losing weight at all unless you're really short.
    How tall are you and how much do you weight?

Btw. What is E.D? Google gave me "Erectile Dysfunction" but something tells me, that's not what you mean.. :huh:

Lol, E.D sorry. It's eating disorder. I had fear of eating. But this was about 3 or so months ago, I gained most of my weight back and want to lose the 40 pounds HEALTHY to get back down to 100. I am only 5 feet tall. So yea I am really short. I did the math about 4 times to make sure I was doing it right haha.
  • slightlymentall
    my calorie maintenance level is 1242.4 so really I only need to eat 700 calories a day right...?
    Or like I don’t get it… I would like to eat 700 or less (less being ideal) But I don’t get this calorie maintenance levell
  • alantin
    In that case I believe the 1242.4 is your BMR i.e. what you burn if only lie in bed all day long. You need to add about 400-500 Kcal (For sedentary life style) to that to get what you burn in a day doing your normal stuff. You should end up with a 400-500 Kcal deficit if you ate 1200 Kcal a day. I wouldn't recommend eating less than that without consulting a doctor first.
  • alantin
    Here is a Daily Caloric Expenditure calculator that you can use to estimate your daily burned calories.
    http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-burned.php
  • 1200 calories is NOT your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). Never eat under 1200 calories, even a 5 foot 100 lb. 60 year old woman requires more calories than that. If you eat less than 1200 calories your metabolism will slow down and your body will hit starvation response, meaning you won't lose weight at all. You have to eat at LEAST your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), which is the amount of calories you burn in a day doing absolutely nothing. If you go below that number you're going to lose a lot of muscle and bone density in terms of scale weight, not fat.
  • slightlymentall
    It's just super confusing. I don't get it ! I mean i am over weight according to my BMI and logic I am 5 feet and weigh 150 lbs, so im not going to go into starvation.. so I exersize to loose aprx minimum 500 cal a day ... aaggh losing weight isn't supposed to be so confusing. It was all so much easier when I just barely ate ( I know horrible, and I am not E.D's are good just easier and the short cut BUT NOT GOOD for any impressionable people.)
  • slightlymentall
    Everything gives me a different answer. My own math ( done about 5 times to get this) gave me what I posted. and I got 1660 on that site.
  • Don't listen to BMI, first off. That's garbage, it's all about bodyfat percentage and how you FEEL. If you do 500 calories worth of exercise, you have to add the 500 calories to your daily total, not subtract it. I doubt your BMR is below 1200, and since you don't want to go under your BMR in a diet, I recommend you find a calorie calculator.

Find out how many calories are required to maintain your weight (called TDEE), and then subtract 10-20%. No more than that. Scooby has great info, check out the calorie calculator here:

http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/caloriecalculator.htm
  • I did the calculations for you based on the info you gave, your BMR would be 1500, so don't eat less than that. 2000 calories to maintain your current weight, 1649 would be a 20% calorie reduction, that's quite enough to lose weight.
  • alantin
    Everything gives me a different answer. My own math ( done about 5 times to get this) gave me what I posted. and I got 1660 on that site.

There are two different things here. BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is what you calculated yourself and that's the minimum amount of calories your body burns in a day. That is what you burn if you lie in bed all day long without moving a muscle. If you do anything, your body needs to burn more. That 1660 Kcal/day is what you burn in a normal day and that is the number you need to start from. Reduce 500 Kcal from that and you have what you should eat daily to lose 1lbs/week (which is a very healthy pace).
    Losing weight healthily is all about keeping that deficit steady so if you exercise, you'll burn more and will have to compensate for that by eating more. This site makes it very easy to track your eatings and exercise so just input all you eat and make sure you meet the calorie goal the site gives you each day. For you, I think, it will be 1200 Kcal/per day plus your exercise calories.

It will take time to lose the weight but you'll lose pretty steadily and healthily. By the math, you'll be at your goal weight in about 10 months but you'll be pleased about the results long before that.
  • slightlymentall
    Thanks. So I guess.. I can try that. I was honestly just ready to give up again. So I have to eat my exercise calories too..? Cause that kinda sucks.. today i ate 800 cal and i felt bloated..
  • alantin
    You should aim to eat at least half of them. Food is essentially fuel and building blocks for our bodies and the more you move the more your body needs both. Eating too little easily leads to all sorts of funky stuff you'd rather avoid.. Ironically, it can even hinder your weight loss.

If you have eaten very little for a long time, eating more can feel uncomfortable in the beginning and you might see temporary weight gain too but both will go away soon as your body adjusts. In any case, you need to eat enough.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • slightlymentall
    Thanks. I guess once I overcome the guilt I will start to feel better.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    For you, it looks like a mental thing. Once you control food (as opposed to it controlling you), the guilt will go away. Food is nothing more than fuel to make your body go. Choose the right foods and you won't feel bloated. Do some searching online for the term "calorie dense foods" and you'll find food that have a lot of calories but not a lot of bulk. Which will mean you can eat more calories without filling your stomach and making you feel bloated.

good luck,

-Banks
  • I'm sorry, but starvation mode is a myth. Please don't be offended but, I f starvation mode were a reality there would not have been so many emaciated individuals in the concentration camps of WWII. I think the key to all of this is to lose the weight in a healthy and safe manner. I would not think that eating below 1200 calories would be healthy nor safe for the average person eating with the average issues. However, everyone is different and dealing with their own set of specific issues. That is why I would recommend consulting with your doctor or nutritionist before doing anything.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    It's just super confusing. I don't get it ! I mean i am over weight according to my BMI and logic I am 5 feet and weigh 150 lbs, so im not going to go into starvation.. so I exersize to loose aprx minimum 500 cal a day ... aaggh losing weight isn't supposed to be so confusing. It was all so much easier when I just barely ate ( I know horrible, and I am not E.D's are good just easier and the short cut BUT NOT GOOD for any impressionable people.)

The calculator I used for weight loss was this one, which I found to be pretty accurate-
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

-Your maintenance calories are 1,642 if you do little or no exercise (sedentary)
    -to lose weight your calories would be 1,314 with little or no exercise. If you do exercise then you'd add calories to this number. (if you exercise three days a week then you'd eat 1,505 for example).
This discussion has been closed.