Quitting gym - buying new elliptical (help!)

I've decided to quit my gym. I've tried several, and I only became a member of this one because they bought out my former gym. No matter which gym, it has become increasingly harder to get there due to my schedule and my kids' schedules. I've had an elliptical machine at home for about 2.5 years, but about 6 months ago, it had a part break that isn't worth the money to fix, might as buy a new one. Now I'm ready to get the new one and quit the gym, but I have no idea what type to get! I'm looking for recommendations for anyone who has some experience using an elliptical at home (or at least not a commercial one in the gym). Every type seems to have both good and bad reviews, so I'm torn. I can only spend about $500, so my options are somewhat limited. I do know that I want at least a stride of 18", given my height. I'd appreciate any help you all can give on what to buy (or NOT buy)!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    I have a NordicTrack that I got off their website on discontinued sale. I think I ended up paying around $699 for it but they delivered it right to my door so that was a plus. I've had no problems with it in 2 years and it's very sturdy which is important. You don't want to get a cheap one that can sway side to side because it can really mess up your hips.
  • I will check their site - didn't even think of that. I've been looking on sites like Amazon, Sports Authority, SecondWind, etc.
  • just jump rope in your home for 45 min. way more efficient than any gym. its good that you left a gym because machines and COMPLETELY useless for your body. just jump rope a bit, do push ups, squats, and pull ups and fix what you put in your mouth and you will see better results than anyone ever has from walking into a gym.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Have you thought of buying used? I got a commercial grade elliptical for $400 off Kijiji and I love it. LOTS of people buy fitness equipment and just use it for a few months and then lose interest and sell for pennies on the dollar. You're not getting the warranty, but you're getting the quality.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    You could also let your inner MacGyver out and attempt to figure out a replacement part. Or hire a handyman for a small portion of that $500. Could ask for a free consult, then a quote to find and install something. I'm sure he would appreciate knowing a cap up front like $100 for parts and labor.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    What about getting some sets of dumbells and do free videos from youtube like form the befit channel, or fitness blender? It would be like creating your own class gym.
  • Unfortunately, a lot of the 'normal' things that most can do, I can't, as I have ankylosing spondilytis, which puts incredible stress on my SI joint and hips. Jumping jacks and jumping rope are big no-no exercises for me. :( My MD actually recommends swimming (which I love, but no access to a pool) and either elliptical or treadmill (no incline allowed) walking. I'm not even supposed to do more than 30 minutes of walking outside because of uneven surfaces. Makes getting workouts kind of difficult, which is why I'm looking for the home elliptical.
  • Alta2000: I've found some free videos on YouTube, but I end up cutting out a lot, due to my back condition. There is one that says to just walk briskly in place if you can't do some of the moves, so that's what I've done to this point. I'm not much of a video/DVD person when it comes to exercising, partially due to my physical limitations and the fact that when I'm working out, I like to use that as 'zone-out' time - no checking my phone, no watching anything electronic, etc. If anything, I might read a book or mag, but that's about it. I did lose 70 pounds before joining MFP (I did Weight Watchers), and I've maintained that, plus lost a few more, so I'm not looking to lose a huge amount of weight. I really just want something convenient that is okay on my back that will help me maintain what I've lost.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Alta2000: I've found some free videos on YouTube, but I end up cutting out a lot, due to my back condition. There is one that says to just walk briskly in place if you can't do some of the moves, so that's what I've done to this point. I'm not much of a video/DVD person when it comes to exercising, partially due to my physical limitations and the fact that when I'm working out, I like to use that as 'zone-out' time - no checking my phone, no watching anything electronic, etc. If anything, I might read a book or mag, but that's about it. I did lose 70 pounds before joining MFP (I did Weight Watchers), and I've maintained that, plus lost a few more, so I'm not looking to lose a huge amount of weight. I really just want something convenient that is okay on my back that will help me maintain what I've lost.

Pilates should be fine for your back since they were designed by Pilates for people on a hospital bed. On the Befit channel on you tube, you can do any of Leslie Sansone to start, and then just browse what ever else the channel has.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cE1jxDS3HY
    They also have fitnessblender videos which includes pilates or specific areas and for back pain
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbZzeO4P9YA

When you find videos that you like, you can download from cnet.com the freeyoutube downloader. then you just download the videos in the computer to have. When you do the same one every day, you do kind of zone off as you exercise.
    http://cnettv.cnet.com/free-youtube-downloader/9742-1_53-50125137.html
  • Can you ride a bicycle for about the time you walk?
  • If I have to hunch too far forward, no. Also, definitely not on the street - way too bumping/uneven. A bolted bike in a gym, maybe, though the little I've tried of it was not comfortable for my back. It is not as uncomfortable as doing an incline on a treadmill (OUCH!), but still gives some pain. The SI joint impacts so much when it comes to being able to bend, twist, and turn. I have even tried some yoga, but there were too many positions that just wrenched my back (the cat-cow move was horrible!!!).
  • I ended up buying a new NordicTrack machine - it came home today! I did quite a bit of research before buying it; I am excited to get it all set up and working for me.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Cool! Was it under the $500 you wanted to spend?
  • Yes! I actually got an awesome deal. It was the last of that model in the store, and had been sitting for about 5 months. I was able to get it for $399 (plus the 3 year warranty).
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    just jump rope in your home for 45 min. way more efficient than any gym. its good that you left a gym because machines and COMPLETELY useless for your body. just jump rope a bit, do push ups, squats, and pull ups and fix what you put in your mouth and you will see better results than anyone ever has from walking into a gym.

Some good advice but also bad. Machines do nothing? If used correctly they do!!

Leaving the gym is fine so long as your at home programme is a good one.
  • So far, I am only doing the cardio, but I just brought it home, so not into a new routine yet. I have found some online videos that work on core strength, but I'm finding already that I won't be able to do some of, given my back issues. My next goal is to find targeted videos to work my arms and obliques (trouble area).