Overcoming Injury

Options
Last Tuesday the horse I rode took off on me, and I fell off into a wall at a full speed gallop. We are all thinking that I hit the wall at about 15mph (yeah, he was going that fast). My elbow took the brunt of my fall, and you can tell from looking at it. Well Thursday, I didn't have clearance to ride, which frustrated me, so I watched my lesson instead. Friday my elbow up my humorous was in so much pain I wanted to cry, so I went to the Drs. They said it was a severe sprain with a slight dislocation. They also said I wouldn't be able to ride for 10 - 14 days and have to wear a sling.

Well last Thursday my trainer gave me clearance to go swimming, but to not use my arm unless I wanted to do 2 - 4 laps but no more. So Thursday I did 27 lengths (550 yards) with the kick board and did 1 lap of breast stroke (worst mistake of my life). This past weekend I've been working a little bit on my arm, but not much and it's spent a lot of time in it's sling or iced. Well after work today I decided to go to the pool and swim my 550 and see how much I can do with my arm and everything.

I'm so happy to say that I accomplished my 550 in about 35 minutes (only 5 - 10 minutes longer than before my injury) with my elbow. I also treaded water for 5 minutes. I'm in a little pain and have iced it. But I'm so happy that my elbow is slowly healing. I'm going to the nurse tomorrow at school to get it rechecked. Hopefully I'll be cleared to ride soon.

Replies

• iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    good luck!

i am involved in a couple fitness boards on facebook, and i always advise rest during injuries. last week, i decided to take mountain biking up a notch, and i really screwed up my hip. late in the week, i could hardly walk due to tendonitis, and i had to really back off for a couple days. it was really difficult, and it wasn't easy to take my own advice. here's hoping that you can rest, heal quickly, and get cleared as soon as possible.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Even though it is frustrating I think it is so important to rest until the injury is healed. I just ran my first half marathon last weekend and hadn't trained enough for it. But I ended up doing a lot better than I thought I would. My legs KILLED the next few days. Even though I didn't injure myself, I didn't work out for a week afterwards because I don't want to put too much stress on my body. I really want my legs to rest up before getting back into my routine.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    If you have access to one, a recumbent bike might be an option for cardio until you get better.
  • Cae_Troi
    Cae_Troi Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had my checkup this morning with the nurse, and she just gave me clearance. She said it healed really well and quickly. I'm so exciting! I just know that my lesson tomorrow will kick my butt!