Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

elbow cracks doing pushups?

My right elbow cracks like peoples knuckles throughout the day....however started doing push ups today and its cracking each time I go down...should I be concerned or is it just air in the sockets...??

Replies

• roguesword
    roguesword Posts: 2 Member
    I used to experience the same problem. I had never been a push-up guy so I think it was because my arms were not ready for the load yet. I found ways of doing similar exercise with significantly less load. Such as against walls or counters for a while. Another thing to be sure of is to warm up a little bit and to hydrate.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Does it cause discomfort or weakness during or after the exercise? I am the cracking-type myself. Elbows, wrists and ankles all crack, no pain or weakness so I don't worry about it. After a couple of years of progressively increased lifting and cardio, I haven't had issues. My shoulders also crack (and crunch), and they sometimes feel like they are "catching" on something with certain moves, so I am very careful with what I do. I found dynamic warm-up helps, and stop or adjust the exercise if I feel discomfort. Listen to your body. Of course, if you are really worried - see your doctor!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    joints make noises. unless the sound is accompanied by grinding, locking up, or pain, i wouldn't worry about it
  • Rachlovesfitness
    Rachlovesfitness Posts: 219 Member
    it did hurt a little bit...but not crazy...
  • kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    I have a similar problem. Try to do push up type things in yoga but my right elbow pops and then feels really weak, so I cant do that move at all. Feel the same thing with regular push ups. But I can do pushups against a wall or stairs with little problem, so maybe its that my muscles arent strong enough to support my weight in those positions yet...
  • Been doing push ups for quite a few months now
    Gone from 10 at once to 40
    Still, the first 10 or so my elbows crack and shoulder sockets kind of grind
    No pain, but was a bit concerned at first
    But I've persisted and the noises still happen, but no problems
    i think it's just the way it is for me anyway