My scale vs. dr's scale

Options
So I recently had a dr's appointment, and right before I left I weighed myself at home. Well 15 minutes later when they weighed me at the dr's office, I was 3lbs lighter than when I had weighed myself at home. My question is, which scale do I go off of, mine of the dr's? and does this mean that I'm actually 3lbs lighter than I thought?

Replies

• clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I would keep the weight from the one I always weigh on .But check it to see if its balanced so its recording the right weight. DOCTORS OFFICE SCALES ARE NORTIOUSLY WRONG USUALLY OVER WEIGH DUE TO CONSTANT USE.
  • camille45
    camille45 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    some scales are more accurate depending on what kind it is. But for me, i ususally stick to one scale and go by that one. You will always weight different on different scales IMO, so its important to weight yourself on that one scale all the time so you wont be confused by the differences. All scales can be off a point or two
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    as long as your scale weighs you consistently, go by that. Even if it is internally off a little, it is the change that you should be concerned with and not the actual # (when we're talking 3 lbs - it's not like your Drs scale said you were 15 different). Don't check in with your Drs scale #s because likewise, next week when you check in with your scale, it will probably say you gained 3 lbs (or 2 etc) which would not be accurate. Stick with one scale consistently. In a more extreme example, if I weight 150 but my scale says i weigh 160. If next week it says I weigh 158, it's still accurate that I lost 2 lbs - even though i might technically weigh 148. It's just a number. The change is what you should focus on.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Go with your own scale. You won't be visiting your doctor every day, or every week! Using your own keeps it consistant.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I would use your weight at home. Since it's consistent (same time of day, same clothing, same scale).

For me, my DR has electronic scales and I go every 1-2 weeks (pregnancy). So I compare my DR's appointments weighs with each other and my home weights with each other, but don't compare the two (though mine are usually VERY close).
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    right, depending on the scale, and on how often they have it calibrated, your doctors scale is going to be even more of a rough estimate then your own.

Keep to your home scale IMHO, sometimes they are off by a few pounds, but they are usually consistent in their deviation, so even if you aren't the exact weight, the delta (difference) is usually still right, and that's what is important.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    my doctor's scales always weigh me more than home scales. Always.