new recipe that i created

Options
so I was playing around with what foods I had last night and discovered that I created a yummy food..

I took about 5-6 pieces of boneless, skinless chicken breast, thawed in warm water
I chopped up 3 red potatoes into about 1/2 inch pieces
I put 2 large carrots in my food chopper (so minced would be a good explanation)
I minced about 3-4 cloves of garlic (depending on your liking for garlic)
*You could probably add some broccoli or onions for extra veggies*

Ok now. I mixed the carrots and garlic together in a bowl.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
I lined a 9X13 cake pan with aluminum foil and laid out the carrots and garlic mix on the bottom of the pan.

In another bowl, I poured about 3/4 bottle of Italian dressing, garlic powder, 2 tbsp softened or melted butter or margarine, and about a tsp of cayenne pepper. Make sure to mix this well. Roll red potatoes through this. Make sure to leave some of the mix for the chicken. Put the veggies in the oven before placing the chicken over the veggies. After about 15 minutes or when veggies are close to softening up, dip the chicken in the Italian mix, flip over to get other side, and place on top and slightly in between the potatoes. Cook for 45 minutes longer or until chicken is not pink and veggies are soft.

Enjoy! Serves about 6.
Calories: 224
Fat: 4
Carbs: 25
Protein: 22
Sodium: 1202

Replies

• Bonnie555
    Options
    Just printed, going to give it a try tonight - thank you for sharing:)
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    That sounds REALLY good!!! Thanks for posting.....
  • mmannequinn
    mmannequinn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    <3 garlic....i also printed this out ;) i'm gonna try this!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    looks good and easy. Will try it. thanks for sharing.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    so I was playing around with what foods I had last night and discovered that I created a yummy food..

I took about 5-6 pieces of boneless, skinless chicken breast, thawed in warm water
    I chopped up 3 red potatoes into about 1/2 inch pieces
    I put 2 large carrots in my food chopper (so minced would be a good explanation)
    I minced about 3-4 cloves of garlic (depending on your liking for garlic)
    *You could probably add some broccoli or onions for extra veggies*

Ok now. I mixed the carrots and garlic together in a bowl.
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
    I lined a 9X13 cake pan with aluminum foil and laid out the carrots and garlic mix on the bottom of the pan.

In another bowl, I poured about 3/4 bottle of Italian dressing, garlic powder, 2 tbsp softened or melted butter or margarine, and about a tsp of cayenne pepper. Make sure to mix this well. Roll red potatoes through this. Make sure to leave some of the mix for the chicken. Put the veggies in the oven before placing the chicken over the veggies. After about 15 minutes or when veggies are close to softening up, dip the chicken in the Italian mix, flip over to get other side, and place on top and slightly in between the potatoes. Cook for 45 minutes longer or until chicken is not pink and veggies are soft.

Enjoy! Serves about 6.
    Calories: 224
    Fat: 4
    Carbs: 25
    Protein: 22
    Sodium: 1202

Trying to figure out what is making the sodium so high in it. Maybe the dressing and butter? How about olive oil instead and for the dressing, find low sodium dressing. Sounds SOOO good, though! I have tons of chicken, so I may play around with it. Thanks!
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Trying to figure out what is making the sodium so high in it. Maybe the dressing and butter? How about olive oil instead and for the dressing, find low sodium dressing. Sounds SOOO good, though! I have tons of chicken, so I may play around with it. Thanks!

I used fat free italian dressing but the vegetable oil spread probably did not make it so good.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if fat free means or relates to low sodium. Were you saying the whole dish had 1200 sodium? Cuz that really isn't TOO bad for a 4-6 serving dish.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    This sounds really good and I plan on trying it soon. That being said, however:

Please DO NOT EVER thaw your meat in warm water! This is a good way to get sick. Here's how to safely thaw your meats:
    There are three safe ways to thaw food: in the refrigerator, in cold water, and in the microwave.

Refrigerator Thawing
    Planning ahead is the key to this method because of the lengthy time involved. A large frozen item like a turkey requires at least a day (24 hours) for every 5 pounds of weight. Even small amounts of frozen food — such as a pound of ground meat or boneless chicken breasts — require a full day to thaw. When thawing foods in the refrigerator, there are variables to take into account.

* Some areas of the appliance may keep food colder than other areas.
    * Food will take longer to thaw in a refrigerator set at 35 °F than one set at 40 °F.

After thawing in the refrigerator, items such as ground meat, stew meat, poultry, seafood, should remain safe and good quality for an additional day or two before cooking; red meat cuts (such as beef, pork or lamb roasts, chops and steaks) 3 to 5 days. Food thawed in the refrigerator can be refrozen without cooking, although there may be some loss of quality.

Cold Water Thawing
    This method is faster than refrigerator thawing but requires more attention. The food must be in a leak-proof package or plastic bag. If the bag leaks, bacteria from the air or surrounding environment could be introduced into the food. Also, the meat tissue may absorb water, resulting in a watery product.

The bag should be submerged in cold tap water, changing the water every 30 minutes so it continues to thaw. Small packages of meat, poultry or seafood — about a pound — may thaw in an hour or less. A 3-to 4-pound package may take 2 to 3 hours. For whole turkeys, estimate about 30 minutes per pound. If thawed completely, the food must be cooked immediately.

Foods thawed by the cold water method should be cooked before refreezing.

Microwave Thawing
    When thawing food in a microwave, plan to cook it immediately after thawing because some areas of the food may become warm and begin to cook during the thawing process (bringing the food to "Danger Zone" temperatures). Holding partially cooked food is not recommended because any bacteria present wouldn't have been destroyed and, indeed, the food may have reached optimal temperatures for bacteria to grow.

After thawing in the microwave, always cook immediately after, whether microwave cooking, by conventional oven, or grilling.

Foods thawed in the microwave should be cooked before refreezing.

Also, never thaw foods in a garage, basement, car, dishwasher or plastic garbage bag; out on the kitchen counter, outdoors or on the porch. These methods can leave your foods unsafe to eat.

Cooking Without Thawing
    When there is not enough time to thaw frozen foods, or you're simply in a hurry, just remember: it is safe to cook foods from the frozen state. The cooking will take approximately 50% longer than the recommended time for fully thawed or fresh meat and poultry.

Just want you to stay healthy!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    thanks reesepieces for the recipe, but also thanks pmjsmom for thawing tips. very helpful!