Being female is rubbish

Options
Hi ladies,

I've been doing really well on here until the last month. I have lost a stone and a half (21lbs) and dropped a dress size, but since starting to look after myself, my periods have become really heavy and I've been feeling faint at that time of the month. My doctor says I'm not anaemic and to take an iron tablet when I'm feeling that way. I read a similar thread on here and also decided not to worry too much about counting calories for those few days. I have a pretty physical lifestyle, and it doesn't matter if I don't lose for that one week each month.

However, my last period has lasted for 13 days! And I was ravenous the whole time, and for the first time I put on 2 lbs :( and felt exhausted. I really want to shift another 20 lbs before the new year if I can and then I'll pretty much be at my goal, but I am finding it really hard to stay motivated, especially as the weather is atrocious here, so jogging is not so enjoyable.

Any tips?

Replies

• crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Well first of all congratulations on your journey so far-

Secondly, I would be going back to the doctors to find out why your periods have suddenly become so heavy?

Give yourself some slack around that time, but keep eating healthily else you will feel blah both mentally and physically x

and ask your pharmacist about the dosage of iron tablets as you may need to take them over a prolonged period, but should always seek advice first x
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i'd see another doctor if your period has lasted 13 days and he's not doing anything about it.

ETA: well done on your weight loss btw - try getting more water to prevent bloating.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor - err, a different doctor.
    It is normal to start seeing lighter periods, more regular periods and lighter cramping after losing a good chunk of weight.
    Not common for them to get worse.
  • NeIIaBeIIa
    NeIIaBeIIa Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have you had other hormone tests done? Might be worth asking for them.

Just from my own personal experience - I have a mild thyroid condition and haven't taken the pills regularly for ages. Finally started up again (because my periods were so crazy, heavy, and I'd eat like a maniac!). I thought it might help (duh). Last week I just had the lightest, most normal period in years... didn't overeat, no PMS and I'm off to refill my prescription!
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Being female is Rubbish.. lol ;) well, certain weeks it is anyways

I know all to well how you feel. I have lost 40lbs since jan and started lifting heavy this past spring. It was around that time that I started getting massive migraines that were cycle related, and very heavy periods that went on forever. I have just finally gotten things figured out. Hormone imbalance due to a change in the bodies chemistry due to the weight loss and lifting. It just needs time to adjust itself. I would see a dr if I was you. I also went to a naturopath and am on some herbs that have helped a lot (chaste tree).. I am also on a good fish oil which does a world of good.
    good luck.. Hope you get it all worked out.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor - err, a different doctor.
    It is normal to start seeing lighter periods, more regular periods and lighter cramping after losing a good chunk of weight.
    Not common for them to get worse.

I CONCUR! I had a similar problem. Turns out I had a fibroid that was causing the heavy bleeding. See another doctor asap!
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention your age, which can be a contributing factor as well. I know after I turned 35 my cycles changed quite a bit and when I turned 40 they became almost unbearable due to the hormone changes. I was put on Loestrin FE (birth control) and that helped tremendously. I am 42 years old now and my cycles are regulated and normal. I also have very little PMS symptoms (except a bad headache for the first couple of days of the cycle) and almost no cramping. I would agree with the other posters and either go back to your doctor or see another one. Good luck! And congrats on your loss thus far!!!
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Depo provera is my best friend.
  • GettingMooreInShape
    Options
    Doctors are usually not trained in nutrition; their advice to "just take an iron tablet" isn't the best option. Most of the iron in tablets does not get absorbed.. the most well-absorbed iron comes from eating red meat and, to a lesser degree, iron-fortified grains such as cereals and bread.
    I have terrible periods and faint/throw up for one day of every month. The only thing that makes me feel better is eating red meat most every day, even when its not my menstruation week.

Let us know what works for you!
  • inverseofmissy
    inverseofmissy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My cycles average 12-14 days every month and I get the same symptoms you describe. I take an over the counter iron pill pretty much daily (at least 5 times a week, all month long) and it works well for me. Staying hydrated and eating something right when I wake up also makes a big difference. For some reason though, I have always lost weight on my periods, maybe because I don't eat as much due to how I feel? I don't do birth control so I haven't seen a doctor about any of this because I know that will be their suggestion.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    That's definitely a hormone imbalance, but you might track it for 3 months to see if it's just things that need to stabilize after changes to your system.

It's not a good idea to just let these things continue, though, y'all. Hormone imbalances can lead to big health problems, and I hate that most gynecologists consider them not a big deal unless fertility is involved.

There are some herbal and food routes to help balance things, but there is also a lot of quackery around involving that, imho. I found a gynecologist who has kept up with the research and actually suggested something that sounds to folks like alternative medicine, and I was floored! Yay! We actually went with something conventional, but it was such a good sign.

If you can't find an MD into research on OTC things, try to find a natural doc who is very conservative. But please don't let a big imbalance run for years and years. Frankly, the risk of different cancers go up (and sometimes bone density, cardiovascular issues, etc).
  • Dolling5
    Dolling5 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have an appointment booked with a gynaecologist for something else in a week or so, so I'll ask him about it and nag until I get a sensible answer!