Trying new things

Options
I go to the gym (and sometimes I find myself getting bored of it)

Has anyone tried home fitness dvds or exercises, and if so, are they any good?

I'm also thinking about taking some classes at my gym, but they are expensive and I think home fitness will be a cheaper option

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Replies

• monicaajames
    monicaajames Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    All I have ever done is work out at home. I use DVDs and I run around my neighborhood. I find it more cost effective then paying a gym membership. Yes they do work. I like Slim in 6 that is my favorite. I have Insanity but it is a beast but it is excellent. DVD's give you a full body workout that you may not achieve at the gym without really knowing what muscles you should be working and what exercises you should be doing to get great results. Every few months I purchase a new DVD just to change things up and then it is cool 6 months later to use a DVD I haven't used in a year. I really enjoy them and I have had great results. I use bands, weights and the balance ball. I have mats to use on the floor because I have hardwoods. I do push ups, squats, dips and etc...Also on cable/satellite they have a Fitness channel and sometimes I work out to that. With the money you save from the gym membership you can purchase and elliptical or treadmill if you don't want to run/walk outside. I use craigslist to help get gym equipment cheap. Hope that helps.
  • LanieMitchell2323
    Options
    Yeah I've heard of slim in 6! Would you say that that one is worth a go for someone who is doing it for the first time from home?
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would do some bodyweight exercises at home. Youtube it. (keywords callisthenics, bodyweight training at home) :)
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I couldn't make it to my class one day last week because of traffic. So I went home & grabbed my dog and walked as fast as I could all around my neighborhood until I was freezing. Then I went home & walked on the treadmill for another 6 minutes so that I could have an even 1 hour of walking. I was pretty sore the next couple of days. There are alot of hills in my neighborhood! Good luck finding what works for you! :flowerforyou:
  • karinschoultz
    karinschoultz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I bought a Groupon for bootcamp. It changed my life. I hate going to gyms and I hate working out at home. If you love being outside, you may want to look into one in your area. I am stronger than Ive ever been and NEVER get bored!!
  • LanieMitchell2323
    Options
    Bootcamp sounds like an excellent idea. I think I need to change it up so I don't get bored and slack off.

Like bike riding and walking. I hate running though.

Maybe even a bit of badminton, or rounders or something.

Thanks for the advice guys!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I bought a Groupon for bootcamp. It changed my life. I hate going to gyms and I hate working out at home. If you love being outside, you may want to look into one in your area. I am stronger than Ive ever been and NEVER get bored!!

I check out Groupons a lot and have tried a lot of different classes with them. I add that to my gym and I never get bored.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I only go to the gym once or twice a week. Mostly to use the treadmill and do the circuit. I workout at home doing yoga tapes, Wii Fitness, and Hip Hop Abs DVDs. I also do regular calisthenics sometimes. Don't forget your local library. If you want to check out some routines before purchasing anything. Just remember, they could be behind the times with the most recent workouts though.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Personally I loved bellydance fitness and for hellish calorie burns taebo.
    Find something you enjoy.
  • LanieMitchell2323
    Options
    Library is a good idea. And bellydance sounds so fun!
  • BrewerByNight
    Options
    Change requires change. The body (namely, muscles and heart) adapt quickly and plateau if you do the same type and intensity workouts endlessly. I do 3 to 4 workouts w/ weights at the gym each week, and jog/walk outside almost every day (weather permitting).

One thing that has helped me is to have a weekly "wildcard workout" where I do something completely different.
    *look for a new ab or calisthenic routine on youtube
    *incorporate lunges, side-step, skipping, grapevines, jump rope, etc into my daily walks
    *work out with a friend and let them lead the workout
    *find a tall-ish public building in your area and walk the steps. On alternate floors, take two steps at once, or walk up the steps sideways

Whatever it is, keep trying new things and keep moving. That's what counts...
  • LanieMitchell2323
    Options
    Cool :) Thanks for the advice!
  • vquigg
    vquigg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree witht he Home workout DVDs. I want to the gym daily for yeras and did my own thing but now that I look back I did the same things over and over and would take nice long breaks in between :). Working out at home really changed things for me. First the convenience of having it available at anytime to fit in your schedule and not have to worry about drive time. Second, not having to worry what you look because no one is watching. I have all kinds of home workout dVDs but several years ago tried some of the beachbody workouts like insanity, T25, etc and never turned back. Since they are whole programs with multiple workouts you don't get bored and they really work!! I mean you have to do the work but they tell you what to do and keep you from resting too long etc. Plus you can join accountability groups. Would love to chat more if you are interested. I'm sure there are also some great things out there on you tube also.!
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I love any DVD by Jillian Michaels!
  • Malachai76
    Options
    I agree witht he Home workout DVDs. I want to the gym daily for yeras and did my own thing but now that I look back I did the same things over and over and would take nice long breaks in between :). Working out at home really changed things for me. First the convenience of having it available at anytime to fit in your schedule and not have to worry about drive time. Second, not having to worry what you look because no one is watching. I have all kinds of home workout dVDs but several years ago tried some of the beachbody workouts like insanity, T25, etc and never turned back. Since they are whole programs with multiple workouts you don't get bored and they really work!! I mean you have to do the work but they tell you what to do and keep you from resting too long etc. Plus you can join accountability groups. Would love to chat more if you are interested. I'm sure there are also some great things out there on you tube also.!

Totally agree I love Beachbody and can't put it any better myself done Insanity twice and just completed T25, next for me is Body Beast
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    music and movie/tv shows from those cardio machines might work
  • loosinit42806
    loosinit42806 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    ALot of the beach body dvds are great!
    they are fun adn you wont get bored as long as you switch it up! and they are a great carbio burn!

I use Turbo Jam! i love it its an older one i got it about 7 years ago but i love it!
    Good luck!
  • LanieMitchell2323
    Options
    Cool! I'm taking a look at all these suggestions!
  • emjayne92
    emjayne92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, you should try Jillian Micheals 30 day shred, it's a great workout DVD .I'm doing it at the moment alongside pilates, yoga and Zumba. These are some suggests you can also try kickboxing or circuit training is good as you can change and mix it up. Hope this helps you. Good luck ????