Help!

Options
I am 230 pounds, and I have no idea where to start with exercising. I desperately need to lose weight. I have heard P90X, Insanity, 30 Day Shred... for someone my size, what would be the best thing to do for starting my weight loss journey?

Thank you!

Replies

• Tuili
    Tuili Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I did the Shred Diet and it was fantastic. Normal everyday foods, you are eating small amounts all day long. Exercise fluctuates between 30 - 45 min a day/ 5 days week. I would definately recommend this. The book is about10 dollars. I lost 20 pounds in the first 6 weeks, not to mention several inches. I've continued the "idea" of the shred when determining what to eat and often will do one or two of the weeks out of the book to re-kick start myself.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    What matters the most, is whatever you do, it must be sustainable. Find an exercise you enjoy. Calculate your calorie goals and eat at a moderate deficit incorporating all the foods you love. These are excellent threads on how to get started, good luck.:flowerforyou:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And for additional motivation:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1102508-mfp-fitspiration
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977538-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My original starting weight was 235 and I starting off simply by walking, swimming, and using the elliptical at my gym. Keep it low impact in the beginning so as not to strain or injure yourself. I kept this up until I hit the <200 lb mark, and then I added in things like running, hot yoga, strength-training, and bootcamp classes. I am now at 172 lbs and adding in some weight lifting, and more intense full body workouts. I hope this advice helps! ^_^
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I am 230 pounds, and I have no idea where to start with exercising. I desperately need to lose weight. I have heard P90X, Insanity, 30 Day Shred... for someone my size, what would be the best thing to do for starting my weight loss journey?

Thank you!

A calorie deficit would be the best thing for starting your weight loss. Just eat at a moderate deficit, don't deprive yourself, and have a lot of patience.

As far as exercise goes, just try a bunch of different things until you find the things you like to do. Once you know what you like to do, keep doing them on a regular basis. And don't be afraid to try new stuff. It's really that simple.

I started off doing exercise videos and it worked well for me in the beginning because I could go at my own pace and it didn't require a lot of time. I took a few spin classes and realized how much I enjoyed it so I took a few more. And then, I decided I wanted to try running so I trained for a 5k. After that, I read a lot about strength training so I started to do that too. Now, I have a variety of things I enjoy doing and I do all of them (at least occasionally).

Try walking. Do some exercise videos. Take a class. Do some yoga. Go for a jog or a hike. Ride a bike. Swim. Zumba. Weight lifting. Whatever you want to do, just try it.
  • gojodster
    gojodster Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think 30 day shred would be great for you, depends on how you handle impact from things like jumping jacks and if you cant yet. I would do weight training (I do chalean extreme and its great!) I started just over a month ago at 230 and have lost 12lbs by doing that and watching the calories (I try to eat between 1200 and 1500 calories a day, honestly sometimes its closer to what I would need to eat to maintain where im at but its a work in progress) Just start and make yourself stick to it! I printed a calendar and put it on my mirror so I knew exactly what workout I was doing what day, including 2 rest days a week. I do it at 7am every day so it happens. :) Best of luck!
  • ihfarmwife
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice!