Make ahead freezer meals?

Options

Replies

• teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    In addition, some things don't need to be frozen...particularly when you are starting with cooking for the week. I love mason jars. They come in a variety of sizes, the lids only come in two sizes (replacements are easily found on their own in the store, you know...for when they mysteriously go missing).

I packaged up chicken and dumplings for the kidlets this week...the 10 year old has hers in a half pint jar (no dumplings), the 14 year old has his in a 12 oz jar (extra dumplings), and the hubby has his in a pint jar (hot sauce added). All jars are sitting in the bottom of the fridge just waiting to be added to their lunch boxes. (The kiddoes will nuke them before putting them in a thermos...they don't have access to a microwave at school.) Also in pre portioned in 4 oz jars: pineapple chunks, applesauce, chopped egg whites, granola, salsa, and baby carrots. The wide mouthed ones are awesome for baking...so there are some jars of banana bread, pumpkin bread and zucchini/carrot bread, too.

These are NOT "canned"...just stored in jars in the fridge.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have a vacuum sealer that I try to use when I'm going to freeze meals. It's a little time-consuming to make, fill, and seal the bags, but it prevents freezer burn and helps me portion out leftovers in a way that I don't waste any. I've always had luck freezing homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs (beef, chicken, or turkey). I also make chicken for tacos in a big batch and freeze in 2-serving portions.

I also like to do some kind of homemade burritos that I wrap individually in foil. Usually it's chicken, beans, and cheese, but the last time I made them I used this recipe for quinoa vegetable burritos: http://www.thegardengrazer.com/2012/06/quinoa-fajita-burritos.html

I have packs of grilled chicken breasts cut in serving-size pieces that I can defrost and use for sandwiches, salads, etc. Soups (as long as they're not cream or milk-based) will freeze well, too.

My schedule gets crazy sometimes, since I'm a college professor and get papers to grade about once a month, but when I'm too busy to cook I can just go into the freezer for a healthy meal, or at least the start to one.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I like to take muffin tins, spray with Pam, put about 1/2 full of spinach (that has been rinsed, drained and dried), mushrooms on that, a pinch of low fat mozz. chz and then I mix egg beaters in a bowl with some skim milk and pour in each tin to the top. 350 about 17 min. When you insert a knife in middle and it comes out clean - then it's done. Let cool off, put 2 in a ziplock freezer bag and stick in freezer. When I take to work, I take out a pack, put in container - frozen, add about 2-4 tablespoons of salsa and heat up later when I am ready to eat. The salsa just does something amazing to it. This is super yummy, low in calories and high in vitamins.
    I also measure out 1/4 cup instant oatmeal, 1 tbs peanut butter, 1 tsp chia seeds and 1 tsp of splenda and put in a baggie. I keep them in my desk drawer for snack or meal. I heard it off the John Tesh radio show once about Peanut butter and oatmeal and I thought gross..... but try it - it is wonderful. I have gotten 3 other co-workers to eat like this.

I've done the muffin tins thing with meatloaf. It's neater than dividing up a large loaf and you have single serving meatloaves at the end of it.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Liking what I've seen, and bumping to see more as they come in, as this is something I want to do more of.
  • AngelDog1
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas!
  • SunnySouth2013
    SunnySouth2013 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, the information is wonderful! Very shortly my husband will be down south for the winter, while I'm home more than not. These ideas and techniques will certainly help me with the laziness I feel cooking for myself (especially during the work week), but also portion control.

I'm hoping my daughter's will join in and cook ahead for themeslves as well.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    someone posted on here the beef and burrito recipe that i absolutely love. I keep a bunch in the freezer and just grab one for lunch most days. They are around 200 calories. If you don't have the recipe i can post it.

Another one i like is soup. I make a large batch and use a muffin tin and a slotted spoon and put all the chunks in the muffin tins and the juice in another and freeze them that way (putting in bags when frozen). Then for lunch i grab a chunk and a broth and i have equal amounts every time.

I also freeze regular meals too like lasagna, spaghetti, grilled chicken, etc
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Hi, Jessica...I teach classes in Once A Month Cooking (OAMC). The easiest way to start is to simply make a double batch of whatever it is you are making. Most anything you find in the freezer section at the supermarket can be frozen at home. A few tips to make things easier and ensure your product is consistent:

*Freeze things on a sheet tray whenever possible, then pour into a container or freezer bag. This allows you to take out what you need later, without having to thaw the whole thing.
    *Most veggies need to be blanched. Just dip the veggies into boiling water for 30-60 seconds to preserve texture and color when you reheat it.
    *Containers and freezer bags are essential. You don't need to have a separate deep freezer to accomplish this. I've stored a months worth of meals in a regular freezer above my fridge in freezer bags, stacked upright, like records. I buy good freezer bags...seal product in a cheaper zipper bag and then put them into the good freezer bag. You can reuse freezer bags this way. Double wrapping items keeps them fresher longer.
    *Label and date your products. Most items in a home freezer will last 1-6 months in the freezer. I try to keep it down to 1-3 months. The defrost cycle on residential freezers can age food a little faster because the temperatures don't stay as consistent. Keep in mind, First In, First Out. Use older product first.

Aside from double or triple batching recipes, you can also shoot for a smaller goal...try cooking for the week first and see how it goes. Lastly, and my favorite way to bulk cook, is "ingredient style". This means I cook 20 pounds of ground beef at a time and package it in meal sized portions. I spend a weekend cooking and /or seasoning veggies, ground beef, chicken breasts, turkey and fish, then package it away for future use. I prefer it because I can mix and match my meals, rather than be stuck with 5 lasagnas at the end of the month.

My favorite story regarding the ingredients style method: I was really, really sick when I was pregnant with my daughter. My husband had to open a bag of rice, open a bag of prepped peppers and onions and open a bag of sliced beef, add a cup of water and cover it. Dinner was done with very little fuss, muss and cleanup.

If you like, I can dig out my lesson plan and can send it to you, if you would like more information.
    thanks!!
    In addition, some things don't need to be frozen...particularly when you are starting with cooking for the week. I love mason jars. They come in a variety of sizes, the lids only come in two sizes (replacements are easily found on their own in the store, you know...for when they mysteriously go missing).

I packaged up chicken and dumplings for the kidlets this week...the 10 year old has hers in a half pint jar (no dumplings), the 14 year old has his in a 12 oz jar (extra dumplings), and the hubby has his in a pint jar (hot sauce added). All jars are sitting in the bottom of the fridge just waiting to be added to their lunch boxes. (The kiddoes will nuke them before putting them in a thermos...they don't have access to a microwave at school.) Also in pre portioned in 4 oz jars: pineapple chunks, applesauce, chopped egg whites, granola, salsa, and baby carrots. The wide mouthed ones are awesome for baking...so there are some jars of banana bread, pumpkin bread and zucchini/carrot bread, too.

These are NOT "canned"...just stored in jars in the fridge.
    WOW you are incredibly creative... how handy for you all to pre-plan so when everyone gets up to head to school and work it's simpler. What great ideas you've shared on the thread. Thanks again
    I had several requests for my lesson plan...so here it is...it is VERY long, so I apologize for the book...

OAMC –Lesson Plan

First things first…let’s talk equipment. You will need measuring cups, spoons, storage and of course a freezer. Other things you may find helpful are cutting boards, knives, a wide-mouthed funnel, thermometer, pots and pans and a garbage can.
    Next…there are three different types of OAMC
    • Double/Triple Batching –cooking a larger quantity of whatever you are making for dinner and freezing some for later use.
    • True OAMC –creating a menu for the month and cooking all the dinners and freezing for the month.
    • Ingredients Style –breaking recipes into basic parts and cooking like items at the same time, freezing for future use.

Let’s talk about double or triple batching. While you have the cutting board, knives, etc, out, it’s just as easy to prep twice as much as it is to prep for one meal. This will save time on future prep work, and washing up the equipment. It’s also very cost effective, and time-saving. Two pans of chicken will cook in the same amount of time as one, for example. This is particularly easy to do with casseroles, chili, stews and soups.

Some tips:
    • Ensure product reaches a minimum of 165F before beginning the cooling process.
    • Ensure product reaches 70F in 2 hours before putting it in the fridge. Ensure product reaches 40F in 2 additional hours before putting it in the freezer. This keeps you and your family safe from foodbourne illness. You can help cool food faster by putting the pot in a sink filled with ice water and stirring occasionally. You can also put the food into smaller containers to cool it faster. You can also drop freezer bags filled with frozen water into the container.
    • If you are using freezer bags, freeze them flat until they are solid enough to stack on their edges like records. They will take less space that way. Double wrap product by putting the food in a cheaper zipper bag, then into a better, branded one. You can also use plastic wrap, freezer paper, and heavy duty foil.

True OAMC requires some good planning and really good shoes! When I do this, I make a menu on Friday afternoon and try to double up meals so I am not making an original meal for each day of the month. I go grocery shopping on Fridays nights and get a good night sleep! Saturday morning, I will lay out my pans and get started. First I put anything in the oven that requires longer cooking times, like roasts. Next I start prepping vegetables and start two pots of water boiling for blanching. Once the roasts are done, I cool them and then slice into portions and put them in those small foil disposable trays and wrap them well. Next, things like chicken breasts go into the oven. And then I assemble casseroles and lasagnas, while my Crockpot's with stews and chili are going. This continues onto Sunday til about noon.

Like I’ve said before, ingredients style is my favorite. I start three large pots of water boiling and drop in 20 pounds of ground turkey in one, 20 pounds of chicken in another and use the last for blanching veggies. Start three crockpots with beans, chili and vegetable soup. If you stir the ground meats, they will break up on their own. Strain out the ground turkey, but save the water. Shred the chicken, and save the water. Package and freeze the veggies and save the water…. Toss in scraps of veggies into each pot, add roasted chicken bones, roasted beef bones to their respective pots and simmer for several hours with a splash of vinegar. Divide meats into three bowls…season one Mexican style, another Italian style and the last with just salt and pepper. Package into meal sized portions and freeze. Make 5 pounds of rice and package into meal sized portions. Package veggies. Par bake pizza, quiche crusts and package. Wrap bread dough and freeze. Let stock simmer til reduced by half, cool, scrape off any fat and freeze.

What I end up with after all that is usually something like this:
    • 20 packages shredded/sliced chicken (Mexican, Italian, plain)
    • 20 packages ground turkey (Mexican, Italian, plain)
    • 10 packages sliced onions & peppers
    • 30 packages mire poix (onion, carrots, celery)
    • 5 packages Trinity (onions, celery, bell peppers)
    • 15 packages concasse tomatoes (tomatoes peeled, seeded and diced)
    • 10 packages broccoli florets
    • 15 packages cooked assorted beans
    • 5 packages chili
    • 5 packages vegetable soup
    • 10 packages raw seasoned steak or beef strips
    • 10 packages raw seasoned fish and/or raw prepped shrimp
    • Several ice cube trays with pureed herbs, wine and lemon juice
    • 10 packages rice
    • 10 packages sliced cooked sweet potatoes
    • Dough for 5 loaves sourdough, 5 whole wheat, 5 batches of wheat dinner rolls, 5 batches of biscuits, 5 batches of garlic bread, 5 loaves of oatmeal bread, 10 pizzas and 5 quiches/pies

In the end, what you choose to make is based off the things you and your family like and enjoy, with the recipes tailored to meet your nutritional goals. I freeze the things I feel are most time consuming and in the stages that work best for me (which is why I freeze some things as “raw seasoned” or “raw prepped”). My family is okay with casseroles, but not really their thing, so I don’t make many of them. My vegetable soup is basic in seasonings, so I can add a bag of Trinity, file, some shrimp and some okra and get a pretty good knock off gumbo. Or I can add shredded chicken, salsa, some black beans and call it tortilla soup. I try to keep things that I can mix and match.

Now, I realize it looks like a LOT of work, but I am a firm believer in delegation (which is why I am known as the Meanest Mom In The Entire World). My husband is usually on dish & trash duty. My kids have been helping me since they were 18 months old. Even the very youngest kids can snap beans, peel garlic, count out peppercorns, or just run things to the trash for you. My 14 year old has helped out often enough that he can do this with just my ten year old for an assistant. They both understand what equipment is needed, what ingredients need to be prepped and how to cool and package the product. Put on some good music and then reward yourself with a glass of wine when its done!
    :laugh: Even better, your lesson plan! Trying to keep all your helpful ideas in one place to copy later.

You've all shared some fabulous helpful ideas... excited to try them:flowerforyou:
  • lmharger
    lmharger Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bumping, so I find this later (e.g. when I'm not at work)!
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Lentil and rice and lentil soup recipes tend to freeze very well :)
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    *Freeze things on a sheet tray whenever possible, then pour into a container or freezer bag. This allows you to take out what you need later, without having to thaw the whole thing.

?? How can you pour something that is frozen? I don't get it.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    BUMP this is amazing
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    Thank You for the site!
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options

?? How can you pour something that is frozen? I don't get it.

Example: You're freezing several chicken breasts, you freeze them side by side on a tray, then put them into a container. That way all of them wont freeze in a lump.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    someone posted on here the beef and burrito recipe that i absolutely love. I keep a bunch in the freezer and just grab one for lunch most days. They are around 200 calories. If you don't have the recipe i can post it.

Another one i like is soup. I make a large batch and use a muffin tin and a slotted spoon and put all the chunks in the muffin tins and the juice in another and freeze them that way (putting in bags when frozen). Then for lunch i grab a chunk and a broth and i have equal amounts every time.

I am not at home so i don't have the exact recipe but this is the one i use: ww.shutterbean.com/2009/make-your-own-freezer-burritos/
    10 tortillas
    6 oz ground beef
    1/5 cup blac beens
    1/2 cup tomatoes
    1 cup minute rice
    3 oz mozz. cheese
    6 oz greek yogurt

228 calories, 30 carbs, 7 fat, 13 protein, 1 fiber.
  • alibee81
    Options
    I freeze spag bol, coq au vin, spicy tomato sauce with seafood, beef casserole and lots of curries, thai and indian. I use the uncle ben's 2 minute rice with those, evening meals take no time at all to prepare. plus it saves you so much money if you buy, cook and freeze in bulk.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Great post!!!
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Gosh, pretty much anything you eat regularly now can be frozen.

Something I prepare and freeze often are egg sandwiches. I make egg white mixed with a whole egg little patties loaded with vegetables and feta cheese, enough servings for the week. I also pre toast the muffins I put them on, wrap them up in tiny lunch freezer bags and boom: instant frozen breakfast sandwich I just have to heat up before I go about my day.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I am not at home so i don't have the exact recipe but this is the one i use: ww.shutterbean.com/2009/make-your-own-freezer-burritos/
    10 tortillas
    6 oz ground beef
    1/5 cup blac beens
    1/2 cup tomatoes
    1 cup minute rice
    3 oz mozz. cheese
    6 oz greek yogurt

228 calories, 30 carbs, 7 fat, 13 protein, 1 fiber.

What a great idea! And the cheese/sour cream/yogurt is fine after freezing?
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I marinade and grill an entire bag of chicken breasts from Sam's club and then cut it all up and put in baggies that are 4 ounces each. I can pull one out of the freezer to throw on a salad or several out to make fajitas or whatever my mood suits me. It is very versatile and makes life a little easier on a busy week night. I have done it will pork and beef too.