Couch to 5K Question

so I've done couch to 5k several times before, but I've always at least walked in between the times I've done it. However, the past 6 months I haven't even been walking...too much going on (I know, excuses). Has anyone started this program without exercising before, like, not even walking? Did you find it very difficult or could you keep up with it?

Replies

• isn't this the point of the program.....to go from the couch (not walking) to the 5k?

so i'm gonna venture a guess that yes, someone has done this.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    gotta start somewhere ?
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    ok, obviously people have done it. I just was curious as to the experience from starting from ground zero......like did you find it difficult? or was it fairly easy to get into. what were some issues you noticed?
  • jamielynn47
    jamielynn47 Posts: 3 Member
    I have re started the program after doing lots of exercises and walking I find it lots easier
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    I wouldn't say I went from couch to 5K, but I definately wasn't exercising when I did it, and that was back in January. Having a walking base I think sets you up for a better chance at completion and can help deter injury. But if you listen to your body, follow and trust the plan you chose, and don't go too fast or too much too soon, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to complete it, physically.

But....unfortunately, running was and still is about 60% mental. So if this is something you want then you need to make sure your mind is in the game.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    If you feel it's too much then walk every other day for a few weeks then start the program.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    It was the first exercise regimen I attempted after having my baby. So yes! It was definitely tough at first! On the walking portions, I walked as fast as I could, and on the running portions, I ran slow but steady. After a few days of that, I was just so excited about successfully doing it, I was hooked!

Oh also, I ONLY did the C25K program. I did it on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and I didn't do any other exercise on the other days, including walking. I found that having actual REST days in between the running days was beneficial. I ran better on Mondays after having 2 days of rest than I did on Wednesdays and Fridays after having one day of rest.

I should also say that I ran for time and not distance. So when I graduated the program, I was able to run for 30 straight minutes, but it wasn't a full 3.1 miles. It's taking me an extra week to get up to that distance, but only because I'm a slowpoke. ;-)
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    I was barely walking 20min. on the treadmill for a few weeks before I started it, but like I said “barely”. The ZombiesRun C25k trainer took me from 0 running to 4miles in 8 weeks. It works. I just completed my first two 5k’s this weekend too. One w/mud/obstacles & the 2nd w/zombies  I had a great time getting muddy & chummy w/zoms. Stick w/it, you won’t regret it.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    I'm gonna go w the others and say that I haven't done that, but it's possible. that's the point of the program. I don't think that walking will actually prepare you for the running unless you're extremely out of shape. The best advice that I was given is to just pace myself you should be going show enough that you are actually able to complete each interval. Join the C25K group. I'm on my phone and can't find it, but just search the groups under Community. Good luck!
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    I agree with the others. I started c25k during the winter when I hadn't really been excersing much and did just fine. I had done my walks - but even those weren't really consistent. Some weeks are harder than others - if you have to you could always repeat a week before moving on. You can do it - you just need to convince yourself! :smile:
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    :smile: thanks everyone! I just needed a little motivation
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    I've just started today but only on the treadmill as Amsterdam is cold and I am far from a runner. I loved it, I always give up when doing cardio but tody got through it and feel awesome. Try it take it slow if needs be and give up :)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    When you say you've done it several times, do you mean you completed it several times? If so, then it should be much easier to get back into it. I had a couple of months where I couldn't fit in running and I was able to pick it back up almost where I had left off.