Whoa.. what? WALKING burns more fat than running?

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• beefwalker
    Options
    Ding-dongs the lot of you! Well, some of you. Actually, none of you. It's the notions that are silly, not the peeps.
    Anyhoo, here's the shizzle as the kids say:

(1) Exercise is next to useless for weight loss.
    Study after study has shown this. And most honest (and scientific) trainers will tell you this too. Unless you're superhuman - or a self-flagellating martyr - exercise makes us eat more AND move less afterwards. Remember your mother telling you to "Go play outside and work up an appetite!"?

(2) The body always seeks homeostasis. This is why modern hunter gathers and sedentary westerners have been shown to burn roughly the same number of calories per day. This is also (sort of) why infrequent intensive exercise (besides the benefit of allowing enough time for recovery and muscle building) is much more effective than exercising daily. As with drugs and sucking up to your boss, the MINIMUM EFFECTIVE DOSE (M.E.D.) should be at the forefront of your mind. Any more than the M.E.D. is a waste of time - and potentially dangerous.

(3) Real running (i.e. Sprinting) is great for us. Intensive, lower impact than jogging, more natural and suited to our bodies than jogging. Walking is great too. Natural, uses most muscles, low impact, minimal effect on cortisol (unless you're walking to the dentist). Jogging or distance running is for suckers. But it's great for shoe salesmen, knee surgeons and emergency heart surgeons. ;-)

(4) Right, walking vs. 'sucker-running' (aka jogging not sprinting).
    Walking over the same distance will burn far more calories (and do more for your heart/soul/gizzards and stool movements) than jogging. Plus you can do it without dressing up like an idiot or wasting money on expensive gear which you think says "LOOK AT ME! I'M BEING HEALTHY AND ****!" Buy which actually says "LOOK AT ME! I FALL EASILY FOR MARKETING SHTICK! PLUS I'M GOING TO DIE EARLIER (or need a Zimmer-frame sooner) THAN YOU!" like that ding-bat Jim Fixx (who DIDN'T invent jogging but is responsible for the 'fad').

If you're keen to burn more fat, eat sensibly, ditch the grains and energy drinks and sleep at least eight hours per night. Your body will do amazing things all by itself if you simply stop trying to pound it into submission. :-)
    BW
  • forthemoney
    forthemoney Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used to run, because I loved it; it was my favorite exercise. Unfortunately, my knees don't love it. I've been told by doctors that I simply should not run and now my knees give me no choice. So I walk, and I enjoy it. It's not just about burning calories, either. It's the only time I get to myself. It's how I work off stress and frustration. It's what I do instead of stuffing my face with crap. So for me, it's absolutely essential to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It's what works for me.
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    While I have no doubt that running burns more calories than walking, I can definitely attest to the fact that walking can be a major contributor to weight loss. I lost 65 pounds with walking as my only form of exercise.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    While I have no doubt that running burns more calories than walking, I can definitely attest to the fact that walking can be a major contributor to weight loss. I lost 65 pounds with walking as my only form of exercise.

it's claimed that per mile, it burns about the same, just have to walk for longer to reach the same amount of calories burned. Which is not true anyway, though it is close.

The other factor is, even as close as it is, if you account for calorie burn above and beyond what you'd burn at rest anyway, the fact that walking takes so much longer means even less per mile.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Ding-dongs the lot of you! Well, some of you. Actually, none of you. It's the notions that are silly, not the peeps.
    Anyhoo, here's the shizzle as the kids say:

(1) Exercise is next to useless for weight loss.
    Study after study has shown this. And most honest (and scientific) trainers will tell you this too. Unless you're superhuman - or a self-flagellating martyr - exercise makes us eat more AND move less afterwards. Remember your mother telling you to "Go play outside and work up an appetite!"?

(2) The body always seeks homeostasis. This is why modern hunter gathers and sedentary westerners have been shown to burn roughly the same number of calories per day. This is also (sort of) why infrequent intensive exercise (besides the benefit of allowing enough time for recovery and muscle building) is much more effective than exercising daily. As with drugs and sucking up to your boss, the MINIMUM EFFECTIVE DOSE (M.E.D.) should be at the forefront of your mind. Any more than the M.E.D. is a waste of time - and potentially dangerous.

(3) Real running (i.e. Sprinting) is great for us. Intensive, lower impact than jogging, more natural and suited to our bodies than jogging. Walking is great too. Natural, uses most muscles, low impact, minimal effect on cortisol (unless you're walking to the dentist). Jogging or distance running is for suckers. But it's great for shoe salesmen, knee surgeons and emergency heart surgeons. ;-)

(4) Right, walking vs. 'sucker-running' (aka jogging not sprinting).
    Walking over the same distance will burn far more calories (and do more for your heart/soul/gizzards and stool movements) than jogging. Plus you can do it without dressing up like an idiot or wasting money on expensive gear which you think says "LOOK AT ME! I'M BEING HEALTHY AND ****!" Buy which actually says "LOOK AT ME! I FALL EASILY FOR MARKETING SHTICK! PLUS I'M GOING TO DIE EARLIER (or need a Zimmer-frame sooner) THAN YOU!" like that ding-bat Jim Fixx (who DIDN'T invent jogging but is responsible for the 'fad').

If you're keen to burn more fat, eat sensibly, ditch the grains and energy drinks and sleep at least eight hours per night. Your body will do amazing things all by itself if you simply stop trying to pound it into submission. :-)
    BW

sigh.
    thank all that is holy that you came along to educate us all.

what a pity that you felt the need to name call while demonstrating your utter failure to grasp what motivates most runners.

but yes. obviously we're the 'ding dongs'.

you might want to try a bit of actual redesrch though. you know, with actual studies. because your llast few points are particulsrly misguided.

good luck though. i'm sure you're perfectly lovely when the ego and smugness are in abeyance.