Milk and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• terlyn20
    terlyn20 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    i crave milk like a crazy women. i've had 3 cups of whole fat today and in the last 3 days i have drank a whole gallon on tru moo choc. sometimes i dont even bother with a glass. i've given almond and skim all a fair try. i despise them both. i can tolerate coconut milk when i make the filipino avocado smoothie. i love FAT!
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Cows eat a lot of grains and grasses... they only drink milk while babies (about 9 months to 12 months no different than human babies when breast fed).... But even though the calves are still nursing, they will start eating grains at as early as 1 month....

This is why they get so big...! before you start saying that is why they are big... find out what cows put in their systems and when! Good thing I was raised around cattle!
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Why do you think cows get that big? It's the milk, duh.

Calves (baby cows) eat a lot of grains and grasses... they only drink milk while babies (about 9 months to 12 months no different than human babies when breast fed).... But even though the calves are still nursing, they will start eating grains at as early as 1 month....

This is why they get so big...! before you start saying that is why they are big... find out what cows put in their systems and when! Good thing I was raised around cattle!
  • ADietadaM
    ADietadaM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Some people like milk others don't.
    But i think is health, the low fat milk.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I like very much milk with coffee or a little bit of chocolate. I drink low fat milk. I did read that milk create inflamation on body and maybe can not help in weight loss because of that.

I would like to know how much milk we can drink per day?
    Milk doesn't help weight loss?
    Is bad to drink milk before bedtime?

Thank you

Milk is just another beverage. Unless you doctor says otherwise, moderation is the key. I'm lactose AND soy intolerant so I chose to use Lactaid fat free milk. The only reason I drink the fat free is because for my homemade mocha's in the morning it foams really well.

I use unsweetened cocoanut milk on my cereal, though.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    cow's milk is for baby cows.

Almond milk is for baby almonds.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Milk is fine. Humans drink it, baby cows drink it, whatever, if you like it drink it, it's not going to hurt you. Like many foods/drinks it's perfectly healthy in moderation. As long as you're not overdoing it and staying in a calorie deficit you'll continue to lose weight.

I've never tried almond milk personally but I've heard it's pretty good as well.
  • ADietadaM
    Options
    Thank you for all the comments.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Switch to almond milk. It's low calorie, healthy, and delicious. :) I haven't drank any other milk in such a long time.

i had to stop drinking milk products (well, not "had to " exactly, but two doctors recommended it due to bloating). I found almond milk and truly enjoy it. I drink it every morning. one 8 ounce glass has 30 calories and has 45% of my daily calcium intake.

Note: I love cow's milk, too. but as i said, i gave it up due to bloating--not because of dislike of taste or calories.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Switch to almond milk. It's low calorie, healthy, and delicious. :) I haven't drank any other milk in such a long time.

i had to stop drinking milk products (well, not "had to " exactly, but two doctors recommended it due to bloating). I found almond milk and truly enjoy it. I drink it every morning. one 8 ounce glass has 30 calories and has 45% of my daily calcium intake.

Note: I love cow's milk, too. but as i said, i gave it up due to bloating--not because of dislike of taste or calories.

Wow, I had no idea almond milk was so low on calories. I think an 8oz glass of skim milk is around 80 calories. I'll have to give it a try one day.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Milk doesn't make you fat. Eating too much makes you fat especially in reference to your other post about sugar.
  • ADietadaM
    Options
    Milk doesn't make you fat. Eating too much makes you fat especially in reference to your other post about sugar.

And i did answer to you in that post.
  • rosemary98
    Options

Wow, I had no idea almond milk was so low on calories. I think an 8oz glass of skim milk is around 80 calories. I'll have to give it a try one day.

not all brand are...and not all types of a particular brand are low calorie. I buy blue diamond (refrigerated) almond milk. There is also almond milk on the dry shelves--I have never purchased those. I buy "unsweetened" "vanilla" (I know, that sounds like a contradiction.) The is also "unsweetened" "original" also 30 calories. just make sure to check the label to see you are getting the 30 calorie one. Note: the unopened life of the milk is very generous--a month or two. Once it is opened, the label suggests it is consumed in 5 days. Not a problem for me.

http://www.bluediamond.com/index.cfm?navid=53
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had issues with milk before? If not keep on drinking it and fit it into your daily calories. In the mornings when I have school I'm lazy and not very hungry, so I have one scoop of slim fast powder with 240 mLs of milk, it's a nice way to get protein and calcium into my day.

Now for your questions:
    1. As much as you can tolerate and fit into your daily calories.
    2. Pretty much all I drink is milk, water, and v8. I've lost almost 25 pounds. If it fits into your day you can lose weight.
    3. It's bad if you drink milk before bedtime WITHOUT brushing your teeth afterwards. There are natural sugars found in milk and if you don't clean your teeth before bed it can ruin them. Ever heard of bottle rot?
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I love how people poo-poo milk and then suggest switching to almond, soy, or some other fake milk ... If one has an allergy or an intolerance, that's perfectly goo advice ... I've noticed that the majority of people who dis real milk (dairy in general, whether it be cow, sheep, goat ...), are generally of that whole "clean eating" mindset, which if you stop to think about it is kind of oxymoronic, since the whole gist of "eating clean", is eating minimally processed foods ... and last time I checked, real dairy milk is way less processed than those pseudo-milks ...