Do you track calories before or after you've had your meal?

Options
I've been wondering about this for a bit. How many of y'all plan ahead? Do you think there's any negative side to doing so? I do it, because I'm scared of eating too much and ruining the balance of my meals. Hate to end up with too few calories for dinner.

Replies

• sarahyourprincess
    sarahyourprincess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I tend to track before I eat if I can.
    That way I know if I'm making a good decision or not, and if I don't have the calories for what I want, I can either shift some snacks or other meals to accomodate it, or make a healthier decision.
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do both. I usually track my breakfast, snack, and lunch early in the morning and plan ahead for those meals. But dinner, I'm never sure what we are going to have, so I don't track that one in advance.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I track my entire day in advance on most days-the exception being when I'm planning a meal out. On days I do track ahead of time I go back and make adjustments as needed.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I tend to do it "while" I'm having my meal lol.
    However, if I am planning on eating something that I've been craving badly, I note them BEFORE and make sure my measurements on intake are correct. For healthier items, I don't track them right away, usually do it on the next meal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    during the week i log in the morning as we do a menu of what we are having for our evening meal and i usually take lunch that i make the nigh tbefore, and then can add extra snacks in the evening depending how many cals i haave left - i workout after work so get a few more cals then.

on a weekend, i log through the day as i eat, or at the end of the day, but i keep a mental note as i have been on here long enough to have a rough idea how many cals i have eaten.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I sometimes track my entire week in advance. Normally it's just the day though, or breakfast and lunch for a few days but no dinner until that day.
    For the most part I'll try to track ahead, doesn't always happen. Usually it's if/when we go out that I don't track ahead, but I still have a rough idea of then numbers in my head.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I track my week in advance. I meal plan for a week, and it helps me keep everythingbAlanced and I can see where I can add in snacks when/if I want.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I plug in what I know each morning. This maybe leaves a few gaps, but it gives me a steer of whether I need to add in more protein, or ease off on the sugar.

I cant think of any negatives about planning ahead - it's easy enough to take something out if you dont actually eat it.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I generally log each day the night before. I plug in my daily treat first and plan my macros around it. :bigsmile:
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I enter calories accurately as I prepare each meal as for worrying about enough calories for dinner if I happen to be short then 20 mins on elliptical while it cooks would give me sufficient exercise calories to maintain my deficit.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    depends.

I eat more or less the same every day, so i know more or less how many cals i'll be using.

if i am eating out, eating somethign out of the ordinary etc, then i'll pre-log.

if i find myself starting to graze mindlessly, then i'll pre-log and that usually helps me to stop.
  • t1954
    t1954 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I log them after the meals while it is still fresh
  • thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I track my entire day in advance on most days-the exception being when I'm planning a meal out. On days I do track ahead of time I go back and make adjustments as needed.

Exactly this :)
  • Ithina1
    Ithina1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I plan most of my day in advance. I find this helps me stay on track and I am less hungry. I don't plan my whole day because sometimes things pop up, like a birthday cake at work. I want to be able to indulge in those sorts of things while staying within my calorie goals.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I do it before. That way I have no choice but to stick to it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I track as I eat typically. My days are pretty steady tho. I try and work it so I have calories after my dinner so if I want I can have ice cream...or cookies etc.

But that being said I typically know what I am having for lunch and supper before it's time so I can put in my food in the morning but if I change my mind I adjust intake accordingly.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I usually log everything I've ate before I've had it, but the only time I don't is if I know it will in my calories for the day.
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I usually plan out my day over my morning coffee. I'm a creature of habit and tend to eat the same things day to day for breakfast, lunch and evening snack. I've built up a good amount of recipes using the recipe builder on this site so can easily add dinner in too. I like knowing what I have remaining for calories the rest of the day.
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    BEFORE!!!! Nothing goes into my mouth until I log it!! That way I can't mess myself up. I always know where I'm at. I don't log days in advance but every meal and a lot of the time the whole day. Keeps me straight! Just what works for me :flowerforyou:
  • MandyMason7
    MandyMason7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Usually before, I try to pre-log my day, if for some reason I don't stick to it and I add something or subtract something that's done whenever I decide to change it. It's very rare for me to eat something before tracking it.