At work exercises

Options
I am a secretary and I sit at my computer all...day....long! I was wondering if anyone had any "at desk" exercises they could share?

Replies

• DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I get a 20min. walk in during lunch or 10-15min. walk if I can't fit into lunchtime.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You can always do crunches while sitting.....Just push your bottom forward and go to it.....I have also heard of alot of people using those big balls as their work seat....It causes you to use you abs more.
  • jennylynn1977
    Options
    I would be intersted in other peoples responses as well, I am also a secretary.
    I do remember on an episode of Biggest loser, that while doing a copy job to stand on your toes for 30 seconds and then your heels for 30 seconds and keep repeating, it's supposed to strenghten your leg muscles. Also while sitting at your desk typing you could do leg lifts.
  • mikeivb
    mikeivb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    good suggestions - I sit all day for work too, I try to take the long route when getting a drink or going to the washroom, also taking stairs instead of the elevator. You can always track your walking with a pedometer and then try to increase it daily :)
  • zed01
    zed01 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have read that in every 60mins of sitting down you should stand a least for 10mins.The time can be used to reposition your chair ,tidy the desk , get a drink of water or other activity that you can do.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    i have a desk job too, but i just use my lunch breaks or work out in the morning or at night. it can be done.
  • Dez175
    Dez175 Posts: 3
    Options
    GRAB A LARGE WATER BOTTLE AND DO SOME ARM CURLS AND EXTENSION. YOU CAN ALSO DO LEG LIFTS WHILE SITTING AT YOUR DESK, JUST STRETCH BOTH LEGS OUT IN FRONT OF YOU ( LIKE THIS ONE FOR ABS AS WELL). STAND UP AND DO CALF RAISES...... UP AND DOWN ON YOUR TOES. TAKE TEN MINUTES BREAKS AND WALK , OR EAT LUCH WHILE YOU, AND WALK DURING LUNCH. HOWEVER YOU CAN GET IN..........EVERY LITTLE BIT COUNTS. :flowerforyou:
  • Mandie1120
    Mandie1120 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to do butt squeezes at my desk :) I also parked farther away for that extra walk. Under your desk you can kick your legs like you are swimming and that totally works your legs. There are tons of them and some other people posted some good ones too. Just dont do the Hershey nugget arm curls anymore ;)
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    iPhone has an app called "SqueezeItIn" for free. It's supposed to be exercises to do while doing housework, but I don't see why most of them can't be used at a desk.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    here are a few ideas, hope they help answer your question
    tricep dips - use the edge of the seat or arms of the chair,
    desk push-ups
    if your seat spins you can twist side to side to target your obliques and relax your back
    if you keep a resistance band in your desk drawer (or purse) you can do many more, but the two that are most significant for counteracting the effects of siiting at a desk are a chest stretch ( keeping arms straight, extend overhead and then behind you) and a mid-back pull ( hold the band in front and stretch it wide, pulling your elbows back and shoulder blades together.)
    you can also do lunges anywhere, calf raises
    the ball is a great idea, but many bosses wouldn't allow it.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Every time you get up to use the restroom (and of you're drinking your water this should be every 45-60 minutes), do 10-20 wall push-ups in the restroom. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart about 2-3 feet from the wall (the further your feet are from the wall, the harder you will work). Place your hands, palms flat, against the wall slightly wider than shoulder-width. Do push-ups, lowering yourself until your nose almost touches the wall.

After that, do 10 lunges across the bathroom floor (assuming your ladies' room is big enough!). Place your hands on your hips, or out to the side if needed for balance, with feet together. Step forward with your right foot and bend your right leg until your knee is over your toes. Take a big step and make it count. You can either step back to the starting position with your right foot, or step forward with your left foot to come to your extended right leg. Then repeat with your left leg. You'll really feel these in your thighs.

Do these at every potty break and you can get in a significant workout every day. Good luck!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i was looking for some things to do while at work and these sound great....thanks for the tips...