Sedentary weight loss?

Options
I've always gotten the impression that to lose weight all over, you need a fair share of cardio.
I'm a new mom wanting to get back in shape, but it seems virtually impossible being stuck in a room day and night. I've always lost my weight by walking/running, but now I'm forced to do exercises at home with very little space to do them in. When I first started to maintain my weight, I would seem to yield little results from working out at home.

I'm hoping to hear some advice from someone in a similar situation, or someone who had success losing/maintaining weight while living a sedentary lifestyle.

Replies

• ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are a number of us here that have lost without exercise. I lost about 20 lbs total. I needed to get my intake under control before I added exercise to the mix.

All you have to do is create a deficit.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    As a new mum you will get plenty of exercise just looking after the baby, and taking it out, pushing the pram etc.

Loads of us do not have "work outs" or go to gym. Just walking counts as cardio
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Why cant you go anywhere? After my daughter was born, I walked with her and my dog outside every day.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight only dieting. It was very slow and I didn't look so good in the end. Now I've started working out to change my skinny-fat look and things are a lot better. Try to do as little as you can to preserve your muscles because you won't be very happy when you reached your GW
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think losing slowly will be good in the long run because it'll more than likely stick verses losing quickly.
  • zensugi
    zensugi Posts: 76
    Options
    Or you can use weights successfully, as other MFP members have done.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Diet is for weightloss exercise is for fitness. Most weightloss is achieved by getting your diet sorted so there is no reason you cant lose weight that way though it will be slower. I would though urge you to fit some exercise in even if only walking as it will all help your long term health
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You certainly can lose weight without exercise. But as a new mom, why not get yourself a sling, Ergo, or Moby wrap, tuck baby in and walk! Most babies love to be carried in a wrap on your chest and walked around for hours.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Barring a health condition, the only thing needed for weight loss is a calorie deficit.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    You can't take bubs out in a pram?

I do a lot of walking with my 2 girls in a pram. It's great. Also you can do work outs from dvd's etc. Unless you are living in a shoebox, surely there is some place to work out?
  • BronwynNZ
    BronwynNZ Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ways to get some exercise into your day without leaving the house. For example cleaning, you tube exercise videos. Even if its just 5 mins at a time. Something is better than nothing.
  • bird_3_lee
    bird_3_lee Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    another option is to do workouts at home in your living area there are heaps of great dvds out there, and I have a ps3 move. One of the games i have is a fitness regime 'get fit with Mel B' it has nutriton plan and a different workout each day and tells you how many calories you burn each session.
    Im sure wii fit and other programs would be just as fun while being important tools for weightloss.
    I only have a small living area so I have to move the coffee table out of the way each time but that only adds up to extra calories burnt.
    I have two kids so even though I walk the eldest one to school a couple of days a week it is 1.3ks each way and for my little four yo that is her limit. When we get home after that she is tired out. plus Im a carer so I cant just go to the gym
    feel free to add me if u want to know anything else that might help:smile:
  • UpandRunning2013
    UpandRunning2013 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have three kids and my youngest is now 3. It is difficult getting exercise in at the beginning but tbh, it is just a matter of determination and planning. Like other posters suggested babies love going for walks in the pram or a sling etc and you can both get out for some fresh air. I had the same reservations and there seemed to be so many other things I had to do and I couldn't find time to do exercise. Then , I suddenly got motivated and I used to take the baby in the pram and walk from one lamp post to the next and then jog one lamp post to the next etc. to burn more cals. Next during the winter in bad weather, I did Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and I could fit this in while baby was napping because it is only 25 mins and had time to shower and recoer. I think there are also other dvds out there for mum's to do with their babies if you google you will find them. I also just wanted say that you will have to REALLY WANT TO DO THIS AND MAKE IT A PRIORITY otherwise it won't get done. Get yourself a workout time (eg when baby has morning/afternoon nap) and SHOW UP! Best of luck! Feel free to friend me if you like!
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've only recently taken out a gym membership, I lost the majority of my weight by reducing my portion sizes and walking.
    Good luck
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen and fitness in the gym. Bottom line.
  • snshne31
    snshne31 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here is a great website that has 10-20 min fitness video's from top trainers...this will really help boost your metabolism!!! Has great recipes as well.

POP Sugar fitness: http://www.fitsugar.com/
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    As others before me have said, really all you need for weight loss is a calorie deficit.

However, exercise will help change your body in ways you will be thankful for later in life. Resistance training helps you be strong, and keeps your body in great shape, also helps your bones and many other benefits. Cardio is great for fitness.

When I was a young mother, I put my daughter in her pram and walked. Was great for her as well, she either slept or watched the world go by. Walking is fabulous exercise, and you can do it as soon as you put your shoes on.

Best of luck!
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Any mother and baby groups in your area? I used to do a swimming class & everyone had babies in car seats, on the side of the pool. Perhaps ask at the local baby clinic about classes for new mums, when you get the little one weighed?

And congratulations!

It is hard being stuck in you get a little stir crazy - like others have said, wrap you both up warm and get out for a walk. x
  • JorisSt
    Options
    Eat low carb food. Combine with proteins. Try to move around your house instead of sitting all day.

Watch out video about Dr Charles, that can be usefull to...

Joris s.
    weightloss-tips.eu