Does exercise ever get fun?

Options
124»

Replies

• Go4it1985
    Go4it1985 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Also time of day when you do it can impact I expect.

For example, if you are not a morning person and you are dragging yourself out of bed to exercise early in the morning - then that's not going to be fun. However, that might change if you thought that once you completed your exercise you've done something good for yourself for the rest of the day :)

However, if you do it later in the day - that might be too much time for you to make excuses and talk yourself out of it as it will seem like a chore that you have to accomplish when you have so much "more important" things to do.

So time that you choose to do it can flavour your perspective.

My personal preference is to exercise on Mondays (and other days) and to make that a mandatory day as that means I've gotten out at least one workout before the end of the week...
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I have been working out for a week now- and I'm doing it but not liking it. I know I need to do it for my health and for weigh loss- but my question to everyone is:

Did you ever start liking exercise?
    How long before it got "easier"?
    What keeps you going back to the gym for more?

Nope, I hate it
    It never gets easier, because I try and keep the intensity going
    I'm very goal oriented and I know that exercise will help me meet certain health & fitness goals

QFT

Also

To eat more food
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am lifting weights, alternate days weights/cardio. I Miss my weights on cardio days. I could lift everyday, but I have to have days off to allow muscles to repair. So yes, if you try different things you will find something you enjoy. Just don't wait 20 years like I did, get out there and start experimenting :-)
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I agree with finding something you enjoy and keeping at it. Plus, you may find that as you get in better shape, some of the things you hate you may start to enjoy, who knows! I despise going to the gym so I don't do that. But I surf, kayak, run, hike, and bike mainly. Maybe you can start bike commuting to work and see how you like that (if it's feasible)? Then you have more of a purpose to your exercise than just weight loss. Maybe you could ask your friends if you can join them doing some of the things they love-enthusiasm can be contagious. For me, the calories burned doing the things I love is just a bonus-I do them because they are fun. That being said, I am a very active person and I'm pretty overweight, so that goes to show how important it is to eat well!
    Good luck!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I am lifting weights, alternate days weights/cardio. I Miss my weights on cardio days. I could lift everyday, but I have to have days off to allow muscles to repair. So yes, if you try different things you will find something you enjoy. Just don't wait 20 years like I did, get out there and start experimenting :-)

This is my problem! I want to lift every day, but it is counterproductive for the reasons you stated. I usually combine the two and do 20 minutes of the elliptical---lift---20 more minutes of the elliptical or some other form of cardio. I do this mainly because it saves gas when I don't have to drive to the gym every day, and I find it difficult to get motivated to go to the gym purely for cardio.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I used to hate all forms of exercising. Even going for a walk.

First thing that changed was I got a dog - he needs to be walked for at least an hour every day. I walk him before work every day, and now that I have him to focus on/a purpose I actually quite enjoy walking and its a pleasant way to start my day!

Then I started going to some fitness classes at the gym at work. I really enjoyed them and they helped improve my general fitness - once I started to feel fitter, I joined a gym outside work and now I'm in there 6 days a week.

I do 3 days cardio, 3 days strength

Cardio - I started the C25K programme and am on Week 7 now - I find the constant improvement to be a great motivator and its really enjoyable. Once I got over the mental barrier of 'I'm unfit and can't do it' I added rowing. I do a 2000m row after my run and I love it - I try to improve my time or up resistance every session. I tired the elliptical and I HATED it, and the bike is sooo boring so I just use that for cool down now. But I really do now enjoy the sense of achievement I get from running and rowing.

Strength - I just started the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Every session I lift heavier and that in itself is a great motivator - I'm doing things I never thought I could do, AND my clothes already feel looser!!!!

So yes, I found that once I started feeling a bit fitter that I really enjoyed exercising. Plus it gives me so much more energy on a daily basis, and I like my hour or two to myself every day. My OH is shocked that his couch potato girlfriend is now a bit of a gym bunny!
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    What they said. Pick something you enjoy. So I do Samba or Bellydance DVD's. After a couple of weeks of panting and feeling like I was going to die, you start to look forward to it, even miss it if you can't do it (because you start to feel better, sleep better, be more relaxed, and less stress after you start working out for a week or two). So got inspired to go further.

Picked a Jillian Michaels DVD (30 day shred) circuit training because it's only 20 minutes, and I know that in 3 years from now, I will still be willing to do a 20 minute DVD every day. I know that in 3 years from now I will NOT be willing to go to a gym, and certainly not do elliptical trainers or any machine like that. So I have started with things I am willing to do, either because they are fun or short enough to where the thought of it doesn't discourage me, and they have become things that I LOVE to do. So now I do more, and have tried things normally that would have really turned me off from exercise.

I even love doing the 20 min Jillian Michaels circuit training - I can't believe I like it - that's not me! But I do!. After a couple of weeks, you'll start to NOTICE that it is getting easier, then after the 3rd or 4th week, you start to see results in your body. That got me so excited I ordered another of her DVD's.

I have been essentially sedentary since 1996, but now I LOVE to exercise. Because I only do my quick 20 min every day, or something I love like dancing. Pick something you think you can maintain for a long time - years - then when you start to LOVE it, you will be inspired to do more/harder/longer.

This is exactly how I started two and half years ago. I started with 30 day shred, then got more Jillian DVDs, then moved onto Jackie Warner, then Bob Harper. I have 19 DVDs by these 3! I'm now doing Insanity! If you'd told me 3 years ago that I was working out 6 days a week, first thing in the morning I'd have laughed at you! Something just clicked and I love doing DVDs at home alone! I started with 30 Day Shred, as the above poster said, it was only 20 mins so doable and not too daunting!
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    yes, when you find something you enjoy! When you push yourself to accomplish things you never thought you could. When you start seeing the results of it, whether it be in a new jeans size or just being able to enjoy the day out with your family without getting so tired. When your life starts to revolve around other things instead of what the next meal or snack is going to be. I raised three kids and worked a lot. Kids are grown up now and exercise has become my hobby, passion and "me" time. Its MY time away from the computer, daily problems, house work, everything. Just my time. Instead of making it a chore or just one more thing to squeeze into your day, try to look at it as your escape from the everyday responsibilities. Find something you enjoy, walking, biking, a workout video, the gym...anything YOU enjoy. Make it your own and you will start looking forward to it! Good luck. :)
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I have been working out for a week now- and I'm doing it but not liking it. I know I need to do it for my health and for weigh loss- but my question to everyone is:

Only the active things I enjoy, which unfortunately aren't things I can do every day - dancing, skiing, country or beach walks, for example. I have, however, found types or exercise I can tolerate, if not enjoy. One of the things that worked best for me, initially, was to make it less about 'exercise' and more about 'getting home' ie. I started walking home from work most days - a brisk 45-50 minute walk. Then I tried to walk to places I needed to get to on a more general level - if it was up to 45 mins/1hr away, I'd usually walk instead of taking the bus/tube. As summer picked up, I incorporated some cycling into my evening commute and weekend errands - doing something, going somewhere with a purpose, rather than the loathed exercise for exercise' sake, which I have often previously started...and stopped within a few weeks or months, at best.
    "easier" - well, the walking home started to get faster and less demanding fairly quickly - say a month at most, and gradually improved further. Other things, it depends on how often you do them and how intensively. As for what keeps me going back? Unfortunately, exercise is the only thing that makes a real difference to my body shape, and it gives me enough calories 'back' that I don't feel totally deprived by restricting foods and portions. Basically, it makes this whole thing possible.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options

Generally, not wanting to be 300 pounds again works for me
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy doing. That will make it fun!

As for it getting easier....if it gets easier that means your body has gotten used to it and you need to push yourself further.

What gets you going back...the little victories that happen when you start losing weight. Hold on to those so you do not back slide. Notice every little thing that you achieve from your clothes getting looser to your rings getting looser to being able to walk or run further.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It does when you are a competitive rower and your goal is to be the best rower in the country in your age classification.

Good, better, best, never let it rest, till your good is better and your better is best.

Train mean, eat lean, row supreme !

360 days logged in a row - 1 year just around the bend .
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I say no. Exercise sucks, its always sucked, and it is always going to suck. (Because I hate to exercise) lol
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options

I don't go to a gym because for me that would not be enjoyable. I walk 5-6 days a week and have added some running in. That's it and I love it :)
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Why is it a foregone conclusion that one MUST exercise? You can lose weight without exercising. I'm doing it. If you hate exercise, you're probably not going to make it a permanent lifestyle change, so why bother?
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Why is it a foregone conclusion that one MUST exercise? You can lose weight without exercising. I'm doing it. If you hate exercise, you're probably not going to make it a permanent lifestyle change, so why bother?

Yep to this- I lost most of my weight with no exercise at all. I started walking after I went into maintenance and at the time it was an excuse to get away from my kids for a bit :laugh: I've since fallen in love with it and have added some running in, but I do it because I enjoy it, not because I 'have' to :)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

Nope, I hate it
    It never gets easier, because I try and keep the intensity going
    I'm very goal oriented and I know that exercise will help me meet certain health & fitness goals

QFT

Also

To eat more food

^this. Also, I have just gotten addicted and become a gym rat. But my main reason is that for me personally, killing it in the gym a few days per week in exchange for rarely having to worry much about calories is worth it and makes life so much easier for me. It is not for everyone though.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you have to pick something you think is fun in the first place. It can be difficult and still be fun. Everyone has a different idea about what is fun. I hate doing videos at home. Because I don't like this form of exercise, I simply don't do it. Instead I go outside and ride my bike or walk or run.

I also really like jogging and group fitness classes. This is how I can get at least 1 hour of intense exercise a day without getting bored or giving up. Even though it is hard, I feel like it is time well spent.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise.

Go to your doctor get a pill for stress. Get another one for cholesterol. Get another pill for high blood pressure. Another for whatever else you need. Then buy one of those big pill boxes to carefully organize the colorful array of pills you take each day, Taking a handful of pills is far easier than exercising. It doesn't take up much time and you don't get all sweaty,