do you hit a wall when trying to lose weight?

Options
my goal isn't that crazy, considering my ideal body weight might actually be 180 (my goal is 200 lbs)

is it true you hit a wall?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Most people hit a plateau some months into it, when your body adjusts to the lower calories and increased exercise. At that point, it's usually just a matter of switching something up a little (trying a new exercise or upping one nutrition macro or another) and just waiting. It generally settles out.

It doesn't necessarily mean you're doing anything wrong, just that you have a body that's primed for adapting for survival. That's a good thing. Don't let the worry of plateau stop you.
  • heatherannh23
    heatherannh23 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yeah, any monotony after you've been working out and eating right for awhile will make your body accustom to it. Try a new exercise, challenge yourself. It'll pick up again. The goal is to shock your body (:
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have been at a "wall" since June. .I wasn't moving past 142.8... not even an ounce... I added some runs to my workout routine..and it went to 141... i'm stuck between 140 and 141... its slowly creeping down.. right now I am focusing on strength training..and a few runs a week to see if I can knock my body out of its "routine"... I keep getting told i'm getting skinnier..but I'm not seeing it in ANY numbers... :/ Good luck..change up your routine some! just remember this is a LIFE change..not an instant change!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet. I'm 16 lbs from my goal and guessing it will slow down at some point though (I've lost 6 lbs the last month so it definitely hasn't yet). I stall every month but never longer than 3 weeks so I don't really call that a wall.

Typically people who hit a wall when they are still pretty far from their goal are doing something wrong, IMO.
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options
    i don't think i hit a wall or anything i posted a bunch of stuff on the fitness reddit.

like one worry was that i'd be so skinny like those cross country runners but i was told that won't happen with my height. super skinny would be like 160 lbs for me or 150 lbs so i'll be fine plus i weight train, but i might not actually increase my weights.

one important thing i learned is that i have to choose between cutting fat and gaining muscle...so i choose cutting fat.

i mean, i still want to lit weights, but at the moment i would rather focus on body excercize push ups pull ups sit ups, running, weights, maybe swimming eventually...

i mean as great as lifting is, i think i know what i'd rather have right now.