Late night eating

Options
1) How true is it that eating late, soon before sleeping hurts weight loss (I'm not talking about a full meal, more like a snack)

2) I often do late night workouts due to a strange work schedule. Would it be more beneficial to not eat anything after working out and wait for breakfast or eat something small like a protein shake to replenish then go to sleep.

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    1) How true is it that eating late, soon before sleeping hurts weight loss (I'm not talking about a full meal, more like a snack)

2) I often do late night workouts due to a strange work schedule. Would it be more beneficial to not eat anything after working out and wait for breakfast or eat something small like a protein shake to replenish then go to sleep.

How about a protein drink. I have started making: 1 cup milk , 1/2 cup pure pumpkin with 1 tbs almond butter - very filling and not too high in calories.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    you can eat your calories any time. so don't worry about it. :)

having something before you go to sleep would only be beneficial to your ability to go to sleep - in the sense of avoiding a rumbling tummy. there is no benefit / deficit to the timing of that caloric intake.
  • LittleonebeforethethroneofGod
    Options
    I find out that if I eat before going to bed, I seem to sleep better. I try to have healthy snacks. I don't think it matters when you eat your amount of calories for each day......
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    The only difference I've found that eating later makes for me is I weigh a bit heavier first thing in the morning since there is still food in my system. Otherwise I don't see a difference.
  • Lorix94
    Lorix94 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The only difference I've found that eating later makes for me is I weigh a bit heavier first thing in the morning since there is still food in my system. Otherwise I don't see a difference.

Agree. for istance I usually drink a ton of camommilla befor bed and sometimes I weight less in the evening than in the morning
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

1.) not true at all. I eat up to 1,000 cals right before bed daily and have had no problem loosing weight.

2.) eat what ever you want as long as you stay within your caloric needs. Shake and/or meal, that's up to you. If you have a shake make sure it's Casein Protein cause it's a slower digesting protein. Cottage cheese has the same effect.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options

1. Not true at all.
    2. I work out late-usually grab a protein shake. Feed dah muscles.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    not at all
    I work out frm 8 PM - 11 PM.

I leave my office and I get to the gym around 5/6... I work- then I work out.

I'm FAMISHED by the time I get home. I would literally DIE if I didn't eat. - no really- I die.

That being said- I eat a fairly large meal if I have time before I go to bed. Unless you find it affects your sleep- have your snack or have your meal and go to bed.