Food Measuring Question

How does one measure the calories in homemade soup?

Replies

• By measuring all the ingridients before cooking.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    I just did it this weekend...create a recipe...
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    I just did it this weekend...create a recipe...

Did the same thing..
    Loving the create a recipe option.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566 Member
    What is really nice about creating a recipe is the next time you make that soup its in there. I enter recipes for the meals i make often, makes life much easier!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    I create a recipe and then weigh the whole thing when it's finished. I use that end weight and the recipe servings number to determine how much a serving is in grams. I add that number to the name of the recipe to help me remember and then when I serve myself I weigh it and go by that. It also helps when there are leftovers.
  • simplybe13
    simplybe13 Posts: 24 Member
    I also create a recipe, weigh everything and log it, put in the recipe servings and then there it is!
    I also seperate it out into bowls as per the portion number as I find portion control difficult.
    Then I freeze them in individual portions so I always have something prepared (otherwise I head for the bread bin!!!)
    Just finished making spicy lentil soup.......yummy.

Good luck!
  • Keep in mind when you're adding the ingredients to your list, use the caloric value of the cooked items. Some foods change significantly depending on if and how they're cooked. For example, raw potatoes have little caloric value, because we have a hard time digesting raw starches, but once they're cooked they're well-digested.

Decent article that talks about this at http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2011/12/08/why-calorie-counts-are-wrong-cooked-food-provides-a-lot-more-energy/. Hope this helps!

Edit: failed to make that link a proper hyperlink.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    I create a recipe and then weigh the whole thing when it's finished. I use that end weight and the recipe servings number to determine how much a serving is in grams. I add that number to the name of the recipe to help me remember and then when I serve myself I weigh it and go by that. It also helps when there are leftovers.

^^Thanks! I've done the calculations for my soups, BUT always had trouble knowing what "1/6th" of the soup was. Duh! Weigh it. haha!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    I also create a recipe, weigh everything and log it, put in the recipe servings and then there it is!
    I also seperate it out into bowls as per the portion number as I find portion control difficult.
    Then I freeze them in individual portions so I always have something prepared (otherwise I head for the bread bin!!!)
    Just finished making spicy lentil soup.......yummy.

Good luck!

^^Nice! Do most soups freeze well? I'm assuming they would--that's an awesome option for my HUGE batch of French Onion Soup I always end up making.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Keep in mind when you're adding the ingredients to your list, use the caloric value of the cooked items. Some foods change significantly depending on if and how they're cooked. For example, raw potatoes have little caloric value, because we have a hard time digesting raw starches, but once they're cooked they're well-digested.

Decent article that talks about this at http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2011/12/08/why-calorie-counts-are-wrong-cooked-food-provides-a-lot-more-energy/. Hope this helps!

Edit: failed to make that link a proper hyperlink.

That's a good point!

And, potatoes...I try to avoid these altogether. Love them, but not worth the calories!