Temporary weight gain explained

Options
I "lifted" this from a P90X thread on Beachbody - but thought that MFPers would be interested in the information. It makes sense to me!

Probably the most common question I get when I release a new exercise program is, “Help! I’m gaining weight! Am I doing something wrong?” This is a common phenomena with any new exercise program, Turbo Kick, Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Hustle, you name it! It’s especially common (and temporary) with intense strength training programs like ChaLEAN Extreme or Tony Horton’s P90X.

The motivation to start a new exercise program is almost always to lose weight loss. However, what most personal trainers know and most at-home exercisers do not, is that a new exercise program often can cause an immediate (and temporary) increase on the scale. (Notice I didn’t say weight gain! I’ll explain.) This common increase in the scale is also the reason why perhaps millions of people start and then quickly quit their resolution to get fit.

The temporary weight gain explained:

When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and “unfamiliar” the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to “protect and defend” the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen with fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated in those first couple of weeks become discouraged and quit!

When I worked with a group of 70 test participants during the development stages of ChaLEAN Extreme, this happened. Who was the most upset and discouraged? You guessed it… the women! I’m happy to report with absolutely every single woman (and man) in our group, the weight increase was temporary and never lasted more than 2 weeks before they started to see a major drop in the scale. However, these people had the advantage of working with someone who was able to explain to them why this was happening and assure them the weight would come off if they stuck to the nutrition plan and stayed true to the program.

Replies

• blessedmomof8
    blessedmomof8 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thank You for sharing!
  • kidzpastorlynn
    Options
    Thank you so much. I just went through this and today amazingly enough, I saw a big drop.. I must admit I was getting a bit discouraged.:flowerforyou:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing. I am sure it will keep a few people from giving up
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Great article - thanks for sharing. I haven't experienced this phenomenon (Probably because I haven't pushed myself that hard), but my daughter has - and she almost did give up - she finally began losing little amounts, but she still struggles with not losing as much as others. So, thanks again for sharing - I have forwarded a copy of the article to her - hopefully it will encourage her to keep going.

Vickie
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    You're welcome. I experienced something similar and I think my not losing was a combination of not eating enough calories and the physical described above. Currently, I get on the scale daily for "motivation" if it goes down a little, great it inspires me... if it goes up a little I know I need to work harder. When I start P90X I am only going to weigh myself once per week because I suspect I may experience the same again due to the intensity.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing.....I've just changed up my routine and added more strength training to my regime and I'm experiencing this exact problem.

Today I was only seconds away from eating burgers, pizza, fries, candy etc I was so mad at the scale, but this explains it all and hopefully in the next week or 2 I'll see the results I was hoping for.
  • SelkieGhost
    SelkieGhost Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    A big thank you for posting this! This is the first time I've noticed a weight gain when starting up an exercise program (have done many a start up before falling off the routine in the past), so I was getting a little frustrated/concerned, and wondering if it was just me getting older and my body deciding it was done. I'll keep up with what I'm doing now, and see where I stand in a couple of weeks :-)
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Good to know!
  • js775219
    Options
    Thank you, I am about 2 weeks into a rigorous bootcamp routine and my weight went up a few pounds..but it feels so good to be exhausted (but getting stronger and fitter) that I wanted to keep going anyway, this just gave me that extra push I needed!
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness. This made me feel sooo much better. I just started kick boxing and was devastated to see that I had gained back 6.6lbs of the 27 I had lost so far. :)
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Happy to help and if you would like some more information regarding exercise science and a world of concrete information regarding fitness check out this website: http://www.hussmanfitness.org/
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!

I started adding Kettleworx to my regular Zumba workouts (alternating). I gained 5 pounds and know I have not overeaten. My clothes are fitting much better - I even have to get new pants because last season's are too big! I should feel great but I have been obsessing about the weight gain. You have put my mind at ease. Thank you so much!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    good info,explains a lot.Thanks!
    Jane
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Excellent explanation!!

I liken it to when you burn your arm. You can SEE the blister and water that developes above it. The protection God instilled in our bodies so that we don't further damage the area.

Same thing with our muscles. When I worked with a trainer for 2 weeks 3x a week, I was PO'd when I got on the scale and saw a 4 pound increase. WTH I yelled! I called her and she told me to pull out an old pair of jeans a size smaller...if I had a pair. They fit PERFECTLY! So I was smaller and tighter, but that ol beyotch of a scale wanted to send me off track. That was the week my good friend put the scale in her trunk for me!

Liberating!
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I wonder if this could explain my weight plateau, too.....I started doing Jillian Michaels Yoga Melt Down DVD, an intense aerobic version of a yoga workout. I haven't really gained much, but keep yo-yoing the same 0.2 to 0.4 pounds. I've been doing the DVD for almost 2 weeks (1 1/2 weeks).

Thanks for posting! I'll continue to work on this DVD, and hopefully see some weight "fall" off in the next week or so!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Bumpin :flowerforyou:
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    thanks so much! I decided to start exercising more than just walking last week and I gained 3 pounds. I am doing the 30 day shred and it is so hard for no results! But I am pushing through and looking forward to that big drop.
  • determined99
    Options
    it always happens to me when i try to lose weight....even now i lost 4 pounds....the more i exercise i seem to be getting heavier again. its so de motivating...:frown:
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I was really depressed until I read this.
    I hope this is what my problem is.
    I am on day 14 of doing P90X. I have lost almost 25lbs doing Turbo Jam and since I started doing P90X I started gaining back.
    Now if I didnt have to get married in one month I would suck it up and keep with it until I see the "big drop" But right now at this moment I am a little scared to.
    Its been two weeks now. Ill give it another week. Hopefully I start losing or at LEAST not gain anything

:(
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Excellent Post!