How do you treat your depression?? Lets Share!!!

Options
What do you do when you feel depressed?

I do everything what always makes me feel better and takes my depression away. I do the the workouts with music, meditation is one of the best anti-depression activity so I go for that too. Swimming is fun, it's a healthy activity for our body and mind and I just love it and feel relaxed when I swim. I cook whatever I feel like, mostly try something new I never cooked before. And most importantly, I talk about my problems and share my feelings with those who can listen with empathy and offer positive steps.

How do you treat your depression??

Replies

• Carissa145
    Carissa145 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I take a nice, long, hot bath :)
  • Jessica1173
    Jessica1173 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi, I find that what I put in media wise has a big impact on how I feel. I try to keep the things I watch, read and listen to lighthearted. I also take 5htp and St. John's Wort, and together they help a lot with depression and anxiety. Facing my fears helps a lot too. Following my intuition seems to help too. I have not been great at that the past few years, but I finally think I can improve in that area because I see the problem.

I have some weaknesses with my mode of treatment right now too. I really need to make some friends because I need someone to talk to besides someone I pay to listen to me or my family members. I am not great at making friends. I get really nervous, shy, timid and find it hard to open up in person. Sometimes you really need to talk to someone who is a friend but not as close as a family member, especially when you are in a stressful, life changing situation where you need to make good decisions. I have some plans to change this by moving and beginning new activities.
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Shopping!
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    1.) Loud.. LOUD... LOUDDD music with bass. Usually dubstep.
    2.) Swimming/sauna/hot tub
    3.) Watch "My little pony", seriously. It's just so cute, you can't help but to feel all happy with the silly characters.
    4.) Draw/paint/sculpt
    5.) Work out
    6.) Play with the cats, they love the laser pointer! They seem to like shopping bags, too. Whatever makes me giggle.
    7.) Clean up a bit or go around the entire place wiping things down with Lysol. Mostly cat hair and dust......
    8.) Watch stupid movies/shows. But I guess that sort of falls into #3.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Going for a walk usually helps me.
  • emisaur
    Options
    I've found the ketogenic diet has helped my depression and general mental cognition/capacity a lot
  • rosemary98
    Options
    has anyone ever tried a light therapy lamp for depression? I think I might suffer from seasonal affective disorder, and it is getting dark here fast. I haven't tried one yet.
  • LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Exercise specifically Zumba and walking. Taking a mutivitamin, b-complex vitamin, caltrate (for the vitamin D) and a fish oil pill. (per my MD). For me, this works better than previous prescriptions I was on.
  • lesterfaye81
    lesterfaye81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    100mg of sentraline and 10mg of L-methylfolate (Deplin) a day lol.

Oh and exercising outside as much as my bum ankle will allow it. (Isn't much)
  • theonenonlymrssmith
    Options
    Meditation, yoga, healthy whole foods, and fresh air!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I surround myself with the positive people in my life. I am an avid writer, so I express my emotions at THAT moment. The gym has been my saving grace, as I channel that energy into fuel to work out really hard and fatigue myself to the point I am unable to be depressed. So far these outlets have significantly minimized my bouts of depressing feelings.
  • LadyLibby1960
    Options
    Eating :(
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    hiking. a therapist. smoking a fat bowl.
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options
    I meditate on love. Doing this, I realize the transient and diminutive nature of my depression. Love is an inherent force, not a fleeting emotion - All you have to do is look!
    smoking a fat bowl.

Also, this.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Paxil, 20 mg QD, and talk therapy as needed.
    I've also purchased a SAD light, which really seems to be helping prevent my normal late fall/ early winter slide into the Pit. I have energy to do things now! I did laundry and cleaned the kitchen last weekend, instead of curling into a ball on the couch!

For your basic down day or bad mood, taking a walk (even a very short one) helps. So does taking fifteen or twenty minutes to search for the cutest, silliest YouTube videos I can find. When that fails, I treat myself to something small but fun- a new bottle of nail polish or two, a hank of fancy yarn (I knit), two or three truffles or a cookie from the candy store or French bakery nearby.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Getting stoned as mentioned above.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,011 Member
    Options
    Walking helps alot, upbeat music, watching funny things like comedies, getting out of the house, hot tub, reading
  • mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    has anyone ever tried a light therapy lamp for depression? I think I might suffer from seasonal affective disorder, and it is getting dark here fast. I haven't tried one yet.

We lived in Alaska for three years. The first winter was AWFUL with little to no daylight. The next two years were tolerable with my sunlamp. Be sure to choose one that is meant to treat SAD - Light boxes for SAD should be designed to filter out most UV light. Look for a light box that emits as little UV light as possible.

My list of coping skills for depression include: music, reading, tv, and eating (need to delete this last one off the list!!!)
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Laughing at people on the internet.

Youtube videos I mean. There is good stuff there.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    BOOZE!
    LOTS OF IT!
    red red wine makes me feel so fine..........