Smoker to 10K Runner In 6 Months!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    How did you finally quit smoking after so many attempts?
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Well done, that's a huge achievement
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    WOW Congrats on your MAJOR accomplishments!! Super motivation and inspiration!!
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    That is SO awesome! Congrats on quitting smoking and your first race!! A 10K as a first race, talk about a cherry on top! You are an inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing your awesome story... loved the chunky butt shuffle comment... that's how I feel every time I run (slow jog).
  • malaikathompson
    Options
    That's pretty awesome!!! I also recently starting running (well WOGGING as I call it) and I love it! I've never been an athlete (NEVER) and your post was so motivational!!! I'll be wogging my first 5k in 2 weeks. WooHoo!!!!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    That's great!!
    totally-awesome.gif

Love your mile-by-mile commentary... I do that, too. Every run has a "why the hell am I doing this" and "when will I like running" and "who the hell got me into this" and then usually ends up with some "ok, I'm not dying yet".. :laugh:
  • JaErb183
    Options
    So awesome!! Congratulations!!!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Congrats OP,

Did you notice a big difference when you quit smoking? If so how long before you noticed? I keep falling off the wagon trying to quit so I like to hear from ex smokers like you.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Great story, congratulations!!! :)
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Nice work!! My one year quit date was October 20th and I did a half marathon!!!
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 10k AND the quitting smoking! That's fantastic!
  • KerryPozzi
    KerryPozzi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I just had a similiar convo with my hubby last night. I can only run a 5K but I find that I really enjoy running now. I NEVER thought I would be a runner...well a penguin runnre...but a runner nonetheless.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Awesome inspiring story. Congratulations!!! I replaced smoking with running too, seems all the cool people are doing it! ;)
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!! I'm going to tackle a half next year sometime as well as a sprint distance Tri, both probably in the fall. Going to fill my spring and summer with 5 and 10K races just for practice with others around.

As for the smoking I wish I had grand words of wisdom to share that would help everyone but I don't. I don't know what made this time different for me. Just don't give up trying to quit. You will for sure feel SOOOOOO much better. I don't get winded changing clothes anymore and I don't wake up feeling like a 400 pound weight is on my chest. The biggest bonus is I no long feel like I'm living check to check and freaking out if I don't have at least $100 a week to spend on smoking!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!! I'm going to tackle a half next year sometime as well as a sprint distance Tri, both probably in the fall. Going to fill my spring and summer with 5 and 10K races just for practice with others around.

As for the smoking I wish I had grand words of wisdom to share that would help everyone but I don't. I don't know what made this time different for me. Just don't give up trying to quit. You will for sure feel SOOOOOO much better. I don't get winded changing clothes anymore and I don't wake up feeling like a 400 pound weight is on my chest. The biggest bonus is I no long feel like I'm living check to check and freaking out if I don't have at least $100 a week to spend on smoking!

You have plenty of time to train for a half in the spring ;-) I plan on doing the Martian half again in Dearborn!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options

You have plenty of time to train for a half in the spring ;-) I plan on doing the Martian half again in Dearborn!

I would but unfortunately my softball season starts in spring. Softball above all else! It is my first love and will get much of my time! That's why I picked fall.

Enjoy the half!! Hope you get a great PR out of it!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!! I DID THE SAME THING!
  • shelleytobefit
    shelleytobefit Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE this post....WAY TO GO!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!