What does your family say when you lose weight?

Options

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    "Are you still doing that thing?"

Since, as we all know, fitness is something you should just "do" for a couple of months and then stop. :explode:
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    My mother was happy for me and my grandmother and my husband ,my husband lol is actually the goal weight you have and he is 5ft 11in also , he wants to gain muscle though , he has always been slender, workaholic always busy ...
    My friends they noticed eventually , I have lost about 30 lbs since jan 1st , I was told the only reason no one notice earlier is because they felt in their own eyes I was so tiny , how sweet they are, I am 4ft 10 in started at 150 tiny no...not after 2 pregnancies 19 months apart almost to the day .

I'm here now at 120 and loving it almost to my size I was at this weight before my children :) I feel like a whole new person , Im not at my goal weight but I hope to be by Feb 9th my 30th birthday , I told myself if I get to my goal I can finally get the tattoo I want :)
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Just curious as to what some of your family members say

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
    Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
    Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    They all seem to want to know the #'s How much did you lose? How much do you weigh? I never tell and just say I don't know.

EXACTLY ME!!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    My grandma says I am getting "so skinny" and not to lose too much, or that I don't need to lose any more. (I'm about ten pounds from goal).

My mom doesn't say much, although once she hugged me and said "there's so much less of you to hug now!" That was pretty good to hear because my mom isn't exactly one to dole out the compliments. I overheard her refer to me as gorgeous to a friend of hers though and that made me feel pretty awesome - I'm not sure why she never says those things to my face!

No one else in my family says anything unless I bring it up.

Some friends have been proud of me and complimented me and others (who are larger) don't say anything even though the difference is very noticeable.

Coworkers have been the most vocal and complimentary oddly enough - it feels weird to have them noticing/commenting on my body that much!

Edited for typos.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    My sister says she hates me, every time she sees me now and then proceeds to attack me with what my pant size is and what I'm at in lifting, all with a look of disgust. I actually just got a lecture from my dad about how I'm at what he is calling my "ideal weight" and I need to stop.
    My husband hasn't said a peep. Smart man.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My Mum has stopped telling me how fat and bloated I am. Now she just tells me that she doesn't like my hair-cut. I can live with that. She always has to have something to moan about.

My wife is right beside me here on MFP. She's currently doing a P90X/Insanity/T25 Hybrid thing. Lifting heavy and eating clean.
    my parents are pretty supportive but still poke fun at it lol "all bones!!!" etc
    the rest of my family are is extremely rude about it honestly, they'll see me eating and say wow that's all? do you even eat? you should eat more etc. they don't even say it with concern, they say it to purposefully annoy me and receive a reaction.

Standard response to this should be "...but....but...I don't understand....if I did that, I would end up looking like you guys!" >insert dramatic shudder here<
  • xgirl451
    xgirl451 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My family is mostly supportive and complimentary. The most annoying comment is "You're so lucky that you can lose weight. I just can't seem to lose any!" Most people in my family are morbidly obese.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest, the only person that really said anything about it was my mother. She has always been very blunt and tended to say things like, "no one is going to hire you! You're so big that they're going to be afraid that you're going to keel over from a heart attack and die!" However, because she's so honest, she's also the only one who has said anything about my finally losing weight. She recently told me that she really sees a difference and she's proud of me for going to the gym. That's been a nice change for sure.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I've been at my goal weight for a couple years now. But my fitness as well as health goals are always changing. I am constantly eating healthier which to me means no processed food, making everything myself, lots of food prep, and a pretty high protein intake (I know its different for everyone). I also started lifting heavy (for me) over a year ago and HIIT (workouts are constantly changing as I get stronger and faster). Its always the same thing. You are already thin so why are you still eating that way and working out so much? Its hard to explain my fitness goals to friends, co workers, family. Plus, I always get questioned like I am doing something extreme or possible wrong with what I eat (I do tons of research and know what works for my body and makes me feel good) So, its frustrating to be questioned by someone I know eats fast food every day about why I do what I do. What helped me is making new like minded friends especially at the gym.Its not about being thin. To me its about being healthy and happy. This lifestyle makes me happy!

You bring up an awesome point. Even though you've been at your goal weight for a couple years, you are still continuing to challenge yourself and keep things fresh with your workout routines and diet. I think that is really the key to staying on track and not faltering and going back to the old bad habits again. This is always the point where I fail. I can lose weight no problem, stay motivated for 6 months or more, but then once I achieve my goal, I get bored and move on to something else and in slips the bad habits again slowly over time until I'm fat and blimped out again.

I'm going to take the same approach as you once I get to my goal weight. I want to first lose the fat, then add some muscle, and see how strong I can get. I think if I always have a goal to aim for, it'll keep things fresh and challenging and I'll be more prone to stay in shape once I get there.

I know what you're saying as well about others giving you advice. I hear ladies at work talking about calories or new diets or pills to take to lose weight and yet they always look the same, never any thinner or healthier looking. Then I get people that make fun of my lunches, oh another sandwich with fruit, nuts, and a yogurt. Well it's working, what are you doing? Haha! I guess in the end you just have to take charge of your own fitness and do what works best for you and leave the criticisms (if negative and not constructive) for the others.
  • cdahl383
    Options
    "Are you still doing that thing?"

Since, as we all know, fitness is something you should just "do" for a couple of months and then stop. :explode:

Exactly! I get that one a lot as well.
  • lets_fly_away
    Options
    My mom said I need to stop loosing weight my grandma said I'm so skinny my dad thinks I'm eating healthy .. My friend also told me to stop loosing weight.
  • cdahl383
    Options
    My mother was happy for me and my grandmother and my husband ,my husband lol is actually the goal weight you have and he is 5ft 11in also , he wants to gain muscle though , he has always been slender, workaholic always busy ...
    My friends they noticed eventually , I have lost about 30 lbs since jan 1st , I was told the only reason no one notice earlier is because they felt in their own eyes I was so tiny , how sweet they are, I am 4ft 10 in started at 150 tiny no...not after 2 pregnancies 19 months apart almost to the day .

I'm here now at 120 and loving it almost to my size I was at this weight before my children :) I feel like a whole new person , Im not at my goal weight but I hope to be by Feb 9th my 30th birthday , I told myself if I get to my goal I can finally get the tattoo I want :)

Awesome progress! Yeah I tend to get too fat if I don't watch myself and exercise since I have a desk job. I'm no Arnold but I have some muscle mass and I think if I lose the fat it'll be more visible, then I can just add a little more over time and see how I look from there.

It sounds like you've made some awesome progress, congrats!
  • cdahl383
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest, the only person that really said anything about it was my mother. She has always been very blunt and tended to say things like, "no one is going to hire you! You're so big that they're going to be afraid that you're going to keel over from a heart attack and die!" However, because she's so honest, she's also the only one who has said anything about my finally losing weight. She recently told me that she really sees a difference and she's proud of me for going to the gym. That's been a nice change for sure.

Sounds like a great mom. She told you like it was and it hit home for you and you took charge and made some changes. That's awesome!
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My Mum told me that I was going to die of cancer :P

My Dad told me the other day I look much healthier C: he has learnt a little about my diet, and looks at the carb count on the nutrition information now C:
  • msclairuk
    msclairuk Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Mum: 'there's cheesecake for dessert
    Me: 'no thanks mum, I'm trying to loose weight'
    Mum: 'one little slice wont hurt, its a treat'
    Me: 'honestly no thank you, I shouldn't'
    Mum: Do you want some Ice-cream then?
    Me: 'Bloody hell mum, I said no and I'm trying to loose weight, stop asking me if I want dessert!
    Mum: 'Oh sorry, don't get arsy with me Clair, I'm only trying to be nice.
    Me: What flavour Cheesecake? :D
  • mylars
    mylars Posts: 12
    Options
    :smile:
  • mylars
    mylars Posts: 12
    Options
    Before I started really trying to loose weight and just sat around and wined about my size, I asked my grandmother who raised me if I was really that big and she said "well your not skinny." Every time I tell her how much weight I lost she says "Where'd you lose that at between your toes?" Mind you she used to be 50 lbs heavier than I am now and is still 20 lbs heavier than me, you think she would be a little more sensitive to hurting my feelings. She is constantly commenting on my weight and tries to give me old clothes that she has outgrow that are 4 sizes too big for me, when I say that they are too big, She says "you look like they will fit you." I used to be tiny. I used to be a size 4 and 120 lbs after having my first child. I gained 10 to 20 lbs after every child that I have not been able to loose. 3 more kids later and I am tired of being round. I want to be my skinny self. I look in the mirror and don't even feel like I am the same person I was 5 yrs ago. I want to be that girl again. And obviously my family doesn't like my weight gain any more than I do. I quit talking to my family about my weight because it hurts me the comments they make. I feel like a beautiful woman trapped in a round body.

I was where you are. I was also skinny before I had 4 kids. It's tough! but as long as you don't give up you will achieve your goal.
    Having 4 kids and maintaining a healthy weight is hard, I know it from experience but through time, I also learned to be patient.
    It will come as long as I'm honest to myself. Oh, it's just for today, Ill be better tomorrow. The next thing I know, tomorrow is here and I'm still round. Now I get it, self honesty and patience is the only way out. Mentally forcing myself to do what is right on a daily basis was difficult. Now that I have learned to be patient, my body response. Good luck to you, you can do it!.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My family are always supportive, and they always recognize my progress. I usually see them every 2 weeks, so I guess it's just long enough for them to notice it each time I come over!
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Although my family loves me anyway I am, they are all super supportive. They will often tweak recipes for me, or make me small treats I can freeze and have at a later date. I'm a happy girl ;)