Body pump class or free weights?

Options
I'm planning on heading back to the gym tomorrow for the first time in 3/4 months but want to incorporate some strength training in as well as my usual cardio. Would doing 2 or 3 body pump classes be just as good? I find all the men round the free weights in the gym a bit intimidating lol

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Ignore them. Lift the weights!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Body Pump is more of a weight-lifting cardio class. It's not the same as heavy lifting for strength training.
    It's more of a class to get your heart rate elevated, up your endurance, and burn fat- you may gain a very SMALL amount of muscle at first, but it won't lead to consistent building of muscle like a heavy lifting program
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Oh dear lol, I was hoping I could start with a class to ease me in and learn what to do lol
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Whatever gets you to keep going to the gym.

I personally wouldn't do body pump, but it's a whole lot better than standing around near free weights, being insecure, and losing motivation to return.

Might think about a set up PT session to get started with free weights, if you think lack of knowledge is holding you back from getting into that.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Body Pump is more of a weight-lifting cardio class. It's not the same as heavy lifting for strength training.
    It's more of a class to get your heart rate elevated, up your endurance, and burn fat- you may gain a very SMALL amount of muscle at first, but it won't lead to consistent building of muscle like a heavy lifting program

Well said. I agree.
    Oh dear lol, I was hoping I could start with a class to ease me in and learn what to do lol

If you think you want to try it then do it! Just be aware that the results will not be the same as if you were to strength train.
  • lil_lizt
    Options
    I think I may have to, shame no one I know uses my gym to give me a lesson and some sort of plan really. I'll have to see if my bank balance will stretch to a PT this week :)
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I was very intimidated my first day in the weight room! But I kept my head held up and tried to look confident and now I'm a regular. I started by looking up Jamie Eason's Live Fit, then I just looked at her routines, and they have instructional videos on correct form.
  • lil_lizt
    Options
    I'll have a look thank you :) I'm ok using all the weight machines bag that but I've never done strength training before
  • Dziasmith
    Dziasmith Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did 2 Bodypump classes over the last two weeks. It was my first time lifting any kind of weights since I was in my twenties. Yikes! I must say, just going to the classes is what got me over my initial weight intimidation. Now I am ready to start Stronglifts 5x5 and even visited the weightroom with hubby this weekend to practice some form. I go "alone" for the first time today. I say do whatever you need to to get started. I am very excited to get stronger!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Look into Starting Strength http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki, StrongLifts 5x5 and New Rules of Lifting. They have a new book called New Rules of Lifting Supercharged, which I hear is better because it's updated and you can mix and match routines.

ETA Simply Shredded. I suggested this one to a friend on here and she loves it. http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Depends on your desired physique. More than likely, free weights.
  • Salty_Sauce
    Salty_Sauce Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Body pump can be a good alternative to get back into it. It's more endurance strength training then anything but as long as you're lifting it's a great place to get started again.
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Oh how I miss body pump. The gym I'm at now doesn't have it. could you please do a class for me? I go into the wieght area with all the guys and I'm an old lady (50). As my daughters would say "long hair, don't care!!". You go girl.

Sorry, I haven't answered your question.. like the others said, as long as you do something.

Have fun

Cindy
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I like the Pump classes. True, they might not be as good as a weightlifting program for building muscles, but they are a great way to learn form and get started. I have noticed that I've built some muscle from the classes. I enjoy the pump classes so much that I started doing stronglifts 5x5 on my own. So go and have fun!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Ignore them. Lift the weights!
    +1000
  • lil_lizt
    Options
    Depends on your desired physique. More than likely, free weights.

Just tone up really. My legs are already pretty solid ( apart from my
    Inner things lol) the worst bit of me is my midsection lol.

I may get to the gym in time for body pump tomorrow and decide what I'd rather do when I get there lol
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Body Pump for sure!
  • Mjconnelly586
    Mjconnelly586 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I really like body pump! I feel like it tones me. Before body pump I did not know what a dead lift was or a clean and press. I think it is really good for beginner strength training as you can ask the instructor questions about form and how much weight to use. I think as your fitness level progresses you may want to hit the weight room solo and lift heavier weights and what not. But then you will be doing do with confidence.

Have fun!
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    FREE WEIGHTS!!! I used to do the classes and enjoyed them. There is nothing wrong with doing them and yes, you'll learn some basics, however, free weights/strength training will do more for you than the classes will do. Highly recommend! Also search bodybuilding.com Great site with videos for explanation of lifts if you are not sure what to do. Also, don't be intimidated by the dudes! Be confident! They are there for the same reason. Good luck!
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I did about 4/5 Body Pump classes before I moved on to NROLFW. I found it was great to get input on my form for squats, lifts etc so I was more confident venturing into the Free Weights section.

So I think the class has its value, but for my goal of retaining lean muscle and losing inches,, nothing can really substitute for lifting heavy, so I made the leap and started the programme.