Do you HAVE to eat back exercise calories?

Options
I did some exercise for the first time today. As a result I have some additional calories added to my allowance. Do I really have to eat them? My allowance is 1990 for the day, I haven't been able to eat this much, I have about 300 left already, might have a mini chocolate for 65 calories, but that's it for junk food. The only way to get rid of these calories quickly is to eat junk food, but I just don't want to do that. I am 294 lbs, have already lost 31lbs and though I set my weight loss target for 1 lb per week, I would be happy with a bit more - it was more for security that I set it at 1lb because I was scared of setting myself up to fail. I have tried and failed so many times before, and I just don't want to jinx it. Advice would be gratefully received

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Eat what you need and forget the others, I refuse to eat for the sake of it, I eat what I want but do not worry about not eating all of the exercise calories!
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry eat them. If you are not hungry don't eat just to eat. Good Job on the 31 pounds!! :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I did some exercise for the first time today. As a result I have some additional calories added to my allowance. Do I really have to eat them? My allowance is 1990 for the day, I haven't been able to eat this much, I have about 300 left already, might have a mini chocolate for 65 calories, but that's it for junk food. The only way to get rid of these calories quickly is to eat junk food, but I just don't want to do that. I am 294 lbs, have already lost 31lbs and though I set my weight loss target for 1 lb per week, I would be happy with a bit more - it was more for security that I set it at 1lb because I was scared of setting myself up to fail. I have tried and failed so many times before, and I just don't want to jinx it. Advice would be gratefully received

MFP gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. So, when you exercise the calorie deficit becomes even bigger. When the deficit is too big you "risk" losing muscle+fat....instead of just fat.

There are considerations though........calorie burn "guesstimates" that machines & MFP provide are often generous. Many people over-ride the calorie burns given & use a percent (say 60%).

Another consideration.....there are people who have very aggressive weekly weight loss goals...and then exercise like crazy. If this is you, then try to incorporate healthy calorie dense foods. Nuts, nut butters, seeds, avocado, cheese ...small servings go a long way.

Another consideration is ......how close you are to goal. The closer you are, the less reserves your body has. Very obese people are protected from muscle loss initially.....even when they are on super low calories (Dr. supervised plans).

So ....is it important to you to preserve muscle? are you close to goal? are your calorie burns more accurate (HRM)? ....only you can decide.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I never eat back exercise, never have, been in maintenance for over 2 years now and I'm still alive. You have a lot to lose so you don't really need to look for extra calories.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You don't *have* to, but consider this:

You signed up for MFP, thinking "this program will help me lose weight!"

This program is set up in a way that gives you an automatic calorie deficit, and does not factor in physical activity. Therefore, when you do physical activity, you get credit for those calories in order to make sure your deficit doesn't get too big.

If you don't like that, you need to find a different program. This program works by eating back your exercise calories.
  • tjah32
    tjah32 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat healthy, nutrient dense stuff, just eat what you're hungry for. It'll be a good habit to get into, to listen to what you body is telling you you need, while you keep track to make sure you don't go over, so that hopefully by the time you reach your goal you'll be used to listening to your body and won't gain it back
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options

This program is set up in a way that gives you an automatic calorie deficit, and does not factor in physical activity. Therefore, when you do physical activity, you get credit for those calories in order to make sure your deficit doesn't get too big.

If you don't like that, you need to find a different program. This program works by eating back your exercise calories.

The rules police "need to find a different program" sounds a bit strong! Its a tool like any other use what suits and ignore what doesn't.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry eat them. If you are not hungry don't eat just to eat. Good Job on the 31 pounds!! :)

This. I agree with what was also said about a lot on the guesstimates overestimating the calories burned for exercises. Unless you used a heart rate monitor and are really confident in the extra calories from exercise, I wouldn't be concerned about eating back all the exercise calories. If you're really hungry and have the extra calories, then try to make a healthy choice and go ahead and use them.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

The rules police "need to find a different program" sounds a bit strong! Its a tool like any other use what suits and ignore what doesn't.

Not trying to be the "rules police" but MFP is designed to work in a certain way. I'm just a person that thinks that when you utilize a tool, doing so with the maximum amount of effort and knowledge is beneficial and produces superior results.

Having too large of a calorie deficit can have adverse effects (lowered maintenance calorie goal, for example).
  • steveocy1
    steveocy1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

At 294 lbs I wouldn't worry too much about eating back your exercise calories. If you find you are hungry or lack energy from the extra exercise you could eat some back. At your current weight a deficit of 1lb a week is a slow loss. Losing 2lbs a week wouldn't be considered excessive in any way. You can treat your current 1 lb a week through nutrition and any exercise is a bonus. When I was significantly heavier I never ate back any of my exercise but as I have gotten close to my goals I have found that I do need eat back most of the exercise or I have no energy.

Maintain a deficit, eat back exercise if your body is giving you signs that you are not getting enough. Re-evaluate as you get leaner. Continue your great work! You have already come far!

--steveo
  • jessicameadsstephens
    Options
    I generally dont eat my exercise calories. I just figure if I have a really bad day and cant help it then its helpful to have them there just in case. I would just keep doing what your doing and I believe you will see bigger losses. Good luck to you!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you're already eating a reasonable amount, aren't hungry, and have energy for exercise, don't worry about eating them back.
  • friggie
    friggie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My own experience is this, if I have a really big calorie burn then I eat back about half the calories but that is because I am usually hungrier after working out hard. On my rest days I try to get right about my range. When my workout is a smaller calorie burn I don't usually eat my calories back.
    This seems to work for me so far. Big thing I find to is water, I drink a lot of water during the day.
    Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have an HRM and I measure and weight everything, but even so, I wouldn't think of eating all the exercise calories back. My thinking is what if for some reason something's off in my measurements. I'd rather err on the side of caution. When I first started, too, my deficit wasn't near as many calories, either, so if it were me, I wouldn't eat any of the extras. <-- this is all just my personal experience and opinion. You've lost 31lbs doing what you've been doing, so that's terrific! Keep at it. :D
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, nut butters, whole fat dairy, greek yogurt, ice cream, good oils and fats like olive oil or avocado oil are really easy ways to up your calories without eating a ton. Go to starbucks and get a sugar free latte with whip and there's a bunch of calories right there!

Edited because I just realized I forgot to include the actual question in my response:

If I do a lot of exercise and I'm still far away from my goal for the day I do eat back my exercise cals. If I'm already at goal and I just go for a walk or do some light cardio I don't worry about eating them back, or I eat back half. As long as you don't feel hungry or fatigued/low energy I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I think the answer also depends on your exercise. The more vigorous it was, the bigger the deficit for the day and I think the generally accepted deficit goal is 500 Calories per day. Eat back some if you are hungry but definitely eat all your daily base goal number. You need fuel. I don't usually eat mine, but like you my base is well above 1200 per day and my estimated burn is only 200-300. I allow myself to have more on fitness days because I burned more but only if its because of hunger.

Others have said it too, as you get leaner and your muscle more efficient then eating back the calories becomes more important. The ultimate goal is to eat to live- enough that you meet your bodies energy needs but not so much you store. Evaluate your numbers every 10 lbs lost or so to make sure your needs haven't changed.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I work out just so I get to eat more.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You have a lot to lose so you don't really need to look for extra calories.

:huh:
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

MFP gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. So, when you exercise the calorie deficit becomes even bigger. When the deficit is too big you "risk" losing muscle+fat....instead of just fat.

There are considerations though........calorie burn "guesstimates" that machines & MFP provide are often generous. Many people over-ride the calorie burns given & use a percent (say 60%).

Another consideration.....there are people who have very aggressive weekly weight loss goals...and then exercise like crazy. If this is you, then try to incorporate healthy calorie dense foods. Nuts, nut butters, seeds, avocado, cheese ...small servings go a long way.

Another consideration is ......how close you are to goal. The closer you are, the less reserves your body has. Very obese people are protected from muscle loss initially.....even when they are on super low calories (Dr. supervised plans).

So ....is it important to you to preserve muscle? are you close to goal? are your calorie burns more accurate (HRM)? ....only you can decide.

I second this