Fat Acceptance (HAES)

Options
1235»

Replies

• LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    That tumblr site... I can relate to it in many ways. You most definitely get treated differently in a negative way when you're fat... But jeeze, calling it thin privilege? That's just as awful in my opinion. As if thin people don't have problems? I think you shoudl love your self no matter what. But that doesn't mean blaming someone else for you being fat or using it as an excuse to hate other people.

I digress. I think a lot of this tumblr page is people being pissy and using their obesity as an excuse for a hundred different things and blaming other people for forcing them to feel the way they do and hating on thin people.
    That's not the way it should be. The page actually makes me kind of mad.

The viewpoints on there... Are ridiculous. I am fat. I've dealt with most of those issues! But I don't consider it "thin privilege"... I consider it me being lazy and not working towards getting healthier.

One of them "thin privilege is not having to switch between 5 different desks so I can find the one that doesn't pinch too much."

Been there. But dooo something about it.... /rant
  • Eaving1
    Eaving1 Posts: 40
    Options
    Mmm yeah it'd definately be easier to lose weight with better labelling. For example, the Subway Roast beef sub is advertised as 1090kj for a 6-inch, when in reality its almost double if you have anything BUT roast beef on it.

Bread, meat, and veggies is what the calorie count is for. Adding cheese and condiments changes that. If you know this, what is the issue?

I had thought that was the average for condiments/ cheese as well lol
  • sandwitchrs
    Options
    MY PERSONAL OPINION would be no one can be healthy at EVERY size. There is a possibility that someone can be healthy at a normal weight or even a bit overweight, but when you start mentioning people who are obese, morbidly obese, or even under weight then those can present some issues.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    What a load of bollocks :laugh:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'd have to read the whole idea. If it emphasizes cardiovascular health, improved musculoskeletal function, normal lab values, and long term cognitive maintenance at any size then hell yeah I'm all for it. If it doesnt emphasize any true physiological health then I wouldnt support.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    HAES stands for "Health At Every Size". It is an approach to health that does not pursue the goal of a particular body weight, but rather concentrates on what health benefits and improvements can practically be achieved for individuals. Typically, following HAES includes size acceptance, listening to internal body signals and taking care of the body with nutritious varied eating and enjoyable exercise.

Please note that HAES is not a guarantee, but an approach. It does not assert that everyone is healthy at any size (a popular misconception), but supports the goal of health, for bodies for all sizes.

HAES has gained popularity in the last few years within the size acceptance movement as an alternative to dieting for larger people. It is promoted by a wide variety of people (including researchers and health care professionals) who have looked at the scientific literature and seen how the evidence supports a body-size-neutral approach to health. HAES is an approach that anyone can take, regardless of their size. Society's relentless promotion of an "ideal" body shape affects everyone, and thus everyone can benefit from an approach to health that is size-accepting.

This is from their website. It doesn't appear to maintain that we should embrace/ encourage being fat. Seems more like they are encouraging people to not rely solely on BMI & so forth. They also run work shops fronted by nutritionalists.

Thank you. The movement is more about accepting the limits of yourself and who you are RIGHT now, rather than starving yourself to be like the girls/boys on the magazines. It's about loving yourself.

if this is the movement then i support
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The "Thin Priviledge" really rustles my jimmies. I'm thin, very thin, and yet I'm still waiting for the world to revolve around me. Brad Pitt has yet to ask me on a date, the President has yet to dedicate a national holiday to my petite figure, and my sponsoring manager has yet to hand me his job. *sigh* The struggle is real.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I accept the fact that I have fat. I don't particularly care about other peoples fat. Or lack thereof.