net carbs vs carbs? atkins gone wrong

Options
2»

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You don't know if her 3 pounds is water weight..

Yes, i do know.

It is physically impossible to loss that much as fat, in that short a period of time, short of using a scalpel. This is a very well understood phenomenon of low-carbing.

You're one of my MFP forum heroes. :drinker:
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I have to eat low carb because I have diabetes. But I don't go TOO low. Low carb does make you lose weight but staying on it for the rest of your life may be difficult at best. Committing yourself to eating 20g of carbs forever is quite a commitment and if you can do it, I applaud you. But I allow myself between 90 and 100g a day on average. Keeps my blood sugar within parameters and you still lose weight. I don't use net carbs counts because that just tends to make me eat more carbs. :)

20 net carbs is only for the first 2 weeks to get your body into ketosis. After that you are supposed to gradually increase your net carb intake until you stop loosing weight. Then go back down 5 -10 net carbs so you slowly loose a bit per week. Then once you are at your goal you increase by 10 net carbs a week until you can stay at your goal.

There are so many people here who know nothing about the Atkins Lifestyle but continue to bash it. Either read the entire book or don't say anything. Also do not just eat low carb and say you are on Atkins because that's not it...

MFP is great for tracking net carbs. fat and protein. I just ignore calories.

As far as sticking to it for life, maybe I have more willpower than you. Maybe I love my kids enough to stay away from candy, pepsi, and other poisons.

I eat bread, pasta, pizza, whatever I want to. I just have to stay within my carb limitations or go low for a few days to lose what I gained.

Remember this lifestyle was developed and perfected by a doctor.

Wow, really? Anyone who eats candy or drinks a Pepsi doesn't love their kids as much as you do?

You're really doing a lot there to dispel the notion that people on low carb diets are snobs who push their lifestyle on others.
  • lauraoneill43
    Options
    I actually just made this post to ask for some advice, didntexpect so much critism espically as were all in the same boat :/ since when was being healthy a competition?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Because some how your reponse was so much more constructive?

You don't know if her 3 pounds is water weight, but you implied that her weight loss didn't matter. And it does.

A critical distinction needs to be made between "imply" and "infer." What you're inferring from damir's comment is that "weight loss didn't matter." Damir didn't imply that.

But congratulations on your weight loss! 90s lbs lost with a calorie deficit, where you also happened to be limiting carbs, is something else!
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You need to join Low carb or Keto forums. I would refrain from posting on the main forums as you'll get a lot of non-friendly responses and lots of big headed opinions regarding low carbs.

As far as counting carbs. You need to count and log net carbs.

Exactly. Net carbs are your fibers, which are very important!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Net carbs are your fibers, which are very important!

Net carbs = US carbohydrates minus fiber so they are not fiber they're the opposite - the carbohydrates that aren't fiber.

The OP doesn't have this problem as her labelling regime is different.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I have to eat low carb because I have diabetes. But I don't go TOO low. Low carb does make you lose weight but staying on it for the rest of your life may be difficult at best. Committing yourself to eating 20g of carbs forever is quite a commitment and if you can do it, I applaud you. But I allow myself between 90 and 100g a day on average. Keeps my blood sugar within parameters and you still lose weight. I don't use net carbs counts because that just tends to make me eat more carbs. :)

20 net carbs is only for the first 2 weeks to get your body into ketosis. After that you are supposed to gradually increase your net carb intake until you stop loosing weight. Then go back down 5 -10 net carbs so you slowly loose a bit per week. Then once you are at your goal you increase by 10 net carbs a week until you can stay at your goal.

There are so many people here who know nothing about the Atkins Lifestyle but continue to bash it. Either read the entire book or don't say anything. Also do not just eat low carb and say you are on Atkins because that's not it...

As far as sticking to it for life, maybe I have more willpower than you. Maybe I love my kids enough to stay away from candy, pepsi, and other poisons.

I eat bread, pasta, pizza, whatever I want to. I just have to stay within my carb limitations or go low for a few days to lose what I gained.

Wow, really? Anyone who eats candy or drinks a Pepsi doesn't love their kids as much as you do?

You're really doing a lot there to dispel the notion that people on low carb diets are snobs who push their lifestyle on others.
    I like doing low carb, it works for me and I'm comfortable with it.

Others, it won't work or they have difficulty sticking to it and that's fine.

The thing I will agree with though are people who assume what Atkins is and say things like "I could never live off of only 20 grams of carbs forever". That's incorrect. Its not forever. I'm really sick of uneducated people saying things like that and try to tell me that my lifestyle is impossible.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

The thing I will agree with though are people who assume what Atkins is and say things like "I could never live off of only 20 grams of carbs forever". That's incorrect. Its not forever. I'm really sick of uneducated people saying things like that and try to tell me that my lifestyle is impossible.

And that gives pp the right to insult the parenting skills and question the love and commitment of parents who don't eat like you and him? Don't you get it? Responses like that make the poster just like the people you are all so sick of and angry with. I did not say jack**** about your/his lifestyle, but he insulted and judged me with that post. Pot/kettle and all that. That was my only point.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Potentially, huge difference.

What if all those carbs is fiber to provide recommended to the body?

There's 20 carbs your body doesn't actually get to use.

All I can say is, don't do a bunch of cardio, unless really slow and easy. If you are going to follow it, read up on exercise recommendations too and follow that.

Be prepared for great water weight drop as your storage of glucose drops. And that is Lean Body Mass, and that is metabolism, so that instantly lowers too.

Losing water weight will not lower your lean body mass, nor slow your metabolism.

Losing water weight associated with stored glucose, as I was specific with, is NOT fat mass, therefore it is NON-fat mass, which is the same as Lean Body Mass.

Only 2 distinctions in body composition when it comes to metabolism, fat mass and fat-free mass (LBM).

LBM has the largest effect on metabolism, so much so fat mass can be ignored, unless extremely obese.
    5 organs of the LBM have the biggest impact on metabolism. Liver with glucose stores and attached water is one of them and the process done on supplying that to the blood.
    Muscle comes down the line.
    Of the muscle metabolism, dealing with glucose stores and associated water attached is majority of metabolism. Glucose used for energy, water removed from cell and dealt with.

You stop storing a bunch of glucose because of low carb diet, your body no longer is dealing with a bunch of water it would otherwise, less energy spent on that, lower metabolism.

You can look up the estimates based on how much muscle you think you have, can range from 100-300 calories daily. Of course if only 100, probably didn't lose much water weight either as must not have much storage.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Maybe I love my kids enough to stay away from candy, pepsi, and other poisons.

It's lucky that I don't love my kid at all then and can enjoy my candy. I'm not a soda fan, though.

I tend to avoid ingesting poison, though.
  • jaycbrf4
    Options

Thanks for your input, very informative on the subject!
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options

I'm not a diabetic, but I agree with all of this. I personally feel better when I limit my carbs but I don't go crazy with it. Too low and I feel yucky and can't poop. I prefer to keep my carbs between 50 and 75g a day and usually do. Sometimes I creep closer to 100 but never go over that.

If you're going to do atkins, subtract your fiber and use net carbs.
  • jaycbrf4
    Options

I agree 100%. Not a single person here has read the book or understands the diet but has plenty to say about it. Of course their way is the only way!
  • kowajenn
    Options

I agree 100%. Not a single person here has read the book or understands the diet but has plenty to say about it. Of course their way is the only way!

I've read the book and done Atkins. Don't assume.
  • lauraoneill43
    Options
    How many carbs should you limit urself to to stay in ketosis?
  • kowajenn
    Options
    How many carbs should you limit urself to to stay in ketosis?

After induction, you are supposed to start adding carbs. Honestly, when I did Atkins (it's been a few years) I was on a variety of Atkins message boards and almost everyone stuck with induction for much longer than 2 weeks. I stayed on induction for months. Lost a lot of weight but was so bored with it.

Anyway, I think I topped out at about 45 net carbs or so. Everyone is different.
  • RobWilson107
    RobWilson107 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Net Carbs are a made up equation promulgated by the diet industry to sell phony low carb food-like items.....The only thing that fiber does is slow the absorption of the glucose, it doesnt stop it......So, use your total carbs or you'll have trouble getting into ketosis and burning fat for fuel.....Fiber is another gimmick made up by big agribusiness as well, look it up......
  • lauraoneill43
    Options
    I plan to stay on induction for a while, 12stone and aim to get to atleast 9stone
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Holy COW! My humble apologies for not being an Atkins expert. But there ARE people out there that do try to stick to 20g of carbs a day FOREVER. I would never try to push anything on anyone. As I said, if someone can limit their carbs that drastically, you go! As for the candy and Pepsi poison, all I can do is :laugh: . I can't remember the last time I had a Pepsi and although I do , occasionally indulge in a little sugar free candy, I can''t say my kids feel unloved as a result. Maybe someone should write a book on THAT.
  • cduell
    cduell Posts: 5
    Options
    Reading all the posts, let's keep it simple:

Total Carbs-Fiber=Net Carbs (should be 20 or under for phase I)

Good luck! One slice of bread won't kill you. Love the comment that one slice of bread wouldn't stall a chipmunk! I have found that the real killer is sugar.