How is this even possible? Please help me understand.

2»

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    I'm losing weight and have been eating about 2,000 calories a day. Exercise is amazing!
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Well your not gaining weight because you're working out 2 hours a day. Lol

^^^ This
  • roorock
    roorock Posts: 2 Member
    Grab a heart rate monitor for Polar. Finding that is more accurate than anything on those machines! There is no way that you are only burning 400 calories in 2 hours. For example, my 50 minute walk today (all of 3.5 miles) was 432 calories with my Heart Rate monitor. I think a post above is right on target. You are doing too much. Be easy on yourself!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    I don't think you really understand calories and TDEE/BMR and have a healthy relationship with food. Please see a professional.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    The reason I have been exercising so much is because I don't psychically "feel" like I have worked out if I only do say 60 minutes. Plus the elliptical says I only burn 400 calories in 2 hours. I feel like that's a bit low but I don't know whether to trust that it is actually more than that. I know machines can be off but I've been afraid that I'm burning even LESS than what it says which in turn, makes me go even longer. Yes, it is a fear of "getting fat".

Get a HRM to get better accuracy you can not go by mfp's number or the machines. And stop over exercising it sounds like you may need some help with this if an hour is not enough.
  • Increase the resistance. Cardio doesn't burn as much fat because it eats away at your muscle a little. Working out on the elliptical with high resistance will help you build some muscle AND increase calorie burn by a significant amount.
  • Rien5
    Rien5 Posts: 51 Member
    Please seek help for exercise bulimia. If you eat under 1200 calories with 2 or more hours of exercise you could be setting yourself up for major problems in the future.
  • I think it could be two reasons. First you are doing the exact same exercise everyday so your body has become accustomed to it . Second you are not taking in enough calories for the amount of work you are putting out. I agree with trying to get into a group program. There are lots of tri-athletes and endurance athletes who do this type of work. However they know how to fuel their bodies for the grueling work they do. You could also consult a personal trainer. They have the experience and expertise that can be very helpful to you. I am no expert, but I hope this helps. Good luck.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    I dont try to exercise too much which i know i cant sustain forever. End result would be that i eat more now because i am burning so many calories, get used to it and at some point if i stop exercising for whatever reasons, i am going to pile on weight with the eating habits. Keep everything within healthy limits that you can sustain for life.

Good luck!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Increase the resistance. Cardio doesn't burn as much fat because it eats away at your muscle a little. Working out on the elliptical with high resistance will help you build some muscle AND increase calorie burn by a significant amount.

wtf?

She doesn't need to burn more calories.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    You have been eating so much because you have been vastly under-nourishing yourself for months. With as much time as you are spending exercising, you are still eating at a deficit. That is why you aren't gaining. You probably should be eating even more than that. Sustained weight loss is more important than rapid weight loss.
  • I understand where you are coming from OP. Compulsive overexercise is addictive! The combination of endorphins and the social sanction you get probably don't help (I overexercise and all I see on my wall is 'well done' etc. Nice and rewarding but it can drive this behaviour).
    A few things.
    One, if you can do 165 minutes on the elliptical then I suspect your body is accustomed to it, and the settings are quite low impact so your calorie burn is low. I'd halve the time spent and increase the resistance.
    Secondly, I'd do other forms of exercise to challenge my body a bit: running, cycling, weight training, interval training etc.
    Thirdly for the amount of exercise you are doing 1900 is nothing. I'd be losing on 1900 and I don't exercise anywhere near as much as you do. You could eat a lot more and not gain weight.
    As for what you choose to eat...it brings me lastly to my final point:
    Your 'loss of self control' is because you've been starving your body for so long. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Still if you eat enough, your body should be able to get the nutrients it needs. Try to focus on one thing, for example - aim to eat 100g of protein a day, or five servings of vegetables a day, then you can fill the rest of the day with your cravings and all the things you deprived yourself of for so long.