How do you treat your depression?? Lets Share!!!

Options

Replies

• Srarojas
    Srarojas Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy weights, put them down and repeat over and over lol. Seriously, weight lifting for an hour always makes me feel powerful and in control of any problem.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I'm on 40mg paxil, weening off slowly.

Also using essential oils for treatment, as well as meditate and yoga. Works like a champ. Also diet (gluten free) and brisk walks are helping as well, I try walking during normal sunlight, to try and get my Vitamin D therapy in, with the days getting shorter and all we all need some sunlight to boost our mood.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I cut wheat/gluten out of my diet for digestive reasons and found my depression and anxiety cured. I struggled with depression from around the age of 11 or 12 and it was totally diet related. I only have bouts of either when I screw up my diet or someone glutens me. Its not even the weirdest symptom that cutting gluten from my diet cured. :noway:
  • tweetiejovi
    tweetiejovi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I try motivatg myself even when its the hardest thing ever and bananas I hear are good so try to have 2 for breakfast everyday
  • emjay6x3
    emjay6x3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm on meds. I also find that working out definitely boosts the amount of happier feelings I experience. It's changing my habits from "treating" my depression with food that is the difficulty... because that's what I would previously say I was "treating" it with.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I medicated it. Now that I'm off the meds (over a year now!) I work out, and complain lol. I don't let things fester, I get it out and get over it. Then I go distract myself, usually with shopping, a drive or a workout.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I'm on meds, but have been making an effort to wean myself off for a few months now. I've discovered beating the crap out of a punching bag and yoga really helps.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I hear a handful of walnuts can cure depression!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't know if what I've been experiencing lately is "depression" but I've been grumpy and sad for no reason much more often than before. I thought it was stress related but a major source of stress is now gone and I still feel this way often. I've been trying to get more sun, and starting taking Saint John's Wart. Exercise also but that's not new.
  • Takianna
    Takianna Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find if I exercise regularly it keeps my depression (chronic) under control. Eating or shopping both make it worse cos they give me something else to feel bad about.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I have stopped my anti-depressant in the last month and now keep happy and motivated by doing exercise at the gym.

Exercise does just as good a job at keeping the depression away. Maybe even better than some pill.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Swisse brand MOOD tablets. Plus some St Johns Wort.

IF not for those 2 little tablets every day I would be dead.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Some of these answers show me that many of you have not experienced depression. That is a very good thing. For those that have, however, exercise does help, but there is no shame in getting medication. If you had a heart condition or diabetes, you would take your medication, wouldn't you?

Clinical depression is an illness of the brain - not the mind.

Who are you to hold claim to objective truth in the matter of depression? You don't know any of us, and assuming people who don't get treated with pills don't have depression is offensive. I'm not going to get into my background, but I assure you I had clinical depression - Which I treated through sheer power of Mind, after refusing meds for many years, even while undergoing inpatient rehabilitation. I am not a special snowflake; We all have this power, and you are severely underestimating the power of the human mind.

I know you weren't talking to me, but I saw the post and felt the need to reply. There is nothing wrong with taking meds either, if it works for you, I'm glad it makes you happy. But it's certainly not necessary. I could get into the FDA, about how America and the UK are some of the only places in the world where they are allowed to advertise drugs, but I won't.

Easy, because clinical depression is an actual, physical, scientific, spongey-gray-bouncy-brain-quantifiable-thing. As in, it affects certain areas of the brain, certain neurotransmitters and neuroreceptors that fail to fire properly because of actual, physical misfiring in the brain.

Situational depression looks and acts differently in the brain than clinical depression. Quite physically, on an MRA scan, it acts differently. So yes, there IS an objective type of depression out there and THAT is what Contrarian was talking about.

Whatever your story is - if you were able to change it using sheer willpower, than whatever chemicals and transmitters were or were not going wonky at the time were not the result of genetic failure (as clinical depression is.) It was something else entirely.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Some of these answers show me that many of you have not experienced depression. That is a very good thing. For those that have, however, exercise does help, but there is no shame in getting medication. If you had a heart condition or diabetes, you would take your medication, wouldn't you?

Who are you to hold claim to objective truth in the matter of depression? You don't know any of us, and assuming people who don't get treated with pills don't have depression is offensive. I'm not going to get into my background, but I assure you I had clinical depression - Which I treated through sheer power of Mind, after refusing meds for many years, even while undergoing inpatient rehabilitation. I am not a special snowflake; We all have this power, and you are severely underestimating the power of the human mind.

I know you weren't talking to me, but I saw the post and felt the need to reply. There is nothing wrong with taking meds either, if it works for you, I'm glad it makes you happy. But it's certainly not necessary. I could get into the FDA, about how America and the UK are some of the only places in the world where they are allowed to advertise drugs, but I won't.

Thank you for this answer. That person's response rubbed me the wrong way as well. I have gone the medication route and at this point in my life, there is a reason why taking medication is not an option. I don't always have a hard time managing without medication, but this past week in particular has been pretty tough. I could feel myself slipping away and somehow, though it took clawing and biting, I was able to regain a fairly good mental place, for the time being at least.
    I appreciate the thoughtful answers people have posted here. Whether you are only sharing ideas on how to relieve stress or improve a slightly saddened mood or you have methods that have helped you out of deep depression I am thankful for you sharing your experience in the hopes that it might help someone else.
  • trudijoy
    Options

Thank you for this answer. That person's response rubbed me the wrong way as well. I have gone the medication route and at this point in my life, there is a reason why taking medication is not an option. I don't always have a hard time managing without medication, but this past week in particular has been pretty tough. I could feel myself slipping away and somehow, though it took clawing and biting, I was able to regain a fairly good mental place, for the time being at least.
    I appreciate the thoughtful answers people have posted here. Whether you are only sharing ideas on how to relieve stress or improve a slightly saddened mood or you have methods that have helped you out of deep depression I am thankful for you sharing your experience in the hopes that it might help someone else.

I took the meds and regretted it immensely. At the time it was right but if I was ever to drown in the black pool again I'd look to alternatives.
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options

Easy, because clinical depression is an actual, physical, scientific, spongey-gray-bouncy-brain-quantifiable-thing. As in, it affects certain areas of the brain, certain neurotransmitters and neurocepters that fail to fire properly because of actual, physical miswiring in the brain.

Situational depression looks and acts differently in the brain than clinical depression. Quite physically, on an MRA scan, it acts differently. So yes, there IS an objective type of depression out there and THAT is what Contrarian was talking about.

Whatever your story is - if you were able to change it using sheer willpower, than whatever chemicals and transmittors were or were not going wonky at the time were not the result of genetic failure (as clinical depression is.) It was something else entirely.

I was diagnosed with depression by a clinical psychologist. I attempted suicide... many times, and almost succeeded. I cut myself, dressed in black, and hated being a human being. I felt like an alien. I spent 11 months in in-patient rehabilitation. I spent 2 weeks in another in-patient rehabilitation after my mother found my suicide note and they called the ambulance. I was coming off drugs when they took me. I avoided people, because I felt unworthy of love and affection. I've held a shotgun to my head, alone, many times - Loaded with buckshots. This period lasted 6 straight years.

I ask you again - What, WHAT, makes you think you are certified to tell people they don't have clinical depression because they don't use drugs to cure it? Are you more knowledgeable than ALL of the psychologists, sociologists, and physicians I visited throughout that period? I tell you what- I might just be offended if I didn't realize being offended is a useless emotion. My friend, by all accounts, I had objective, clinical, diagnosed depression. My brain wasn't acting right, and now it is! And I didn't use drugs.

Also, I didn't say I changed it using sheer willpower, I changed it by investigating my conscious (and unconscious) self. My mind. I meditated, I did yoga, I pushed myself to sheer physical exhaustion doing martial arts, I put myself in uncomfortable situations, and I changed my eating habits.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

I was diagnosed with depression by a clinical psychologist. I attempted suicide... many times, and almost succeeded. I cut myself, dressed in black, and hated being a human being. I felt like an alien. I spent 11 months in in-patient rehabilitation. I spent 2 weeks in another in-patient rehabilitation after my mother found my suicide note and they called the ambulance. I was coming off drugs when they took me. I avoided people, because I felt unworthy of love and affection. I've held a shotgun to my head, alone, many times - Loaded with buckshots. This period lasted 6 straight years.

I ask you again - What, WHAT, makes you think you are certified to tell people they don't have clinical depression because they don't use drugs to cure it? Are you more knowledgeable than ALL of the psychologists, sociologists, and physicians I visited throughout that period? I tell you what- I might just be offended if I didn't realize being offended is a useless emotion. My friend, by all accounts, I had objective, clinical, diagnosed depression. My brain wasn't acting right, and now it is! And I didn't use drugs.

Also, I didn't say I changed it using sheer willpower, I changed it by investigating my conscious self. My mind. I meditated, I did yoga, I pushed myself to sheer physical exhaustion doing martial arts, I put myself in uncomfortable situations, and I changed my eating habits.

"Investigating my conscience self, my mind". That sort of sounds like you used sheer willpower. So tell me how that's not willpower?

Simply because one is NOT on drugs doesn't mean you're not depressed. But IF your depression can be chased away with a bath, a walk in the park, a good book - that's not clinical depression. Or at certainly least, if that's ALL it takes to chase away the blues.

Depression is more than a sad affect for a few days or even few months at a time. It persists when there are no outer circumstances that would justify it and it persists when all other normal avenues of changing your emotions have failed. This is why people seek therapy - because nothing they are doing is working.

You may be knowledgeable. And so am I. If you have researched your condition, you would already know what I've said above.

Why did you not know that?
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options

Also, I didn't say I changed it using sheer willpower, I changed it by investigating my conscious self. My mind. I meditated, I did yoga, I pushed myself to sheer physical exhaustion doing martial arts, I put myself in uncomfortable situations, and I changed my eating habits.

"Investigating my conscience self, my mind". That sort of sounds like you used sheer willpower. So tell me how that's not willpower?

Simply because one is NOT on drugs doesn't mean you're not depressed. But IF your depression can be chased away with a bath, a walk in the park, a good book - that's not clinical depression. Or at certainly least, if that's ALL it takes to chase away the blues.

Depression is more than a sad affect for a few days or even few months at a time. It persists when there are no outer circumstances that would justify it and it persists when all other normal avenues of changing your emotions have failed. This is why people seek therapy - because nothing they are doing is working.

You may be knowledgeable. And so am I. If you have researched your condition, you would already know what I've said above.

Why did you not know that?

Researched my condition? I lived with it for 6 straight years. This is not a few days or a few months. It really sounds like you are completely disregarding my personal experiences as false for no reason other than my experiences differ from yours. Hey, if I didn't experience it, it must not be true! Said every *kitten* and bigot, ever.

Talking about whether it's willpower or not is a logical fallacy, it's called a straw man argument, so I won't address it. Bad form.

I think I'm done with this conversation though. I wish you all the best.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

Researched my condition? I lived with it for 6 straight years. This is not a few days or a few months. It really sounds like you are completely disregarding my personal experiences as false for no reason other than my experiences differ from yours. Hey, if I didn't experience it, it must not be true! Said every *kitten* and bigot, ever.

Talking about whether it's willpower or not is a logical fallacy, it's called a straw man argument, so I won't address it. Bad form.

I think I'm done with this conversation though. I wish you all the best.

And I've lived with my condition for 32 years. I think we might be even on that scale. Just a touch, I daresay.

I have in no way disregarded your experience - only those who exclaim a bath makes them not depressed. I don't recall you saying anything like that. You took a statement that someone else said (that I agreed with), ran with it as if they were calling you out personally (they weren't) and then further acted as if I were calling you out.

I disagree with your definition of depression. Science likely would as well.

But in no instance did I disrespect your experience. If you'd like to find your way out of this conversation, please do so. You have a life to attend to, as do I.
  • trudijoy
    Options
    this thread reminds me of one of the biggest issues with depression: most people who have suffered feel very alone and like noone understands them.

Hopefully lots of people sharing like this can only be of use.