Do Shirataki noodles gross you out?

Options
2»

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I make my own pasta with cauliflower. Its real easy. you get some fresh cauliflower, grind it with some water. Then make it whatever shape you like. Dry it in the sun. Leave it there for a long while. In the meanwhile you go to the store and get some real pasta and use them. Let the cauliflower noodles get a nice tan in the sun. Cook the real pasta. Enjoy the real pasta.

Oh god...Cauliflower shouldn't be used for anything other than cauliflower, I hate those damn cauliflower substitute recipes, gross!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    shirataki noodles are the one time cauliflower is an acceptable replacement. ugh.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I usually threw them in with some vegetables just to make it more filling. I didn't think they really had a taste.

I didn't like spending 3 dollars for a handful of noodles though. Seems expensive when I can get 8 times the amount of regular pasta for 1 dollar.
  • Nimnyn
    Nimnyn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I get the soy ones, as that's all that's available in my area. I rinse them well, and have never had any issues with smell or anything. I like to fry them with butter, add lots of chopped fresh spinach, and cpl of tbsp of heavy cream, parmesan, garlic and basil. Super delicious :)
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I make my own pasta with cauliflower. Its real easy. you get some fresh cauliflower, grind it with some water. Then make it whatever shape you like. Dry it in the sun. Leave it there for a long while.

And if I leave it out there long enough, the crows will get it and the slugs will finish off the crumbs so I won't have to eat it at all! A diabolically excellent plan, taunto.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I have no desire to try any UN-pastas. If it was the last food on earth and I was starving... maybe.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I make my own pasta with cauliflower. Its real easy. you get some fresh cauliflower, grind it with some water. Then make it whatever shape you like. Dry it in the sun. Leave it there for a long while. In the meanwhile you go to the store and get some real pasta and use them. Let the cauliflower noodles get a nice tan in the sun. Cook the real pasta. Enjoy the real pasta.

Oh god...Cauliflower shouldn't be used for anything other than cauliflower, I hate those damn cauliflower substitute recipes, gross!

Read the recipe all the way through ... I won't spoil the surprise ending for you.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Do they smell like Shirataki noodles??? :sick:

Do they? I usually can't get past the smell to eat them...I used them once in a casserole and had to throw the whole thing out! I like spaghetti squash as a sub.

Did you rinse them? That is the mistake most people have done. The water they sit in is what stops them drying out, you do not keep it. Rinse them.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    nope i love them ;-; obviously not on their own but you get the idea
  • war3rd
    war3rd Posts: 4
    Options
    They don't gross me out, but don't interest me in the slightest either.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I make my own pasta out of bacon.

Brilliant.
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    Nope, I also love them. I had some for dinner tonight with chicken and sauce mmmmm I like them for what they are, I don't expect them to taste exactly like wheat pasta but on low carb days they can be awesome
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-19212-1382813627-10.gif
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Just thinking about shirataki noodles makes me nauseated. I've done fine with occasional and portioned quantities of high quality whole wheat pasta, preferably with a good pesto, some chicken and some walnuts.
  • sheilsun
    Options
    Hi and to Pinkraynedrop,
    It's true, there is a smell when you open a package of shirataki noodles, I like the Miralce Noodle brand. Just rinse real well and boil for about one or two minutes and this eliminates the smell. There are no fish products in them. Then I add them to casseroles, soups, or combine with lots of favorite sauces, crushed tomatoes, garlic and onion, broccolli and mushrooms. Of course you can add chicken and other proteins for a complete delcious quick lunch or dinner. I love their recipes too on their Facebook page.
  • sheilsun
    Options
    Hi and to Pinkraynedrop,
    It's true, there is a smell when you open a package of shirataki noodles, I like the Miralce Noodle brand. Just rinse real well and boil for about one or two minutes and this eliminates the smell. There are no fish products in them. Then I add them to casseroles, soups, or combine with lots of favorite sauces, crushed tomatoes, garlic and onion, broccolli and mushrooms. Of course you can add chicken and other proteins for a complete delcious quick lunch or dinner. I love their recipes too on their Facebook page.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I don't understand when people say they smell bad or smell like fish. Mine never had any smell, taste just fine. Maybe it's the brand?
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I find them to be a good noodle replacement on days where I really want pasta but can't afford the calories. I didn't try them expecting them to taste like regular noodles, I figured they would be a bit rubbery, and they were, but I made Hungry Girl's Girl-Fredo with chicken and brocolli and it was pretty good, even better the 2nd day.