Question for women who swim

Options
OK, so I have a question for women who go swimming (granted not all women, but majority of the ones where I go)

I understand that the ladies like to spend time and effort on their hair, and usually, it does look good. But WHY do so many of you act like you have just been punched in the throat when you get it wet in the SWIMMING POOL?! I could understand you getting your knickers in a twist if you was on a sunbed and someone threw a bucket of water over you, or even relaxing on the beach, but if you're going to go swimming, in a public swimming pool, shouldn't you expect to get your hair wet?

I know this doesn't apply to ALL women who swim, but near enough every day when I go swimming, I get dirty looks from various different women (of all ages) because I accidentally splashed some water over their hair! I mean, come on!

Replies

• _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Oh and, when you all congregate in a LINE going across 3 swimming lanes, then complain when someone swims inbetween you, so they don't have to stop! What gives?! Lol.
  • sjbuescher
    sjbuescher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am a woman who swims - I get my hair wet before I get in the pool, so it doesn't absorb as much chlorine and stays healthier while I do my laps.

I rarely see women like that at the pool I go to - luck of the draw?

edited for spelling
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I haven't been swimming for ages, but when I do, my head is under the water so I won't notice if you splash me. And I swim alone - if I want to chat, I'll meet you after for a coffee, the pool is for swimming lengths preferably. Don't get in my way.
  • ldressle66
    Options
    Did you talk to the women? Communicate your concerns about the lanes and get over the hair!

LOL
    :bigsmile:
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    I haven't been swimming for ages, but when I do, my head is under the water so I won't notice if you splash me. And I swim alone - if I want to chat, I'll meet you after for a coffee, the pool is for swimming lengths preferably. Don't get in my way.

Exactly! The pool is for swimming for lengths, not congregating in a line, hogging 2-3 lanes, talking to each other and then whining when they get their hair wet!
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    Did you talk to the women? Communicate your concerns about the lanes and get over the hair!

LOL
    :bigsmile:

NAW, lol. I have said a couple of times "Look, this is a swimming pool, not a hair dressers, accept that you're going to get wet"

^^^^^ This, however, in their eyes is unreasonable! I mean after all, I did just accidentally splash them and get their hair wet, as far as they're concerned, I'm the devil!
  • DeeDoy
    DeeDoy Posts: 45
    Options
    Its not just women, today I had to swim around 3 guys who were taking up a quarter of the lane space while chatting and wouldn't move ;)
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    Its not just women, today I had to swim around 3 guys who were taking up a quarter of the lane space while chatting and wouldn't move ;)

Lol, the only issue I have with my fellow man is the way some of them hog the steam rooms. Some spend about 2 minutes in the pool, and the rest of time in the steam room/sauna. Where they will strike up the same conversation with each and every single person that comes to sit in there!
  • jojo37696
    jojo37696 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    well I don't do the chatting thing as I am there for a reason. I can say that I don't like getting my hair wet because of the chlorine. My hair is already very dry and because I tint it there is a chance of it turning blue or green where the tints are. That all being said I don't say anything if someone accidentally splashes me and gets my hair wet. After all I am in a pool BUT I don't like it. I hate bathing caps even more which is why I never say anything if my hair gets wet. I think those women are just being unreasonable which is putting it nicely
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    well I don't do the chatting thing as I am there for a reason. I can say that I don't like getting my hair wet because of the chlorine. My hair is already very dry and because I tint it there is a chance of it turning blue or green where the tints are. That all being said I don't say anything if someone accidentally splashes me and gets my hair wet. After all I am in a pool BUT I don't like it. I hate bathing caps even more which is why I never say anything if my hair gets wet. I think those women are just being unreasonable which is putting it nicely

You know, I never really thought about the whole chlorine in the hair part of it, because I have a shaved head, so I can see your point there!

I do agree on the unreasonable part though, I mean, if I'm taking a breather and someone comes full force past me and I get a mouthful of chlorinated water, I don't like it, but I would never say anything negative, because that kind of things going to happen when you're swimming! And if I do splash someone, I usually stop my stroke and apologise, just occasionally you get a really irate and aggressive response because someone got their hair wet! Lol.
  • DeeDoy
    DeeDoy Posts: 45
    Options

You can get this masque that you put on your hair before you swim that protects your hair from the chlorine. It shampoos out, I use it and you can apply it on wet or dry hair :)
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    OK, so I have a question for women who go swimming (granted not all women, but majority of the ones where I go)

I understand that the ladies like to spend time and effort on their hair, and usually, it does look good. But WHY do so many of you act like you have just been punched in the throat when you get it wet in the SWIMMING POOL?! I could understand you getting your knickers in a twist if you was on a sunbed and someone threw a bucket of water over you, or even relaxing on the beach, but if you're going to go swimming, in a public swimming pool, shouldn't you expect to get your hair wet?

I know this doesn't apply to ALL women who swim, but near enough every day when I go swimming, I get dirty looks from various different women (of all ages) because I accidentally splashed some water over their hair! I mean, come on!

I swim 3x a week, that said I also spend roughly $300 to get my hair done, so when clorine gets on my hair and tints the color Green and ruins the coloring I paid for I get mad...just sayin. I wouldnt wear a cap in the pool if it was simply water but its the dam clorine that kills it

Especially being military...I got sent home because I came in to work in uniform and my hair was green, because it was the back of my head I couldnt see it and I then had to shell out an additional 120 to fix it
  • shlottelac
    shlottelac Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I advise you to stop concerning about other people hair and simply swim when you go to the pool! ;)
  • kerrygailis
    kerrygailis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you're swimming but I swim at the gym and it's compulsory to wear a cap, so we don't have those issues. I did however have a pregnant women ask me not to swim in her lane as she was scared I would kick her!! Really I've had 2 children and if I was so concerned with someone kicking me I wouldn't swim, you can't hog a whole lane for yourself!!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    When I trained for an Ironman triathlon (2.4 mile swim distance), I spent a lot of time in the pool. Yes I had "pool rage" when people breast stroke slowly next to each other when you're trying to train, or folk chatting 20 mins between laps at the end of the length meaning you can't tumble turn.... but it was men and women alike, not just women. The worst were couples actually, who go to the pool not to swim but to spend their time canoodling at the end of the length.

Solution... train at really antisocial times... either 6am when the pool opens, or the last couple of hours before it shuts. Avoid weekends at all costs when everyone brings the kids.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I swim during the summer and have never pitched a fit about getting my hair wet. It's SUPER important to wash your hair with a good shampoo and conditioner soon after you swim. Even when I had blonde hair I never had the green hair issue because you just hhaaaave to wash it, lots of people will wait until they get home from the gym to shower after a swim but you need to do it quicker than that or else the chlorine will set in and tint your hair. Or just wear a cap. Simple solution.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    PS... It's not cheap but Philip Kingsley's "Swimcap" is fantastic hair conditioner. I spent hours and hours in the pool and never had dry or green hair.

http://www.philipkingsley.co.uk/philip-kingsley-swimcap-cream.html
  • CollieFit
    Options
    (double post)
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Apologize for the "germs" you must have thrown on them...
    They're just being children :\
  • _EndGame_
    Options
    I advise you to stop concerning about other people hair and simply swim when you go to the pool! ;)

Wish I could, but you know, it's difficult to swim when you get moaned at for getting someone wet.