Fat burning zone

Im confused about this fat burning zone. From what I learned on a website nowloss.com, my optimal fat burning zone is 124-163. Meaning if you take your heart rate for 10 seconds and multiply it by six the number should be in that range.

When I was working out, I took my heart rate for 10 seconds, multiplied it by 6, and the number was staggering. 198!!!
Is this normal? It kind of scared me, from what I read my heart was beating at almost full capacity and you should only work out in this heart range for short periods of time. From what Ive read, only well trained athletes should be working out at this capacity and everyone else should get a doctors note.

I dont know if Im doing something wrong, sometimes when Im exercising, I do feel like Im pushing myself too hard, meaning Im breathing so hard and fast it almost hurts. I dont know if this is helping me or hurting me. Its so hard to know if what youre doing is really benefitting you until youve been doing it for a while.

Any advice or information will help!!

Replies

• Consider getting a heart rate monitor and use it to control your intensity.
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    If you have an iPhone there are several apps that are pretty accurate. I am new to finding them myself and L.O.V..E them! It's nice to see I'm in my right zones.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    There is no fat burning zone. It's something dreamed up by people trying to sell you things. You can't accurately take your heart rate by your pulse when exercising. If you really want to do that get a heart rate monitor with a chest strap.