One week on diet, sugar problem - opinions

Options
2»

Replies

• jampro70
    Options
    I agree with the substitutions. The most important thing is to be prepared. I also watch sugar content. I found out that the Dannon lite and fit Greek yogurt has the least amount of sugar, about 7-9 grams that is very low. Most yogurts have 10- 15 grams. I get the sugar free fruit cups. The atkins bars and protein shakes, they have 0- 1 gram of sugar, I have 1-2 atkins shakes a day. Especially after a work out and the calories are low.

If you are eating consistently throughout the day that will reduce your cravings. I know you may have heard about eating 3 small meas and 2-3 small snacks a day. It really works but you have to plan for it every day. I found when I was eating whether I was hungry or not I did not crave sweets. But soon as I have a busy day and do not eat on schedule. I want a snicker bar and diet soda.

Here is an example of somethings I would eat in a day,. It has to be convenient because I work- Drink water all day.. Keep a cup close

8:30-9:00 Breakfast Great Value- low sugar oatmeal = 1 pk, sugar free fruit cup

11:00 am Dannon Lite and fit greek yogurt

1:30 side- salad- Lean Cuisne

3:30 protein shake, apple slices and grapes

5:30 pm work out

Protein shake

7:00 pm Dinner with family small portions/ salad

8:30 pm atkins bar- and 8oz of lactose free chocolate milk

I used the basics from the Shred Diet...

I focused on changing my diet.. first for 2 months.. Now I am adding in a 30 min.. workout everyday..

Hope this helps!

Just be prepared,,,:)
  • ErinMLB
    ErinMLB Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When I buy sweets I divide them into portions that fit into my macros. I do this because I feel like this is something I can keep at for years, where as not eating them would last for a couple weeks until I went crazy. If it's something that you can't control, than try either buying very small portions, or ask a member of your family to hide them for you. My husband and I both do this and it works well.
  • ADietadaM
    ADietadaM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have the least cravings when I don't eat the sweets. I hate that, but it's true. I do well having them once a week, but like you, I crave them more after that one time. The next day it's really hard to not eat them. But then it gets better again the day after that.

If I can stretch the days in between to longer than a week, I do, because then I won't have to deal with cravings. And I only allow myself 1 piece of cake or whatever. No binging on the sweets, lol.

My blood sugar is too high now, but still not diabetic. So it's very important that I try to not have a sweeth tooth anymore. That means avoiding sweets mostly, yes.

Fresh fruit made into a topping with a little water (cut up, add a little water, mix, and let sit for a while) over Angel Food Cake is really nice! That isn't too many sugars for me most days, and it's a real dessert :) I also eat a lot of fruit, but I do enjoy a bit of cake. Real Angel Food is the best kind I've found for blood sugar problems.

Also desserts made out of oats! Like oat bars with a few little chocolate chips in them. They taste like dessert and hardly have any chocolate or sugar at all, really. The oats help them not spike blood sugar. I'm sure there are oat cookie recipes that don't take much sugar, too. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing! I always listen people talk about oats and its health bu i cannot eat them i'm allergic (or maybe intolerant - doctor confirmation with allergic test). And also i did to search what was Angel Food Cake! Never ear that expression! Looks nice! But i guess i cannot eat stopping eat them! But if you can stop that is woonderfull.
    I will try to stop eating the sweets, i think its better!
  • letsdothis180
    letsdothis180 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Keep some sugar free Jell-O ready to eat. It tastes pretty good and makes a good snack. Use this to treat yourself, rather than treating with sweets. Also, try to commit to your calorie goal each day at a time. I find that I avoid the things like chocolate because I know that I'll end up hungry later if I want to stay under the limit- even though I LOVE those things, and yes, as others suggested, I don't buy them because I will end up eating it. Good luck!
  • ADietadaM
    Options
    emklug1, thank you. I normally do with banana but i will try with apples!

jampro70, thank you very much for your words and example. i realize in this last week that i prepared more my meals that i stop craving to much like i normally did. I will try to search for Shred Diet.

ErinMLB, thank you. Hide it will be impossible in my case, my family eat them so, so i daily everyday with that situation, did take me long time (long process) but not its ok for me, i don't eat them.

letsdothis180, thank you. I will try to have sugar free Jell-O at home to help in sugar cravings. I will do that!
  • jampro70
    Options
    The most important thing is to figure out what works best for you. Keep researching and trying new things.. However, don't let yourself

:smile: get in hunger mode this is a big trigger to cravings. Also, drink plenty of water...:smile:
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This is a tricky one as it really does depend on the type of person you are. I am prone to binging so rather than cut all the foods I like and can't say no to (chocolate, cake, cookies, wine, beer, pizza - the list goes on) I have addopted an If It Fits Your Macros strategy Basically, if it fit in I can have it and it is my job to make it fit in or not. It puts the control back to me and also means if I know I have been able to plan my meals and can have ice cream tomorrow I am less likely to binge on it today.

Having said that, if even the slightest glimpse of a cookie in the cupboard can set you off then maybe don't buy the products, it will only be detrimental to your journey. You can always look for alternatives, I noticed someone mentioned Jelly? That can be a really good one to stave away the binging monsters!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I have the least cravings when I don't eat the sweets. I hate that, but it's true. I do well having them once a week, but like you, I crave them more after that one time. The next day it's really hard to not eat them. But then it gets better again the day after that.

If I can stretch the days in between to longer than a week, I do, because then I won't have to deal with cravings. And I only allow myself 1 piece of cake or whatever. No binging on the sweets, lol.

My blood sugar is too high now, but still not diabetic. So it's very important that I try to not have a sweeth tooth anymore. That means avoiding sweets mostly, yes.

Fresh fruit made into a topping with a little water (cut up, add a little water, mix, and let sit for a while) over Angel Food Cake is really nice! That isn't too many sugars for me most days, and it's a real dessert :) I also eat a lot of fruit, but I do enjoy a bit of cake. Real Angel Food is the best kind I've found for blood sugar problems.

Also desserts made out of oats! Like oat bars with a few little chocolate chips in them. They taste like dessert and hardly have any chocolate or sugar at all, really. The oats help them not spike blood sugar. I'm sure there are oat cookie recipes that don't take much sugar, too. Good luck!

On compulsion, I just HAVE to add....that angel food cake has tons and tons of sugar. It's just white processed carbs and sugar. It's a ghost of "low fat" 1990's past. Sorry..I don't mean to be rude. I just HAD to throw that out there if we are looking at low sugar options. :flowerforyou:
  • ADietadaM
    Options
    We all have one or another food problem. For some people is sweets, others salty stuff, soda, and the list continue!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

On compulsion, I just HAVE to add....that angel food cake has tons and tons of sugar. It's just white processed carbs and sugar. It's a ghost of "low fat" 1990's past. Sorry..I don't mean to be rude. I just HAD to throw that out there if we are looking at low sugar options. :flowerforyou:

No, it's true; it's still definitely cake, lol :) But adding tons of fresh berries reduces the GI index enough to be quite reasonable for me. Interestingly, its GI index itself is not far off that of a bran muffin, and it's lower than watermelon's! Crazy!

Pound cake has a better GI index, but the calories themselves get me there. I wish! Pound cake with fruit sounds awesome :)