When to start stronglifts/ heavy lifting programs

Options
Heya, I was wondering what to do at this point of my exercise journey. After going to the gym x3 a week for a month and doing weights x 8 rep (to failure) x 2/3 sets and a bit of yoga thrown in, my bodyfat has gone down 2% while my weight only went down 2lbs, since I wasn't consistent with my eating plan.

I'm at the point where my strength gains are pretty stagnant thanks to my calorie deficit, so I was wondering if I should maintain what I'm doing: lifting a consistent amount of weight to maintain lean muscle mass and eat at a deficit for weight and body fat % loss? Or should I jump into stronglifts, push my calories to 2300-3000/day (it's currently at 1600-1800) and start the program? I have seen great improvements with both methods though I am concerned about starting SL at such a high body fat %, should I wait till I hit around 25% to start? Or can I actually do strong lifts at a lower calorie deficit (say TDEE - 10%)?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing and lift heavy to preserve muscle while you cut body fat. Once you cut enough body fat to where you're happy, then transition to a caloric surplus to put on muscle mass.
  • natalieyeo39
    natalieyeo39 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The very best time to start is now. One month in, you have A LOT of noob strength gains left, and these can be made in a caloric deficit. You will be surprised how strong you can get.

I wouldn't consider a bulk until:
    a) you are lean AND
    b) your strength gains have become slow and grinding, on a good program like Stronglifts.

It's easier to progress on a program that prescribes 5 rep sets with compound lifts. Progression is key.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    The very best time to start is now. One month in, you have A LOT of noob strength gains left, and these can be made in a caloric deficit. You will be surprised how strong you can get.

I wouldn't consider a bulk until:
    a) you are lean AND
    b) your strength gains have become slow and grinding, on a good program like Stronglifts.

It's easier to progress on a program that prescribes 5 rep sets with compound lifts. Progression is key.

It's easier to see strength increases with a lower rep scheme, but most people train for body composition (preserve as much muscle mass as possible while losing fat), so hypertrophy is more important than strength gains. Because of this, it's advisable to stick with a hypertrophy rep scheme (8-12 reps to failure) while losing weight to preserve the largest amount of muscle mass.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I don't know what percentage you are subtracting from your TDEE now, but you could certainly try TDEE - 10% and see if you are getting the results you want.

I'm not doing that program, but I'm trying to see if my newb gains keep up with lifting. I do TDEE - 10-12% (most days 12%), and I'm completely satisfied so far (9th week). I've lost good inches and very little weight (right on track) and my strength gains are still going strong.

I do have the higher calorie days be from meals eaten after lifting. That might make a difference is why I mention it. It happens to fit what I feel like doing naturally, so that worked out nicely :) Good luck!

Edit - seeing the last post I thought I'd add that I do 8 reps and then increase up to 10 or the next level of lbs to add, whichever I can do with good form at the time to progress.