shopping list

Options
Hello everyone I'm trying to lose weight but its very expensive to do so at the moment. does anyone know any items that are really cheap for weight loss. im not asking to make me a list just want to get a general idea on how not to break a very limited budget.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Look at your weekly grocery circulars. Note the meats and veggies on sale. Buy the meats and veggies on sale. Profit! :smile:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    yes that and check the "managers specials" or "markdowns" section (or some are bold enough to call it clearance). It's often meat /produce/bread/etc.. that they can't sell after the next day, but if frozen or eaten right away will last you the week or two and be just fine. Just check it to make sure it's not old, discolored, bleeding or leaking. They are often at a pretty good discount.

I get a lot of bagged veggies this way as well as meat.. I just check it and make sure I can eat it in a reasonable time frame and it's always good for me. There's usually a bakery one too.. just avoid the cakes and donuts and look for the bread. :~)

I just got a bunch of organic squash for a buck a pound. I though that was a great deal and I can't wait to figure out what to do with it!!
  • lacysue
    lacysue Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yes that and check the "managers specials" or "markdowns" section (or some are bold enough to call it clearance). It's often meat /produce/bread/etc.. that they can't sell after the next day, but if frozen or eaten right away will last you the week or two and be just fine. Just check it to make sure it's not old, discolored, bleeding or leaking. They are often at a pretty good discount.

I get a lot of bagged veggies this way as well as meat.. I just check it and make sure I can eat it in a reasonable time frame and it's always good for me. There's usually a bakery one too.. just avoid the cakes and donuts and look for the bread. :~)

I just got a bunch of organic squash for a buck a pound. I though that was a great deal and I can't wait to figure out what to do with it!!

I do this same thing. I always buy marked down packages of chicken and filet them out into smaller serving sizes and freeze them. I get them cheap and always have chicken breasts in the freezer. (If you buy them manager special, make sure you do it as soon as you get home. they are trying to sell them because they are close to their date. If you wait a couple days, it may be too late) I buy bruised bananas and use them in smoothies. they are sweeter and cheaper. Look for good deals. Buy bags of brown rice and cook a batch and put it away for the whole week. Its cheap and easy. Little things like that. Dont assume that a "frozen meal" thats "only" $2.00 is a good choice. Thats only one meal and its not as healthy as they say. Good luck!