Healthcare and running?

Options
Introduced running recently to my life and was wondering if there was anything you experienced runners buy to help with recovery or something along those lines? I'm in England by the way.

I'm running 8-10 miles per week and slowly increasing it by a mile a week for now. Someone mentioned cod liver oil?

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Morning! Anyone?
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I just try to eat clean and I don't take many supplements. For post-run recovery I either use a protein powder or a recovery drink powder. I look for something that contains L-glutamine. That is an important amino acid for muscle recovery. Other than that I frequently use ginger, turmeric, and cinnamon in drinks & food as much as possible. Also keep some epsom salts around for a recovery bath.
  • runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything special for recovery, just try to keep my diet right. I do often drink a cold glass of chocolate milk after a long run. Nothing beats it, and it's as good as any for a "recovery drink" as far as I know.

Also, I've never tried it but many people I know use foam rolling to loosen up stiff muscles, and IT bands in their post-run stretching routine.
  • fleamunky
    fleamunky Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If the run is under an hour I wouldn't do anything special, but for long runs a pint of milk is great for recovery, has the right mix of carbs and protein. No need to buy protein shakes if you don't want!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything special. My longest run has been 11 miles and my average run is 5 miles. I just eat well and drink water.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My tips for staying healthy and injury free: Eat well, stay hydrated, get plenty of sleep, listen to your body and take rest days when you need them. That's pretty much it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything. Maybe something to drink but I usually run between getting home from work and supper so no need for food. Cod liver oil sounds disgusting and more like a laxative than something for recovery! Running a few miles a day isn't like doing marathon.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Good morning Roy...protein and by the way Chocolate milk is a lot of fun too. For joints pain you might look at the surface you are running on and your running form. Getting the correct shoes is an absolute must, do not skip this important step! With the right shoes you will fell like your feet and legs can run forever. I finally took the advice of a life long runner, went to a running store who analyzed my gait...while watching me run, with and without shoes, then selected a few pairs of shoes to try. The second pair where so nice it felt like I was running on clouds. Purchased used and replaced regularly until they no longer made that model. Am on my second model Ghost 6. Recommend same...but after a run always protein and some carbs.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My tips for staying healthy and injury free: Eat well, stay hydrated, get plenty of sleep, listen to your body and take rest days when you need them. That's pretty much it.

This.

And stretch a lot.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm a shiney new runner too (been running since about July). Usually I have a glass or two of water, and if I feel particularly hungy I have squash instead of water, and a cookie. No added sugar hi juice to be precise. 80cal ish per glass, good taste, some vits, some carbs, no caffeine. I stretch, and have a warm or hot shower almost straightaway to stop my muscles cooling too rapidly. Then I put my feet up while my lovely boyf cooks dinner :smile:
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Good morning Roy...protein and by the way Chocolate milk is a lot of fun too. For joints pain you might look at the surface you are running on and your running form. Getting the correct shoes is an absolute must, do not skip this important step! With the right shoes you will fell like your feet and legs can run forever. I finally took the advice of a life long runner, went to a running store who analyzed my gait...while watching me run, with and without shoes, then selected a few pairs of shoes to try. The second pair where so nice it felt like I was running on clouds. Purchased used and replaced regularly until they no longer made that model. Am on my second model Ghost 6. Recommend same...but after a run always protein and some carbs.

Thanks for this and to everyone.

My diet is good and I drink 1-2 litres of water a day. Need some shoes for sure.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    "The Stick", and a foam roller for self massage therapy.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I suffer from a joint disease that attacks my joints. So I watch them very closely.

Like other have said new shoes every 300-500 miles is standard. Checking your form if possible on video is helpful. Foam roller is used after stretching when finished quite a bit, or after doing squats/deads.

Most importantly listen to your body. You can do more than you think if you take care of yourself.