Running for weightloss

Options
13»

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Just a post to subscribe to the thread :)

But I will be the "one more" that says that running doesn't build muscle. Not substantial enough to measure. If you think it does, you are just losing fat on your legs and revealing the muscle as a previous poster pointed out.

To the OP, I am in the camp that you aren't eating enough IF you are 100% certain that your food counts are accurate. I go through spurts where I am way under my calorie goals and that usually stalls me a bit. Adding a couple hundred "good" calories will usually get me back on the downslope.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Nice balanced article about muscle gains from running: http://www.livestrong.com/article/398355-does-running-gain-muscle/

The article stated that running doesn't create large muscle gains, but that it could build for the relatively low level runner (which means it wouldn't be substationl, which wouldn't stall, nor raise the scale for OP). Yes, any "new" workout regimine (running, lifting, 30DS) can come with some "noob gains", but on cardio alone would be pretty minimal. Still a gain, but minimal.

And that sprinting can build more substantial. (agreed).

But hey, whatever floats your boat right?

And this was your initial post to OP in this thread:
    Op isn't gaining muscle from running

Article says: "However, that does depend somewhat on your starting size and shape, as well as the type of running you're doing. In certain conditions and at a relatively low level, running can build muscles in your legs."

You are cherry picking and moving the goal posts. Hey, 'whatever (apparently) floats your boat', I guess. I am more interested in being factual. As I originally stated, and as others in this thread have stated, you can and DO build muscle in your legs when you begin a running program. Period.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Nice balanced article about muscle gains from running: http://www.livestrong.com/article/398355-does-running-gain-muscle/

The article stated that running doesn't create large muscle gains, but that it could build for the relatively low level runner (which means it wouldn't be substationl, which wouldn't stall, nor raise the scale for OP). Yes, any "new" workout regimine (running, lifting, 30DS) can come with some "noob gains", but on cardio alone would be pretty minimal. Still a gain, but minimal.

Article says: "However, that does depend somewhat on your starting size and shape, as well as the type of running you're doing. In certain conditions and at a relatively low level, running can build muscles in your legs."

You are cherry picking and moving the goal posts. Hey, 'whatever (apparently) floats your boat', I guess. I am more interested in being factual. As I originally stated, and as others in this thread have stated, you can and DO build muscle in your legs when you begin a running program. Period.

You are also cherry picking his quote, as he followed it up with "not substantial enough for the OP to notice" or something like that.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

And Just as the article states, not everyone does gain muscle from starting a program. The article itself has qualifiers (starting size, condition etc..), and the article itself is far from a medical study or paper. It's over two years old, and the same website has an article from 2013 that states cardio can burn muscle in a poorly fueled body. Per the OP's net gain, poorly fueled, So no, not period.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Reality is running benefits vary from person to person and body type to body type. Type of running also results in varied results. As I lose more weight I hit a plateau so I asked some one whose advice I respect and she said..."if you want to lose more weight you will have to run faster." I did as she said and it worked for me. Will it work for you? I do not know. But running is one tool in your arsenal of fitness...work with others as well. Fitness will result in appropriate weight. :happy:
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Someone may be able to enlighten me here! I'm the same...began to run more and incorporate it with stronglifts, some interval training after those sessions, maybe spin and netball after my weight session. I'm currently eating around 1400-1500 calories, and I don't eat back exercise calories. I use a hrm and average around 350-400 calories for a 6k run. I too am not losing, nor are my measurements reducing. My diary is open too. I've also recently cut back on alcohol too, drink about two litres of water per day and weigh my food with a digital scale.
  • mung222
    mung222 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Reality is running benefits vary from person to person and body type to body type. Type of running also results in varied results. As I lose more weight I hit a plateau so I asked some one whose advice I respect and she said..."if you want to lose more weight you will have to run faster." I did as she said and it worked for me. Will it work for you? I do not know. But running is one tool in your arsenal of fitness...work with others as well. Fitness will result in appropriate weight. :happy:

Thanks. Posts like these are actually helpful.
  • mung222
    mung222 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite friends :)

You look great no matter what so your doing something right!!

I'd second logging EVERYTHING for a month and see where you are :)

haha, thanks and ditto! :)

But you're right I will start logging everything. If i bite it i'll write it!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You are gaining because you are eating more than you are burning.

You are wrong. My inches are going down. I do measurements once a month. Thanks anyway

Ok then good luck! You must be a medical mystery if you defy science and gain weight on a caloric deficit. I am wondering why you posted a question when you are doing everything right.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

And Just as the article states, not everyone does gain muscle from starting a program. The article itself has qualifiers (starting size, condition etc..), and the article itself is far from a medical study or paper. It's over two years old, and the same website has an article from 2013 that states cardio can burn muscle in a poorly fueled body. Per the OP's net gain, poorly fueled, So no, not period.

Well, since you refuse to acknowledge your own inconsistencies in this thread, I am done! Period.
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    A lot of non-runners, beginners, and haters (lol!) miss this important point: Improving as a runner will increase your calorie burn. An experienced runner is able to run faster for longer. So don't worry about the scale so much, train hard and you could be burning 4k, 5k, even 6k+ calories per week through running. That's a lot of beer and pop-tarts!
  • LoraMora
    LoraMora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Running does build muscles. You may be losing inches - take your measurements periodically.

I ran for a year (5 miles per run) with little change to my weight. However, I lost almost 2 pants sizes that same year.

I run up and down rollercoaster hills - a great calorie boost and muscle workout. For a killer butt/thigh workout, run up the hill backwards.

I also ate 1200 calories a day (more or less) for years and found my stubborn weight confounding. I was very careful but nothing worked.

To finally budget the scale, what worked for me was going on a Shaklee shake diet. First week was only shakes/bars for every meal, and then I started the regular program (shakes/bars for 2 meals, regular meal for 1). Now I'm down 10 pounds and another size. I've been at the maintenance stage for a couple of months (same weight) and am preparing for another 10 pound plunge soon.

Taking measurements (something I'd never done before) was so encouraging. Some weeks the scale wouldn't budge but several measurements showed progress (lost fat weight/gained muscle weight). This gave me positive reinforcement (and stamina) every week regardless of what the scale said.

Good luck.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Well, since you refuse to acknowledge your own inconsistencies in this thread, I am done! Period.

Okie dokey then.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You can definitely use running as a tool for weight loss. I have been running since March and have lost quite a bit of weight during that time. However, I also pay attention to what I eat. It sounds from what you have said that you may be taking in too few calories. If you are eating 1300 and burning an extra 400, your net calorie intake is only 900 calories. That's probably not enough for you. Try upping your calories and see what happens. FWIW, I eat between 1500-1700 and am losing fairly steadily.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    With respect to the "no you can't/yes I can" argument about building muscle from running, is it possible that the "yes I can" person has lost fat so the existing musculature is more visible? I absolutely believe that running can help in that respect - I know it has for me. My leg muscles show up much more now because I've eliminated a lot of fat.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    With respect to the "no you can't/yes I can" argument about building muscle from running, is it possible that the "yes I can" person has lost fat so the existing musculature is more visible? I absolutely believe that running can help in that respect - I know it has for me. My leg muscles show up much more now because I've eliminated a lot of fat.

Muscles showing up does not mean gaining more muscle. I would think you could maybe build some leg muscle, but not upper body. Pro marathon runners are pretty thin.