Lady to give out "you're too fat for candy" letters?

Options
cynthiaj777
cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
Thoughts on this news article about a woman giving fat kids a letter scolding them and their parents?

http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/281070/158/Woman-to-give-obese-children-letters-no-candy

Replies

• myprana
    myprana Posts: 66
    Options
    LOL, we must've posted near the same time. I was shaking my head at this story. Why pass out candy at all? Passing out candy is supposed to be for fun and to reward the kids who show off their costumes. It's not judgement time for fat kids and their parents.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Next she'll be telling them there is no Santa...:angry:
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hand out a healthy snack to the kid, and the letter to the parents. If she feels the need to voice her opinion that is.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Hand out a healthy snack to the kid, and the letter to the parents. If she feels the need to voice her opinion that is.
    This.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    If someone ever handed my child a letter that said they are too fat for anything I would most likely punch them in their slim, uppity face.

If they want to have that conversation with me as a parent, that is one thing, but you make my child feel bad (as a complete stranger who knows nothing about my child) and I will eff you up.
  • MaryMBacon
    MaryMBacon Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to post this kind of "rant" on your facebook and let neighbor friends see it, accusing no one in particular and expressing how you feel and your concern, what she is doing is downright mean. these kids will see a letter in their bag and no doubt read it before their parents. this is Halloween, it's supposed to be a fun kid holiday and getting called fat in any way shape or form as a child is very hard to take. I really hope she changes her mind. This is the job of the Doctor, the school nurse, the people who love this child and it should be done in a gentle and caring way.
    I hope all the families that get this letter drop off a lump of coal to her on christmas to let her know what a scrooge (halloween equivalent) she is
  • smesche
    smesche Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If someone ever handed my child a letter that said they are too fat for anything I would most likely punch them in their slim, uppity face. If they want to have that conversation with me as a parent, that is one thing, but you make my child feel bad and I will eff you up.

This a hundred times over.

It is not her place to make any child feel comfortable about themselves or to embarass them in front of their peers. She's a horrible person in my opinion.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    If someone ever handed my child a letter that said they are too fat for anything I would most likely punch them in their slim, uppity face. If they want to have that conversation with me as a parent, that is one thing, but you make my child feel bad and I will eff you up.

X2... I expect that lady will have a lot of shaving cream and eggs to clean up November 1st. :laugh:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Keep your d**n opinion to yourself and opt out of Halloween if it bothers you that much.

If my girl came away from a house with a letter like that, I would be straight back to have words. I also think I'd gather all the recipients of said letters together to remind her that the choice is 'trick or treat', and in the absence of a treat....

Seriously, though, it's crap like this that leads kids into eating disorders.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    It's Halloween in North Dakota. The kids are going to be bundled up in their winter coats. How will she be able to tell?

ETA: My prediction is that her house will be TP'd and her car(s) egged.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options

X2... I expect that lady will have a lot of shaving cream and eggs to clean up November 1st. :laugh:
    Now I'm going to wait for that follow-up story. Oh god lol.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I'd give her a letter saying that she's too much of a sanctimonious judgmental biaaacchh to live in my neighbourhood and if she knows what's good for her she'll move to a safer part of town. For her health of course.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    This is the job of the Doctor, the school nurse, the people who love this child and it should be done in a gentle and caring way.

unfortunately we have on our hands here a society rife with parents who don't properly care for their children, doctors who don't see poor kids whos parents aren't taking them in, school nurses who probably don't have enough resources, and all kinds of people everywhere who can't seem to figure out the whole "gentle and caring thing" (parents espesh): and, voila! fat kids! so many of them, in fact, that some people feel the need to get involved.

guess what! we ALL need to get involved: by making the right choices for ourselves and modeling those choices for others. by supporting our schools and making sure our public institutions are on the level. by building a world for the young in which exercise and whole foods are integral. passing out letters instead of candy at halloween is inapppropriate. duh. there are so many much more fruitful ways to work toward the good here.

simply saying "that's somebody else's job" isn't helpful: there have always been and always will be people out there who can't or won't do their "jobs" properly. parenting is the most impactful "job" i can think of in terms of how it affects everybody.

recap: do something, but don't do *that*.
  • TheBackStory
    Options
    Keep your d**n opinion to yourself and opt out of Halloween if it bothers you that much.

If my girl came away from a house with a letter like that, I would be straight back to have words. I also think I'd gather all the recipients of said letters together to remind her that the choice is 'trick or treat', and in the absence of a treat....

Seriously, though, it's crap like this that leads kids into eating disorders.

1st thought... Lady is a total @$$
    2nd thought... Throat Punch
    3rd thought... This is how eating disorders are created
    4th thought... She's going to have a ton of livid parents at her doorstep.
    5th thought... Throat Punch
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Her house is getting egged! Too bad I can't throw that far
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If ANYONE took it upon themselves to judge my kid's body, I'd punch them straight in the face.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    If someone ever handed my child a letter that said they are too fat for anything I would most likely punch them in their slim, uppity face.

If they want to have that conversation with me as a parent, that is one thing, but you make my child feel bad (as a complete stranger who knows nothing about my child) and I will eff you up.

Absolutely.
  • peachcats
    Options
    More power to her, was following a school bus the other day home(sigh) and almost all the kids that got off were obese or at least overweight.
    If you don't want your kid to get letters, stop sending them around to beg for candy.
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

This for sure. Why does she think it's her job to make CHILDREN feel bad about their self image? Isn't this how they develop EDs?