Lady to give out "you're too fat for candy" letters?

Options

Replies

• aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Holy *kitten*! The nerve! I live in a VERY fat state and I hate seeing how large some parents allow their children to get, but that does NOT give some stranger the right to hurt that child's feelings to make a point!

MS, TN, or AL? :)
    Kentucky
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Not specifically agreeing or disagreeing with anyone's comments, but I posted this here since it is a fitness and weight loss site to see/I was curious how fitness and weight loss minded people think (I was thinking different than the regular people on the comments on FB), and I am quite honestly surprised that no one is arguing the merit of seeing a problem with childhood obesity in this country. Everyone is just commenting on how angry it would make them.

Interesting.

Carry on with your comments.

:smile:

I have seen a couple of comments addressing childhood obesity on this thread. Most have said (basically) "yeah, it's a problem, but this isn't the solution."

I have to agree with that.
    If she has an issue with childhood obesity, she should do something less "ugly" to help the situation.

HOWEVER... I'm pretty sure that she is one of the last people I would want working directly with children.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Not specifically agreeing or disagreeing with anyone's comments, but I posted this here since it is a fitness and weight loss site to see/I was curious how fitness and weight loss minded people think (I was thinking different than the regular people on the comments on FB), and I am quite honestly surprised that no one is arguing the merit of seeing a problem with childhood obesity in this country. Everyone is just commenting on how angry it would make them.

Interesting.

But she's not doing anything productive to fix the problem, she's only handing out insulting letters to some of the kids based on her opinion and candy to the rest. If she were doing something productive in support of childhood obesity awareness, say a glowing slap bracelet with a dietary or nutrition fact or a place to go for further education then yes . . . but this is just insulting. You either get into the sprirt of Halloween: putting on a costume, oooing and aaahing at the kiddos, and slapping a smile on your otherwise judgemental face, and giving every child the same treat(ment), or you turn your light out.

I'm all for being productive and constructive to make a positive impact, but this is none of those things.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    If someone ever handed my child a letter that said they are too fat for anything I would most likely punch them in their slim, uppity face.

If they want to have that conversation with me as a parent, that is one thing, but you make my child feel bad (as a complete stranger who knows nothing about my child) and I will eff you up.

Yes
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I think she's a ****ing *****.

It's ****ing Halloween, either hand out your version of healthy, hand out a toothbrush, or hand candy out to everyone. If you're going to be an *kitten* about Halloween, be an *kitten* to everyone.

If I found that in my kid's bag I'd kick her in the taint.

:laugh: we call that a CP here. LOL
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Trick or treating comes with an expectation of getting a treat, usually candy sometimes money or stickers or whatever. This woman handing out a smarmy letter is like a food bank advertising to the needy that they'll be handing out food, but then when the needy arrive there's an hour-long religious preaching session they have to listen to first. It's rude to advertise one thing and then pull a switcherooney. If this woman is going to answer her door with a candy jar in her hands, she ought to not falsely advertise her intentions.

well said!
    If she goes through with it, I suspect some people disguised as trick or treaters will "trick" her as well.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    Doesn't she realize that there are a lot of mischievous people out on Halloween night? She must want her car egged or house tp'ed.... maybe even worse property damage. I wouldn't do it, but that letter will make her house a prime target.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I do not see this as the way to address the issue.
    If you are not going to give candy to fat kids, then don't give it to any of the kids, give something else out instead.

She will have no idea what issues the kid may have that have led to them gaining additional weight, and doing this could just send them into a deeper spiral of depression than they may already be in.

If she doesn't like the situation work at it from a different angle, this is the wrong angle to be coming at the problem from.

Trick and treat is more about having a fun time out with friends (and maybe brothers/sisters) away from the parents more than anything, the candy is an added bonus.

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'd give her a letter saying that she's too much of a sanctimonious judgmental biaaacchh to live in my neighbourhood and if she knows what's good for her she'll move to a safer part of town. For her health of course.
    I sense the letter might be attached to a brick.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    So.. a letter explaining that your child is a little overweight
    =
    getting your *kitten* kicked
    Getting your tires slashed
    getting your house egg'd
    getting thretened to the point of needing to move.

And we wonder whats wrong with society today....

conup.gif
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Its been proven that calling someone fat tends to encourage negative behaviours with food. It is honestly none of her concern. If she really cared, set up a fitness class 3x a week for free, offering school children the ability to run around for an hour.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Next she'll be telling them there is no Santa...:angry:
    ?? umm, what do you mean there is no Santa? :frown: :cry:
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Wow, it's a slow news day I guess. This is what she thinks she's going to do, I'd like to see the reaction if she actually tried it. Personally, I would not let her give a letter to a single other child.
  • myprana
    myprana Posts: 66
    Options

Interesting.

Do I want obesity to be eradicated? Heck yeah! Do I think some woman passing out shaming letters on halloween is going to get the job done? Not a chance. My kids are the furthest thing from being overweight, but I still care about their health. I talked to their principal the other day, asking if they ever thought of having a no-candy policy for birthdays where the kids could bring in non-food treats to celebrate instead. There'd still be plenty of food treats for holiday parties. I thought it'd be an idea worth looking into for all kids, fat or thin, because it'd be sending the message that not every celebration needs junk food. But to shame fat kids with a letter while passing out candy to thin kids? Tacky, to say the least.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    That is why I hate society. Ruin a kids day by doing that crap. >.> people.
  • DeputySox
    Options
    She would be an excellent candidate for a flaming poo.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Interesting.

Just imagine if I went and creeped on everyone's diaries and was all like "Did you need that snicker bar fatty?".

No Tact. Self Righteous. Judgemental. And as a former fat kid, this pillow case isn't gonna fill it self so trick or treat or GTFO
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    So.. a letter explaining that your child is a little overweight
    =
    getting your *kitten* kicked
    Getting your tires slashed
    getting your house egg'd
    getting thretened to the point of needing to move.

And we wonder whats wrong with society today....

conup.gif

Yes, an adult handing out insulting, passive aggressive notes to children gets parents annoyed and protective.

Your point?

Perhaps some of the sentiments here are a little extreme, but I don't think most parents would resort to actual assault, even if they say they would. But yes, I would most definitely talk to her about the appropriateness of her behavior. In our neighborhood it's commonly accepted that porch lights on = 'yes, I would like to participate in Halloween' and porch lights off = 'no, thanks'. If she doesn't agree with handing out candy to kids, she has the option to not participate. Comments on children's bodies, and people's parenting, are inappropriate for a night that should be childish fun.
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    haha! the other day I was at my local shopping centre and somebody handed me a leaflet for liposuction! D'ya think she was trying to tell me I am fat!! :-D