Lady to give out "you're too fat for candy" letters?

Options

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    obviously she's cray cray but my favorite part is "moderately obese"
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    To retitle this article:

"Woman's house egged so much it became an omelet when the sun rose"
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

yep. perfect!
    Someone should tell that woman, "worry about yo' self!"
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    So.. a letter explaining that your child is a little overweight
    =
    getting your *kitten* kicked
    Getting your tires slashed
    getting your house egg'd
    getting thretened to the point of needing to move.

And we wonder whats wrong with society today....

Don't be dense. It's not a letter "explaining that your child is a little overweight." It's an insulting, demeaning, humiliating slap in the face of a child. A child who may already be feeling crappy about being obese and is just out having some fun with his/her friends. Really. Don't be an *kitten*.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This strikes a raw nerve with me.

I got a similar letter sent home from pre-school with my youngest son. He is 4 years-old, 3'9 inches tall and weighs 53 pounds. They calculated his BMI at 29. The letter was "coaching" my wife and I how to feed him so that he doesn't get fatter and less healthy.

My wife, quietly went to open house last night without me, fearing that I would create a scene. I, as the person paying for this "school", would like to know how they could be so bad at math. (His BMI is right around 18... Not pushing 30) I am also concerned that there are apparently no sighted adults at this school, as anyone can plainly see that the kid is a scrawny lil' fella.

As irritated as I am with the school doing this, I have to say I'd be a whole lot more pissed off if a neighbor did this. This would not be favorable for them, as I have considerably more egg and TP resources at age 42 than I did back when I engaged in those sort of Halloween shenanigans.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    On the flip side ....

h8770D36C
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I love that she feels she has the right to do something as useless as this, yet won't identify herself.

Really? If she truly thinks what she's doing would be a good idea, then she'd have no issue with giving her name and address.

She's not doing this to help anyone, she's pulling this sanctimonious crap to anger parents and disappoint children. She can take her completely unnecessary and unwanted, prejudiced, condescending bullship and stick it up her bum.

And I don't even have any kids. Why does this make me angry? Because what she's planning to do will have no effect. No parent is going to look at a letter from a stranger insulting their child and say "oh gee, thanks anonymous stranger, you have opened my eyes to a world of change". :noway: Her intentions are not to help, but to cause drama and attention. She could put that energy into something more constructive and have a much better response to her efforts.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have a friend (a school nurse) who feels the same way about passing out candy. She passes out glow in the dark slap bracelets. The kids love them. Much nicer than an unkind letter and probably more effective.

See now? That is a totally acceptable way to handle that. We have gotten some very strange things in the trick or treat bags over the years. A camo-covered bible, a full-sized can of diet coke. Then there's the guy who goes to great lengths to post laminated signs saying "No candy" all over his property, but leaves his porch light on. People are weird and lacking in basic social skills.

Sometimes the kids get fun little things like slap bracelets or spider rings or halloween pencils or whatever, and they are appreciated.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else see the picture of her letter? Maybe she should work on her writing skills first.

"You child is, in my opinion,..." and "Happy Holiday's Neighbors"

Yep, she can't even properly insult or greet people! I think they should have given out her address so that people could send some letters to her or choose to simply keep their child from having a potentially negative experience on what is supposed to be a fun night.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Keep your d**n opinion to yourself and opt out of Halloween if it bothers you that much.

If my girl came away from a house with a letter like that, I would be straight back to have words. I also think I'd gather all the recipients of said letters together to remind her that the choice is 'trick or treat', and in the absence of a treat....

Seriously, though, it's crap like this that leads kids into eating disorders.

1st thought... Lady is a total @$$
    2nd thought... Throat Punch
    3rd thought... This is how eating disorders are created
    4th thought... She's going to have a ton of livid parents at her doorstep.
    5th thought... Throat Punch

OMG, this made me laugh so hard!! I'll add another throat punch!

When I saw this on the news this morning my jaw just dropped, I couldn't believe that someone could be so insensitive. I grew up a bit on the pudgy side and I had to put up with my brother teasing me that I was fat, can you imagine the impact of a letter from a stranger saying you're too fat to enjoy Halloween. It would be absolutely devastating!!
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

I like this, and has manners enough to say "No, thank you", there are too many kids who don't know what please and thank you mean. Manners cost nothing.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    On the flip side ....

h8770D36C

I saw this story earlier this week and love that the parents are nicely asking so their kid can participate without putting a financial burden on anyone. If this family lived in my neighborhood, I'd be happy to follow their wishes!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    If someone ever handed my child a letter that said they are too fat for anything I would most likely punch them in their slim, uppity face.

If they want to have that conversation with me as a parent, that is one thing, but you make my child feel bad (as a complete stranger who knows nothing about my child) and I will eff you up.

Yay! Love your attitude :-)
  • Beastmaster50
    Beastmaster50 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Next she'll be telling them there is no Santa...:angry:
    what?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have a friend (a school nurse) who feels the same way about passing out candy. She passes out glow in the dark slap bracelets. The kids love them. Much nicer than an unkind letter and probably more effective.

See now? That is a totally acceptable way to handle that. We have gotten some very strange things in the trick or treat bags over the years. A camo-covered bible, a full-sized can of diet coke. Then there's the guy who goes to great lengths to post laminated signs saying "No candy" all over his property, but leaves his porch light on. People are weird and lacking in basic social skills.

Sometimes the kids get fun little things like slap bracelets or spider rings or halloween pencils or whatever, and they are appreciated.

I am glad to hear this stuff is appreciated. I've given things like that out in addition to candy but wasn't sure.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If someone ever handed my child a letter that said they are too fat for anything I would most likely punch them in their slim, uppity face.

If they want to have that conversation with me as a parent, that is one thing, but you make my child feel bad (as a complete stranger who knows nothing about my child) and I will eff you up.

Love this!!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    On the flip side ....

h8770D36C
    :heart:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    If I were a kid, I'd be dropping off "Hey Lady, You need to clean the Toilet Paper out of your trees!" letters in her mailbox.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm in the state that this is happening I say to it , you're not their parent and your opinions are not wanted keep them to yourself , if you don't want us telling you how to parent your child than don't try and tell us how to ,

She is overstepping her boundaries flat out