Starting You Are Your Own Gym

Options
Hello! Short intro, 20 year old male, played highschool hockey, stopped playing in college, weight gain followed. Was hovering around 180 (not a healthy, muscly 180, a surprising gut 180). Decided I wanted to change how I looked, and get into better shape then I was in highschool.

Started bicycling for general weight loss (fat loss really, I don't care about my weight). While eating a deficit and riding my bike, I've gotten down to 154.6. I set a random goal of 150 (it seems to have been a good one, because my stomach has definitely slimmed down, but still have a nice little pooch... god I sound like a woman) before I started weight training. Now that I'm getting close to my goal, I'm going to start eating at only a slight deficit, and doing You Are Your Own Gym app training accompanied by the book.

At this point, I don't care about my weight, so I believe I'm going to have my body fat percentage checked professionally at my university gym, and start monitoring that (maybe get it checked every month). I'd like to change my body composition until I'm at about 14-15% (I believe I'm at around 17% right now, as that was what I was at last time I was this weight). At that point I figure I'll be much happier with how I look, and maybe even start to try to gain weight (muscle). My eventual goal is to be 175 lbs, about 14% body fat (so obviously, lose fat, gain muscle, like every other person in this world wants)

BUT for now, I just want to lose BF% and not anymore lean mass, hence the program. Anyone tried/completed any of the 10 week guided programs for YAYOG, or have any tips for me as a starting weight lifter (I guess, even though it's body weight)? I wake up at 6 am every day, and have a few hours before class, so I'll be going to the university gym in the mornings, just because I enjoy the environment, and might take a swim or jog the track for a bit of cardio to accompany my program.

Thanks!

Replies

• sheep_dog
    sheep_dog Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Really no one has tried this? Has such great reviews I thought at least someone would have.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    tabbed for later
  • jaysull21
    Options
    tabbed for later

Same.
  • trisikkha
    trisikkha Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have not personally tried it, but know a LOT of people on Fitocracy who swear by it (they have a whole group dedicated to it). From my understanding, it is a great program and a good way to build muscle. I've considered doing it while getting back into the game from a torn muscle before I hit the weight room again.

From what I've read in the group posts and whatnot, if you start from the beginning and don't try to overdo anything (like doing two days worth of workouts in the same day), you should very easily build up your endurance and ability to do the more complicated things later on in the book. There are also YAYOG tutorials and answers to questions on YouTube.

Not sure if that helps you or not, but hope it does!
  • sheep_dog
    sheep_dog Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yeah it really does! I'll be starting tomorrow =). Thanks for sharing. Maybe I'll try to get a group going on here!
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I am currently in week one of the beginner 10 week program. I don't have the book, just the app, but I like it as I can't afford a gym membership. I think starting a group is a great idea!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded the app and will join the group if one is made. I haven't started it yet. I'm debating getting the book. The new book for women only I'm a little put off by the fact that you need to either hang off a door or install a pull up bar. I live in a rental and don't want to break the door and am not allowed to drill something like that into the wall.

Any thoughts?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Its a good beginner intro into bodyweight training.

I train with mostly bodyweight, though I use a much more advanced program.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded the app and will join the group if one is made. I haven't started it yet. I'm debating getting the book. The new book for women only I'm a little put off by the fact that you need to either hang off a door or install a pull up bar. I live in a rental and don't want to break the door and am not allowed to drill something like that into the wall.

Any thoughts?

Door frame pullup bars will not break the door.

At worst you'll have to eventually spend 5 minutes putting a new coat of paint on it.

If it seems too flimsy, pop a few more trim nails in it. Don't be overly concerned though, the way they load the door frame, door frames are very strong.
  • AddieOverhaul
    Options
    Thanks!

Also, I checked, and there is already a group for YAYOG - which I just joined!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    YAYOG was one of the first things I used as a resource when I got in the body weight strength thing
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Not really very hard to do. Dips between two chairs, upside down rows under a table, decline pushups off a sofa. I can go on....3 things out of about 50 I use....
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

Any thoughts?

At worst you'll have to eventually spend 5 minutes putting a new coat of paint on it.

If it seems too flimsy, pop a few more trim nails in it. Don't be overly concerned though, the way they load the door frame, door frames are very strong.

I agree. If you are worried about pulling the door down off it's hinges, just slide a door wedge under the door and that will stop the door taking all your weight. The real problem I had with door pullups was the drag of pulling my body up the door and back - finding it more comfortable to use a pull-up bar that fits through the door frame - the harder you pull on it, the tighter it cams into the frame, so no chance of it sipping in the middle of a pull-up.
  • AddieOverhaul
    Options

Any thoughts?

I agree. If you are worried about pulling the door down off it's hinges, just slide a door wedge under the door and that will stop the door taking all your weight. The real problem I had with door pullups was the drag of pulling my body up the door and back - finding it more comfortable to use a pull-up bar that fits through the door frame - the harder you pull on it, the tighter it cams into the frame, so no chance of it sipping in the middle of a pull-up.

Thanks everyone. I actually don't have doorframes on my doors (weird right?). I'm renting a suite in a super old house so that won't work but I will slide something under the door and try that out. Thanks!