Body pump class or free weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    pump was my first exp w/ weights. loved it. favorite thing about my (former) gym. but i'm a cardio bunny anway. trying to change that... :blushing:
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input :) think I'm going to do a few body pump classes and then move onto free weights :)
  • PurePlaya2000
    PurePlaya2000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bodypump is a great class. The first thing you want to decide is if you want to gain strength, or do you just want a beach body? if you want to gain strength ( and by strength I mean being able to bench press 200lbs or squat 300lbs) then no this class is not for you. if you want a beach body ( having all the cuts and abs and such) then body pump is the class for you. if you do the class properly, you can burn about 1000 calories per class. the class will get you as stong or stronger than the average person.
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    free weight is supperior to all
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Do both!
    I do pump Mondays and Thursdays and then 3 days of free weights with some cardio tossed in.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to point out that free weights are used in Body Pump.
    I think you're asking if it would be more beneficial for you to start with the class, than to start with a program. (If I am wrong here I apologize)
    My answer would be "It depends". If you are a true beginner and have no clue about the lifts a better option may be to hire a professional to teach you proper form of basic (common) strength training exercises and then decide how you want to proceed from there.