Feeling starved after running! HELP PLEASE!

Options
Hi everyone!

I have been running quite a bit lately and I am encountering a huge problem. I am starving the day after my run. For example: last night I ran 6.5km in 45 minutes, this morning I feel soooo hungry I could eat a horse...or a whale!

I usually eat back the calories lost so I don't understand why this is happening.

Does this happens to anyone else out there? If so, what did you do to fix that problem?

Replies

• Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Have you tried having a protein drink right after your run. This would provide your body with the fuel that you burned off during the run!

Karen
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    It's called being "rungry" and it happens to most runners. Make sure you're getting enough protein - plan a high protein breakfast the day after you run (Greek yogurt, eggs, etc) to help combat it. Drink plenty of water too.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Same here. I haven't found a way to fix it yet. At least I am not gaining weight, so I guess that's a good thing.
  • tejor
    tejor Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like to drink a glass of Chocolate Milk!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's called being "rungry" and it happens to most runners. Make sure you're getting enough protein - plan a high protein breakfast the day after you run (Greek yogurt, eggs, etc) to help combat it. Drink plenty of water too.

Ha ha, I imagined Scooby Doo saying "Rungry".
  • jogy
    jogy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Oh boy! This si where I am worried. Because I do eat protein in the morning. I have made myself what I call a fruity oatmeal. I use berries, oatmeal water and vanilla protein powder to beef it up. Maybe I will add some more protein powder because I only get half a scoop per serving. THANKS A MILLION!
  • jogy
    Options

LOL!!!!:laugh:
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Do you eat after you run?
    You need something for recovery within 30 minutes of finishing to keep the hunger away. I usually pick something like chocolate milk or yogurt. Sometime a clif bar or a homemade smoothie.
  • jogy
    Options
    Oh boy! This si where I am worried. Because I do eat protein in the morning. I have made myself what I call a fruity oatmeal. I use berries, oatmeal water and vanilla protein powder to beef it up. Maybe I will add some more protein powder because I only get half a scoop per serving. THANKS A MILLION!

I was replying to Flora!!! Forgot to quote!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat back your exercise calories the day you exercise. All you need is a weekly deficit.

If you are more hungry the day after, save the extra for then instead.

I have the same thing when I lift, it's not just a running thing, it's an exercise thing. :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    training makes you hungry...it is one of the primary reasons that actual fitness goals often conflict with weight-loss goals.
  • AshleyMeggg
    AshleyMeggg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I like to drink a glass of Chocolate Milk!

This this this this this.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same as Lauren. I was focusing strictly on my daily calorie goals and feeling very hungry on my "rest" days. Last week I calculated my TDEE and decided to divide my calories evenly across the week instead of eating my running calories back the day I burned them. I'm still at a deficit and don't feel as deprived on non-exercise days.
  • jogy
    Options
    I was going to say the same as Lauren. I was focusing strictly on my daily calorie goals and feeling very hungry on my "rest" days. Last week I calculated my TDEE and decided to divide my calories evenly across the week instead of eating my running calories back the day I burned them. I'm still at a deficit and don't feel as deprived on non-exercise days.

This is a revelation. I never thought about it that way!
  • jogy
    Options
    Do you eat after you run?
    You need something for recovery within 30 minutes of finishing to keep the hunger away. I usually pick something like chocolate milk or yogurt. Sometime a clif bar or a homemade smoothie.

What I am noticing from all the replies is that I don't eat protein enough. I usually eat a homemade fruit salad with 1/4 cup of granola cereal (it has nuts but not enough!)
  • jogy
    Options
    training makes you hungry...it is one of the primary reasons that actual fitness goals often conflict with weight-loss goals.
    AMEN!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    My solution to this issue is to run nearly every day!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I always lose the easiest when I don't train, because I'm not so hungry. It pretty much sucks. LOL
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It'll only get worse as you up your mileage or speed lol! At about 4 miles, you don't need to eat back a ton, but it looks like what you are eating isn't necessarily filling.

I usually run in the afternoons right before dinner and then get to eat a meal afterward. On my long run days, I run after lunch. Lunch is usually half a PB sandwich on wheat (small so I don't get sick when I run) but then I have a second 'lunch' when I get home. Usually that's cheese and fruit or veggies, a turkey sandwich, a bowl of cereal with milk, sometimes a glass of chocolate milk with a small salad or even an english muffin with PB.

You'll find a balance and then the hunger will even out.
  • TexasDarling09
    TexasDarling09 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

LOL!!!!:laugh:

ditto :P