Feeling starved after running! HELP PLEASE!

Options
2»

Replies

• hidbee
    hidbee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love a protein shake after I run, or some cheese or a few pieces of turkey lunch meat. Try some protein rich foods, milk (chocolate=the best!), cheese, or a boiled egg. Sometimes I carry a few grapes with me (seriously, try it) for a little mid-run fuel. The morning after I have oatmeal (no fruit) and another egg. Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of water. You could be a little dehydrated. I have a Nalgene bottle that I refill (literally) 6 or 7 times a day.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same as Lauren. I was focusing strictly on my daily calorie goals and feeling very hungry on my "rest" days. Last week I calculated my TDEE and decided to divide my calories evenly across the week instead of eating my running calories back the day I burned them. I'm still at a deficit and don't feel as deprived on non-exercise days.

This is a revelation. I never thought about it that way!

There are risks and benefits. The risk is that I calculated my TDEE based on the fact that I run three regular runs and one longer run per week. If I've already been eating at that level (minus 20%) for most of the week and suddenly something happens and I can't make all four runs, then I may have already overeaten. But honestly even then I *might* eat at maintenance for a week and not lose. I won't have binged terribly.

The benefit is that I'm less likely to slack off a run for laziness because I know I'm already eating at that level for the week! :laugh:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Eat! If you're truly hungry, just eat something. Try to make it high in protein to help build those awesome muscles you just worked out. Protein also keeps you feeling full longer.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I carry a 64-oz jug around with me and if I run at night, I find that I'm starving (for water!) the next morning. Try drinking a lot and see if you're still hungry.

For something fun that might satiate you - try Arctic Zero brand ice cream bars. They are made with whey and are low cal and high in protein. I will sometimes have one after I run at night if I want to recoup some calories and the sweetness satiates me.