Losing the baby weight

Options
Hi, I just had a baby a week ago. I am ready to get back into exercising and would like to know if anyone has any tips for losing weight post-pregnancy. Looking for help and support...

Replies

• BeaGetsFit2k16
    BeaGetsFit2k16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest exercising quite yet as your body just went through alot with pregnancy and delivery. Of course please consult your doctor as to when would be appropriate for you to resume normal activity usually 6-8 weeks but I've heard some as early as 4 weeks. At this point I would simply watch my diet if you're trying to lose weight, but if you're breastfeeding then I don't recommend cutting calories as you will need them to produce milk. Best of luck, it took me almost 6 months to get rid of my weight and I was also breastfeeding so just take it slow and enjoy your baby. The weight will come off as long as you're eating healthy :)
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I also would not suggesting working out yet.
    My doctor told me to give it 6 weeks post baby before starting.
    Also, careful eating at a deficit if you are nursing.
    My best suggestion at this point is to eat super healthy. Focus on lean meats, fruit, vegetables and whole grains.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the above, and congrats on your new little bundle of joy!
  • vanryswicksl
    vanryswicksl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about loosing the weight right away. Just do some light exercise if you feel up to it, walk for half an hour, do some light weights to try to tone what you have (5-8 lbs max) and try to find a comfortable routine that works for you and the new baby.

I had two c-sections with complications and lost the weight fast, but am still working to lose the belly 2/4 years later. I know that I was only beginning to feel human when my 8 weeks of maternity leave were over take things one day at a time and don't get discouraged if you have a rough day.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! ENJOY the baby right now! You just gave birth!
    I agree, its up to the doc how long before exercise, your body must heal!

if BF, then you need to figure out your calories and add 500 a day to that number. Drink plenty of water. Rest when you can. Don't be super mom. It took 9 months for the weight to go on, it takes a bit for it to come off.

Eat healthy
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Patience. And a lot of it.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    congrats!
    its best to not even have kids.
    they are hellions.
  • Trissyboo
    Trissyboo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Babies are truly a blessing. I agree with others, take some time and enjoy your little one. Also try to get as much rest as you possibly can. Although he/she may sleep a lot now.. that will not last very long. Trust me I know as I have a 14 month old and the first 4 months were the hardest for me. Wait until after your 6 weeks check up and then start with something light and build your way back up. IT will take some time but it will happen. I have lost all of my baby weight and it took me a year.