cold weather=lack of motivation & depression

Options
2»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a light box, bundling up and getting outside during daylight hours, any time you're not actually in a blizzard, can be highly beneficial. The first 5 minutes are the most important, and more often is more important than spending a long time at it. I try to make every little errand or chore that takes me outside into a short outdoor walk around the block. Even if it isn't sunny outside, the light still does you a lot of good.

P.S. I have a hard time keeping my spirits up through the winter. Good luck! The days start getting longer again in December!
  • gennasmom1998
    gennasmom1998 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a Tennessee girl and we have cold days here too. My doctor has told me that as long as it is above 25 degrees and conditions are permitting outside, I need to walk. I understand the darkness. Allof my exercise comes from walking to the office from the train station or trolly stop, which gives me about 10-15 in the morning, both breaks 15 minutes each and lunch 30 mintues of my hour lunch and 15 minutes to the train in the afternoon. That is my exercise for the day. I have been working my fitness pal since 9/30/13 along with a pedometer program on my phone. I look forward to my phone dinging that I have reached my goal of 10,000 steps a day. That is what keeps me motivated and the fact I am getting my emotions in check. I am an emotional eater. I take it a day at a time and as long as I stay with my caloric goal and my exercise goals. I feel better emotionally. good luck
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I live in a cold weather region...and the cold just hit. soon the days will become shorter and shorter to where i will go to and from work in darkness. it really gets me down, even depressed. Perhaps a bit of seasonal affective disorder. i find it hard to stay on track with eating and exercise (the limited exercise i did do) during winter months. can anyone relate? I need to find motivation to stay positive--not just for nutrition/fitness aspects but for general mental health. Another winter of chilly cold, wind and snow...ugh.

I lived in the cold of Buffalo for a long time and we ran all winter. Never bothered with a treadmill. And we ran fast. Cold is just an excuse to not get out there. I miss those Tuesday night ten milers. Now I live in the heat of Florida and have the summer extremes..same deal. Suck it up and get out there. Of course, that assumes you are not injured or sick. If so, then we have the right to rest and take some time off, but if not then you have to treat it like work and make sure you get it done.

And if you can't get out there because of the cold, then hopefully you can work out at a gym where it is always warm.
  • motherwesser
    motherwesser Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I live in a colder region too (New Hampshire). I know it can be harder to be active in the cold dark months. However, I make sure I use my gym membership daily. Also, I try to just bundle up and do as many activities outside as possible.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Move to Florida !!.....Gets chilly (cold) here too, just no snow. Join a Gym or buy a treadmill !