Weight Loss: Plateau or Just Being Impatient?

Options
I want to say that I'm on a weight loss plateau but I think I'm just being impatient. In any case, I was wondering if I could get some suggestions.

Stats:
Female, 5'4''
155 lbs (at the moment) trying to get to 140 lbs.
Calories: 1300 a day

I lost about a pound 2 weeks ago after cutting out bread for a few days. I don't have a lot of time to exercise because I work a lot and the job I have at night is very physical. My calves ache at the end of the workshift so I figure I'm getting workout time in. I keep to 1300 cals and sometimes dip under to 1200 cals.

I know the last 10-15 lbs are the hardest but I have no clue how to go on from here. How long do I wait it out hoping I lose some weight again? :grumble:

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Your age matters too.

I'm 5'5", 35, and I've been losing 6 lbs a month on 1600-1700 calories sitting on my butt most of the day and just walking 60-90 minutes a day on average. I'm 146 lbs now. And I eat what I want within my calories.

Eat more.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing people post to "Eat more" to lose weight. I just can't understand the concept. I feel like I'm going backwards if I eat more. Can someone explain in a way that makes sense to me? lol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing people post to "Eat more" to lose weight. I just can't understand the concept. I feel like I'm going backwards if I eat more. Can someone explain in a way that makes sense to me? lol

Your body needs enough food to run. The same way a car needs enough fuel to run. :flowerforyou:
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I would probably drop 100 calories and see what happens
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Your body needs fuel. I know it's pumped into us to lose weight eat less and move more...That's not always the case. If you only eat 1300 calories a day, say you burn 300 calories that leaves you with 1000. You body basically needs 1200 a day just to function in a coma (sure it can survive on less for awhile...but that will backfire). The more you work out the more fuel your body needs. It's like a car, if you want to take a long road trip you have to fill it up. You can't get far if it's on empty.

I eat about 1800-1900 a day. Losing weight. I eat what I want. If I'm hungry I eat, even if it puts me a little over.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

I liken it to a campfire.

Too little wood and the fire will go out (weight loss stalls).
    Add more and more wood until the fire is crackling along nicely, and keep feeding it regularly to keep the fire going (weight loss - woohoo!)
    But add too much wood and the fire will get out of control (weight gain)
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Sunday your diary is empty. There's a day you had fish but only ate an ounce? Days missing lunch where you only have 700 calories logged. Tons of food that I'm not sure if you're weighing it out or guessing? Consistency is key. Weigh and measure everything you can. Be 100% honest about everything you eat. While I wouldn't only eat 1300 calories, you should be seeing weight loss.
  • inferiormeatsack
    inferiormeatsack Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Today I upped my calories too, after finding my TDEE. I am 5'9 and run almost an hour or more everyday (sprint intervals) and I was only eating 1300 calories, I was not sleeping and my head was hurting at times. I upped my calories to 1700 but I may even go above that I am not sure, I will note that I am starting to lift (very slowly I hate weights) and I am not eating back the calories I burn, though I am easing off the extreme running.
  • pjole
    pjole Posts: 7
    Options
    Yeah the past weekend I really couldn't log, I just wrote it on a piece of paper and kept it in mind. I'm usually really good about logging.

I've scanned the thousands of threads that say to eat more but most people on that "eating more" plan consciously go out and exercise, lift weights etc. I can't realistically commit to that since I never know what time I'm free. I guess I will try eating more, maybe 1400-1500 see how that goes.

Thanks everyone. :heart:
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Add more and more wood until the fire is crackling along nicely, and keep feeding it regularly to keep the fire going (weight loss - woohoo!)

You can liken it to what you want - I'm studying for my PhD in biology and if you eat less than you burn, you'll lose weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

You can liken it to what you want - I'm studying for my PhD in biology and if you eat less than you burn, you'll lose weight.

Good ol law of thermodynamics. But keep in mind weight loss can be masked due to water retention. And long periods of caloric suppression can lead to reductions in RMR's.

OP, you really need to make sure you are logging correctly, meaning, you need to weigh foods (even if it's done prior to going to work) and make sure account is set up properly. With 20 lbs to lose, you goal should be 1 lb per week and your account should be active probably. But if you don't log right, it all goes out the window
  • kgerm317
    kgerm317 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest going to a site like iifym.com to calculate your TDEE and then deduct 20% to determine how many calories you should be eating. Then be sure to get plenty of protein, healthy fats, fiber and sleep!

Good Luck!
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options

For many years I didn't know how to figure out how to determine how many calories I burn a day. I have always read that a pound a week of weight loss is 500 calories less or split with added exercise - but less than what???

Find out your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (you burn more than your BMR everyday doing daily things, plus this equation can include your exercise) and then deduct 500 calories or 20% from that number.

Too many people eat 1200 - 1500 calories a day (I was one and it was recommended by an RD) when we can actually eat more than that. This is why so many yo-yo diet. You cut back so much then you binge or "fall off the wagon". A more realistic approach will help you keep the weight off as well.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Just dont think of it as eating more. Think of it as properly fueling your body. Essentially a less aggressive weight loss goal produces better results because you get enough calories to sustain lean muscle and you prevent plateaus from not enough calories. Bodies don't like to lose body fat as it's the most prevalent form of energy. So if you get enough fuel from caloriesyour body becomes more willing to lose weight.
  • pjole
    pjole Posts: 7
    Options
    LOL too funny. I went to iifym.com and it told me to just eat 50 cals more each day.
    I'll just have to ease up on the mono-fats I love so much :grumble:
  • psuLemon
    Options
    LOL too funny. I went to iifym.com and it told me to just eat 50 cals more each day.
    What are you using for your inputs? I put in a 15% deficit and a 20% deficit and you are at least 1550-1650 calories. Keep in mind, you can't use sedentary since you have have a very active job. I would use lightly to moderately active. I personally used lightly active and got 1637 as your calorie needs.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options

its called deficit...
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    What are you using for your inputs? I put in a 15% deficit and a 20% deficit and you are at least 1550-1650 calories. Keep in mind, you can't use sedentary since you have have a very active job. I would use lightly to moderately active. I personally used lightly active and got 1637 as your calorie needs.

stop reading my mind psulemon :wink: