Do you eat beets?

Options
woodml1
woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
I think I'm ready to experiement with Beets. I'm a little scared but recently had some out of a can (we were making props for a haunted house) and they were delicious!

Do you eat beets? How do you cook them?

Replies

• litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    hell yes!
    *grated raw on a salad
    *roasted with garlic and lemon zest....or just roasted on their own
    * in a beetroot curry
    * baked in aluminium foil, serve with hommous
    *boiled whole then mashed, mixed with lentils and made into beet burgers (these are good!)
    *made into beetroot relish

just a few ideas - they're delicious and good for you
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I SURE DO! EVERY DAY!
    GOOD FOR BLOOD PRESSURE!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I don't recall, maybe when I was younger. I've wanted to try them, but I've seen how the red ones stain things!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm beety
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I eat them cooked mostly, I love them plain, or in a salad with goat cheese (and smoked salmon when I feel like it) with oil/vinegar dressing.
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    grew up eating them pickled, haven't had for a while though, miss them!
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Used to eat them alot as borscht (beet soup - can be served hot or cold - I prefer cold). Also on salads, as a side, pickled... Need to try the idea above about baking them and humuus.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yes. Love them on salads. There is a restaurant by me that has a salad with pear slices, beets, goat cheese, almonds and a balsamic vinaigrette dressing that is so delicious. My husband has always hated beets but I made him try the salad and even the beet hater loved it.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    No words video recipe:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hosRgMeUgB4#t=11
    I just went easy on the mayo, and it comes out great and healthy.

I also can cook them, than shred them, caramelize them with a little bit of tomato paste, than mix in some toasted pecans and lots of pressed garlic with salt.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Nope...I HATE beets...I just don't like the taste. I need to eat them though! They are soooo good for you! :) I may try to reintroduce them...maybe in powder form in smoothies! lol good luck with that. :)
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Yep! Love them in salads and to make pickled eggs... mmmmm I get excited when a restaurant serves them in their salads... :love:
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I like to blend them up w/ orange juice, spinach, berries & ice......
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Only if they are pickled. Yummmmmmmm.
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    I love eating bees. But don't like when they sting my tongue :(
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I scrub them , cut off the roots etc and wrap them in foil and roast in a hot oven for about 30-60 minutes (depends on how big they are and how fresh - the smaller/fresher will cook faster). then i take them out and let them sit a bit until i can handle (open the tinfoil carefully because the steam will hit you).

then I cube, slice or grate and dress:
    *lemon juice, a little oil, a pinch each of cumin, salt, pepper.
    *lemon juice, oil, sliced scallion, salt, a pinch of sugar.
    *my latest discovery is balsamic dressing - reduce 1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar with about 1 tablespoon of honey/molasses. pour over the beets, mix with a lilte olive oil, salt pepper
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I love eating bees. But don't like when they sting my tongue :(

Are you gonna release the Hounds, or the Bees, or the hounds with bees in their mouths so everytime they bark at you they shoot bees at you? Go ahead, do your worst.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Love them!:heart:
  • Gordon_L
    Gordon_L Posts: 4,475 Member
    Options
    I love beets! Cooked, pickled, whole, sliced, however....mmmm tasty AND good for you!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Rinse them well and then put them in a pot, cover with water, add 1/4 tb salt and let them boil on medium for ~ 45 min or until when you put a fork in they are soft like potatoes. Then rinse them with cold water or wait until they are cold, and peel the skin. Keep them whole, or cut in slices add vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, toss and let them marinate for an hour. Eat as snack or on top of salad.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    hell yes!
    *grated raw on a salad
    *roasted with garlic and lemon zest....or just roasted on their own
    * in a beetroot curry
    * baked in aluminium foil, serve with hommous
    *boiled whole then mashed, mixed with lentils and made into beet burgers (these are good!)
    *made into beetroot relish

just a few ideas - they're delicious and good for you

All of this! Yum!